Temptation | Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003

Reviews: 1,024 | Ratings: 3,615

Thanks again Ryan. Poured into tulip glass.

Apperance: Yellow/gold, pours a slight white head that fades quickly. Slight lacing.

Smell: barnyard funk, earthy, vinous, white wine.

Taste: just as it smells. Barnyard funk, earthy, white wine, oak.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, good carbonation.

Overall: A great sour. Russian River never fails to deliver. Wonderful funk. Well balanced.

On tap at Lucky Baldwin's Pasadena, Calif.

Poured a light golden color into glass. Nice mellow sour smell with no head. Very nice sour taste with definite hints of fruits which escapes me at the moment (had a beer or two beforehand, doh). A good mouthfeel that wasn't overwhelming to the palate. Very good drinkability in which I could have made this my drink all night and be very satisfied. Glad they had this on tap.

4.01/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a blinded bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a slightly cloudy golden straw color with a mild amber hue. There is a finger of thick, off white head that sticks around quite nicely. 5

Smell: This is a light sour beer. I'm getting a strong barnyard funk presence. It dominates the smell, but it isn't particularly biting. I'm also getting a mild sweetness and a hint of white wine. 4

Taste: Light and sour, but not to an extreme level. I'm getting some lemon juice and funk up front with some more herbal notes building towards the finish. The sourness builds to the finish if the sip, which also contains a white wine note. Reminds me of a mild lambic. 4

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side with smooth carbonation and a finish that is dry but could be drier. 3.5

Overall: I would call this a pleasant sour blonde ale. It's not overly biting or sour. I don't really have a guess as to what this one is, but I like it. 4

4.01/5  rDev -9.3%

Half inch white head on a clear golden body. Good head retention and above average lacing, especially for a sour.

Definite Chardonnay influenced. Honestly that's all I get from the nose.

Not overly sour. Chardonnay makes my face do funny things, dominates for me. Would guess at an 8% beer here.

Medium mouthfeel, big carbonation.

Somehow it all comes together for me. Chardonnay isn't my favorite but RR makes it work here. Thanks for the trade a long time ago stupac2.

4.01/5  rDev -9.3%

My first 5 for appearance, and it's well deserved. The head was ample and fluffy. The lacing as intricate as a snowflake. The body a rich gold, slightly cloudy.

The mouthfeel was chewy and soft, which wasn't surprising judging by the fluffy head.

I could smell a strong alcohol taste before I took my sip. The taste was balanced between tart and sweet at first, and then seesawed mostly toward tartness as I finished. There were some hints of fruits and malt to add just a tinge of complexity. I think that the strength of the tartness diminished the drinkability a bit, but if there had been another waiting in my fridge when I was done, I still would have put it out of its misery.

4.01/5  rDev -9.3%

Before I even get to writing anything else or noticing the color or head, straight away I get bubblegum smells wafting off of the glass.

I choose my St Bernardus chalice and pour from the 750 marked as batch 004X1. Head is white and ale is light golden and clear. Dissipation of head and lacing are both quick and tiny.

Bubblegum wafts into oblivion and what remains smells salty and spicy and fruity and carnal. I am impressed with the complexity and the depth. I find the sea itself is presented in this beer; maybe the oak is the culprit here.
Taste is tart and bright with chardonnay complexities and a smooth balance.

Feel is light and carbonation is full while the finish is neither dry nor sweet, but neutral and balanced.

I have been holding this beer for rather awhile (6 mo maybe) for me and I am glad I got into it when I did. It is more drinkable than I imagined but mot worth the $23 price tag. I have had many beers that were more enjoyable for substantially fewer dollars.

I would say get some if you need a change of pace and have money to burn. It resembles a Flanders ale and is quite good if you like the style.

Slainte.

4.02/5  rDev -9%

Pours a somewhat hazy golden colored beer. Not much head formation but that could easily be because of the care I took pouring this beer to make sure to not get any sediment in the glass.

