Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,495 |  Reviews: 3,699

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Mostly clear, yellowish orange with a nice white head. Nice lacing down the glass. A very pretty beer.

Piney, citrusy, grapefruit, a fruity hop explosion, followed by some light malts. Quite an amazing bouquet - very enticing.

Everything I got from the smell and then some. The flavors change throughout the sip, but never head in the wrong direction. Super refreshing and perfectly blended hop profile with just a light malt backbone. No alcohol really detected, despite the size. Just the right amount of bitterness to be interesting, but not wrecking my palate.

Moderate body with just the perfect amount of carbonation to cut through it and keep it refreshing. Smooth and a little creamy.

I get this one whenever I can, and thankfully, it is plentiful where I live. I've yet to find one better than this, and I've had quite a few great ones in the last year (some of my favorites being from homebrewers). True perfection, and worth all the hype, in my opinion. Perfect example of West Coast hoppy IPA's.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Fresh pears, pine, citrus...I had super high expectations and it delivered big time. Toronado (SF), poured a pint that I wanted to roll around in. A truly special beer. I've had some of the best IPA's out west having worked at a brewery in Portland, lived there, and traveled up and down the coast searching for that quintessential west coast IPA. This is in the top five without a doubt.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company