Smell wine like with lemon and fruity scents much like a Chardonnay. There is a strong whiskey aroma to this. Vanilla and caramel from the oak barrels used most likely. Fairly sweet smell after your nose adapts a bit, but I can't say that it has a malty smell. Fairly spicy scent mostly black pepper.

Taste is fairly sour at the beginning but nowhere near lambic funk. The sweet and sour yin and yang here is somewhat like a Flanders Red. After three sips your taste buds adapt and the other flavors come out. Lime and oak mix with the caramel and vanilla flavors that comes out as some new wacky Mojito variant in your mouth.

Mouthfeel is good.

I have a hard time here deciding if I really like this or not. I hate sour beers as a rule but this isn't a jaw locking Lambic. Really interesting vanilla and caramel here that makes me think of a bourbon barrel beer. I guess I have to say that this isn't my first choice of the Russian River Beers.

4.02/5  rDev -9%

Batch 05X2F. Big thanks to marisatheyounger for this. Shared with the wife a couple others who never had a sour beer.

A- Pours translucent yellow. Lots of active carbonation bubbles. Nice white caps the beer.

S- Nose full of tangy citrusy aromas. Some chardonnay hints come through. The "brett" funk still makes you wonder what your about to taste.

T- Tart flavoring throughout. Get some sour apple, lemon taste, maybe a little cherry. Not as much vinegar taste as some other sours I've had, which I liked. Drinks kind of dry like a chardonnay. Still the flavors are good with the sourness along with some sweetness towards the end.

M- Not quite a medium body. Lots of carbonation in this. A little dry in the feel of it.

D- These sour beers still amaze me. At first I feel as if it's not what I would like, but as I make my way through the beer it grows on you. Lots of flavors keep you trying to discover what exactly your drinking. Not something I would drink every night, but enjoy with friends for sure.

4.02/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Undated corked and caged 375 pours a fairly hazy light gold straw color. Looks almost like a wit. One finger head rises and falls quickly, leaving only a ring around the top of the glass.

Aroma is very refreshing. Light fruits, sour apples, over ripe pears, sugar, brett, alcohol, and a touch of wheat. Fairly mild overall.

Flavor is superb. Very mild and restrained brett character, giving only a touch of sourness and funk. Smooth almost wheat beer like flavor, with light fruity yeast esters. All wrapped up in a warm blanket of smooth vanilla flavors. Delicious. Superb as it gets warmer. Mouthfeel is moderate and well carbonated. Drinkability is great.

This is one of the more "approachable" wild ales for beginers I feel. Despite that, it is a great treat for any wild ale lover. Fantastic and well rounded in every way.

4.02/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden and has a terrific lambic-like aroma. That funky cheesy aroma that those Belgians get out of their spontaneously fermented beers. That lambic character definitely is present a little bit in Temptation, with some funky met with sweet red bell pepper, then a touch of celery on the finish. The finish is a little off putting to be honest. It's a really well made and complex beer, but it misses the mark a little for me.

4.02/5  rDev -9%

Pours a hazy, golden hue with a generous 1/2" head which slowly subsides... very effervescent... like a hazy champagne.

Musty aroma... the oak is very prevalent, along with some citrus. Interesting... don't think I've ever smelled anything like it, and for that I give it high marks.

Tight, sour kick... so champagne-y and wine-y... I am amazed at this brew... it defies the boundaries of beer-dom as we know it. Fantastic. A big oaky thickness goes along with the sourness... nice and complex... I'm a fan.

While I'm not typically a fan of highly carbonated beers, this one works well because of the similarities it shares with champagne.

While delicious, this beer is not an easy drinker. The tart of the brew makes it a sipper. One to appreciate.. not to gulp. Fantasticly unique. Next stop.... Jolly Pumpkin.

Batch 002.

Pours a clear gold color with a light and fluffy head reasting on top. Second pour was a tad murkier from some yeast sediment. Nose is light and sweet. Slight citrus tang to it.

Solid flavor. Great beer to enoy all night long. Light citrus tartness hangs over this beer and comes out more prominently as it warms. Littls bits of pepper. Also, I can pick out some oakiness but honestly I am not sure what it brings to this beer. Maybe a bot more smoothness and body. Light mouthfeel and quite vinuous.

Poured from a 350 ml bottle into a snifter

A- 3 ½ finger frothy head, excellent carbonation very attractive hazy golden straw appearance
S- Funky sour notes, lemon, white grapes, hints of malt,
T- Smooth funky sour taste upfront, sour grapes, lemon juice, reminds me of white wine, very refreshing.
M- Very light on the palate, carbonation is evident, medium tart mouth feel.
O- Very nice, easy drinkability, love the grape notes and characteristics of white wine. Sourness is there but not too much that its overpowering, very complex.

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from 375ml bottle stamped as "batch 001".

I bought this in CA a few weeks ago, opened for New Years Eve. The bottle says "Blond ale aged in oak barrels." The bottle goes on to say the oak barrels are Chardonay barrels.

After trying the Supplication last night, I was prepared for this one to taste like a sour beer. It did. Strange for a beer, but a reasonable alternative for a sparkling white wine.

I liked this better than Supplication, maybe because I expected the sour taste this time. But probably I won't have it again.

4.04/5  rDev -8.6%

Batch 6.

Straw-colored and pretty clear. Small head. Kind of bubbly.

Smell is mostly barnyard aromas, some light sour notes and some green apples. I love the funk on this.

Smooth flavors, really. Light acidity underpins flavors of funk, white wine, green apple. Finishes dry and vinegar-y sour.

Light mouthfeel. Not very carbonated. Goes down like water.

This is a great, if underwhelming, sour. It doesn't smack you in the face, and I'd peg the ABV way lower than it is. But it's still a complex and well-made beer.

4.04/5  rDev -8.6%

Picked up by BA RedwoodGeorge for the trade with me, this beer came in an oddly sized (375 ml) corked brown bottle, with a wire cage to finish the package. The cork came out resoundingly, and the beer started forming head in the bottle before pouring! The vigorous carbonation action continued unabated in the oversized wine glass, and the head that formed kept building up over the first few minutes rather than dissipating, and at the end of this spectacle, the head crowned an inch above the rim of the glass in the shape of a volcano.

The body underlying Mount Temptation was pale, cloudy, and very bubbly. The aroma was soured unripe cherries and fresh cut hay. There was also a little more alcohol in the nose than I was expecting. The taste was oh so dry and tart. Not quite as mouth-puckeringly acidic as a gueze lambic, this beer still had a similar taste of a lemon-lime juice mixed with wheat ale. There was also a peppery zing followed by a tannic woody flavor, and a hint of sweetness. Unlike a true lambic, there was no horse blanket funk here.

The finish was smooth and vanilla-creamy, and the aforementioned sweetness a little more noticeable in the aftertaste. This beer exhibited a very complex flavor profile, and yet remained quite drinkable and refreshing.

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to mfielden for this one!

12.70 oz. cork-caged bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Opens with a loud "pop":

Pours golden with a large foamy white head that lasts, leaving foamy patches and broken rings of lacing.

The smell is sour/funky with yeasty breadiness and lemongrass.

The taste is sour and lemony - puckering. It has a vanilla/oak backing. Chardonnay comes through. Very wild/funky...barnyardy/musty. White wine character comes through as well. Finishes very dry.

Medium-bodied with carbonation giving an airy lightness.

A nice, well-done sipper. A power-house in the tart department. Very lemony and acidic, so as well-done as it is, it is a sipper - Try pairing with fish.

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Acquired in a great trade with urwatuh8. Thanks!

375ml bottle, states "Batch 003" but no other dating.

Appearance: pours a hazy bright golden orange. Light white head, moderately dense, dissipates rapidly, leaves lots of small lacing dots.

Aroma: sour and tangy, hints of citrus fruits, mostly lemon and maybe tart oranges.

Taste: sour sour sour! Lemon, very light hints of tangerine maybe. But the sourness is definitely the player here. The Brett comes through, though if I get another bottle at at some point, I'd like to see what it would be like in a year or two.

Mouth: Light and tingly, the Brett and sourness makes it slightly sharp. Limited to no alcohol warmth evident. Dry.

Overall: Very tasty, very drinkable beer, especially for the style, though I have to agree with others that it's a little one-dimensional. I'd buy it, but I'm not sure I'd pay the $13 it commands.

375ml bottle 7,5% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Batch 006

This will be my first American Wild Ale, I cannot wait to see how they compare to my beloved Belgian Lambics! Thanks to futura123 for hooking me up!

Appearance: Temptation has a lightly hazed, golden-yellow body, topped by a good sized white head that displays good retention and leaves some patchy lace.

Smell: Tart fruits dominate the nose with lemons, white grapes and green apples. White wine is easily identifiable as is oak and musty brett. As the beer warms light spices (white pepper) and sweeter fruits (cooked apples and hints of sweet melon and orange) become apparent, as does the faintest floral/leafy note.

Taste: As with the nose, the taste is dominated by tart fruits (white grapes, lemons and green apples), musty brett and white wine (more prominent than in the nose and easily identified as Chardonnay). Oak, light spicing and a touch of sweetness are also noted. As the beer approaches room temperature the Chardonnay character increases dramatically. Perfect Abv. cover, this may as well be 5%.

Mouthfeel: This is the one department in which I think Temptation stands up to its lambic cousins! Medium bodied with stunningly smooth, expansive carbonation. I could literally gulp this down - pity this is not a 750ml bottle!
Nice acidic bite, but far from enough to pucker the mouth. The finish is quite wine like with a refined dryness.

Overall: Temptation is a solid sour with stunning white wine character, however I feel it lacks the power and depth of a true lambic (particularly in the nose). That said, I think it is for that very reason that it scores so well on BA!

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

So I'm learning to appreciate the sour side. I had this on tap once at Stone, but, uh, don't remember too much from that day except it was a great day of beer hopping with friends.

Pours a semi-opaque sunshine hue of gold. Lots of action here. Head is big bubbled, frothy, and pops a lot. Had a crappy pour because the cork shot out at Mach2 and the beer welled up and gushed forth.

Smell is mouth wateringly sour. You know exactly what you're in for.

Taste is sour. Surprise. Sour oranges mostly. I remember liking this at Stone now! The sourness isn't overbearing like some others of the style. Pleasant. Like 'sour lite.'

Mouthfeel is a little harsh, but not rude. Probably the most drinkable sour I've had, as the style in general is masochistic.

Overall: good awa

4.06/5  rDev -8.1%

750ml bottle received via Secret Santa 09 from vasdef42. Corked and caged, Batch 004x2. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into a DFH tulip, formed a 1 1/4" bright white head over the slightly cloudy golden brew. Head continues to grow for awhile, snowconing above the rim, with thick coating lace. Aroma is tart with a touch of funk. Taste is tart from the moment it hits the tongue, coupled with some barnyard and sweetness throughout. Mouthfeel is smooth over the tongue, and drinkability is very good. Not as calm as my last one, but still a great sensory experience.

6/18/08 - 4/4.5/4/4.5/4.5
375ml bottle received via not sure when or from who, probably another I Want That BIF or something cool. Corked and caged, Batch 001. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1/2" bright white head over the slightly cloudy golden brew. Head recedes sedately, with sticky lacing. Aroma is tart with a bit of funkiness rounding things out. Taste is surprisingly sweet to start, goes moderately tart in the middle, and hits a few more interesting flavors near the close, with the funk and barrel character. Mouthfeel is smooth esp for a wild brew, and drinkability is easy and refreshing. Moderated tartness at this point makes it almost a starter to the wild side.

10/26/07 - 4.5/4/4.5/4.5/5
375ml bottle received via I Want That BIF 2 from Lou91. Corked and caged, Batch 002. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3/4" bright white head over the cloudy golden brew. Head falls slowly, with heavy coating lace. Aroma is lighly sweet with dominant tartness. Taste follows, delicate sweetness upfront, powerful tart in the middle, but with a strong oak and alcohol character at the close. Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite pleasing. Always an adventure, and I like these type of rides.

4.06/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 05X2F

A: Pours crystal clear with less than a finger of white head. The amount of bubbles racing to the top of my Russian River -tion glass is quite impressive. The bubbles hold the small amount of head in place forever, and the lacing is great.

S: The aroma is really focused on the sour end of the wile ale spectrum. Light, with some yeast, hay, and barnyard funk, the aroma certainly follows the idea of a sour blonde ale. I can't say, however, that I'm getting a lot of wine or notes from the barrel. A little too average for me.

T: The sour is there, but not in an overwhelming sense. The base blonde ale is the focus here, and is light with some funk as well. Lemon, some citrus, and grapes. I think I'm getting some of the barrel on the taste. Certainly some wine-like characteristics showing up, and probably some oak. It's very well balanced and clean drinking for a nice day out on the balcony.

MF: Light, with a lot of carbonation. Clean finish and very drinkable. The sour is just enough that it doesn't destroy the palate after putting down the whole bottle.

O: I really liked this. It won't blow you away like some of the other RR sours, but it's nothing to scoff at. Well thought out beer that I would certainly get again.

Bottled 05/30/13.

A: Cork nearly blinds me as it flies out immediately when I undo the cage. Pours a clear light amber. Tall frothy white head. Head fizzes out fairly quickly. Light and very fluffy lacing left behind. A surprising amount for a sour.

S: Oak and chardonnay for sure. Quite tart from the aroma. Has an acidic citrus component to it too. Maybe some sour apples?

T: Quite tart and sour. Lots of tart wine up front; distinctive chardonnay. Sour apples and citrus (mostly lemons I would say). Just a hint of a bready malt, it's almost graham cracker-like. Drying oak in the finish with more chardonnay and sour fruits. Between sips there is a decently strong leathery aspect as well.

M: Nice medium body. Dry. Quite dry.

O: Not bad. I am not a huge wine fan, especially chardonnay so I am biased unfortunately. Definitely adds some nice complexity at least. One of the better sours I've ever had.

Batch 5 barrel 1F

Pours a golden orangish with a bit of head. Very well carbonated. Smells tart and fruity. Lote of citrus. Tastes tart and very sour. Lots of citrus. Very light and highly carbonated. Fairly drinkable for something so tart. Overall i think it's much more drinkable than supplication

4.07/5  rDev -7.9%

Swimsum and I sampled Consecration and Temptation back-to-back yesterday. This Consecration was his. This Temptation was mine. Following review written from notes.

375mL batch 003 bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Cloudy, goldenrod-colored body with a short, creamy, white head on top. Carbonation was much lighter than the Consecration (not surprising - it was a batch 2, second bottling). Clean; no lacing.

Smell: Strong white wine vinegar, doughy malts, and citrus. Smelled a lot like chardonnay. White pepper possibly? I got some milder spices in the nose as well. Sourness was stronger here than in the Consecration we just sampled.

Taste: Chardonnay sourness loomed large. In fact, this often tasted more like wine than beer. Citrus was very apparent, but the doughy malts found in the smell were much harder to find in the taste. I would have liked some more complexity here, but maybe I just need a more sophisticated palate. I'll work on it.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, delicately carbonated, and surprisingly kinda creamy. Acidity is actually quite low. Still very sour and dry, but pretty soft on the palate for a wild ale.

Drinkability: Very good and very smooth (for a sour), but not quite as deep as the Consecration (see review here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/45653/?ba=ThreeWiseMen). I'm still sitting on a Batch 004 Temptation. I'll revisit it again after I get some more experience with wild ales.

Temptation from Russian River Brewing Company