Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Temptation | Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation
4.46/5
Outstanding
TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003

#157

Ratings: 3,715 |  Reviews: 1,031

3.52/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a light golden color with almost zero head or lace. It's a sour: whaddya expect? Sour fruit, funky Brett yeast, oak barrels in the nose.

Tastes of mildly sour fruit and Bretty yeast, but little else. Much more bland than its RR peers and quite disappointing overall. Makes me appreciate Consecration even more.

3.53/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a very active bubbly white head that recedes quite quickly and leaves only a trace of lacing.
S: Smells more of wine or cider than it does beer. Very floral smelling, along with sugary malts and a mix of spices.
T: Not exactly what I was expecting, very much like a white wine. It starts out with a bit of a sugary malt flavor, then pulls an optimus prime and completely transforms into another beast. As the bottle asks, "Is it beer or is it wine?" I think that's the problem it doesn't really ever make up it's mind. It's not bad but it's not really my thing.
MF: Very active on the tongue like a champaign, very carbonated but I think it's appropriate for this "style".
D: I think this is where this one suffers,the most, it is too much like a wine, and something that you really have to be in the mood for. Lastly it's a one and done not only because of the style but at $8.99 for 375ml it's pretty pricey. I'm glad I tried it and it'd definitely a different offering from a great brewery but I suppose it's just not my "glass o beer"

3.55/5  rDev -20.4%

Got this as an extra from Imthatguy83. Thanks a lot man!

Batch 5.

Split with my wife on a cold, snowy, dark Sunday evening. I in my Lost Abbey Sinner's club glass and she in her Ithaca tulip glass... Hers ends up looking slightly better-- nicer retention.

A deep, slightly hazy, golden blonde with a soapy 1 finger head of loose, large, fizzy, off-white bubbles-- minimal spotty lacing. This isn't bad at all for the style-- but nothing really jumps out at me as being amazing...

Flowery notes arise and begin the bouquet... A champagne like zest plays nicely with soft white grapeskins, light hay, and oaky notes. Very pleasant aroma... Of course I love the tart acidic quality as well. The taste starts out light and sweet with big floral notes-- then it dries out a bit with done nice barnyard and hay notes... A crisp tartness is nice, but I think this will open up and become really impressive with some time in the cellar.

The body seems a tad overcarbonated-- which makes it feel thin, almost a bit like seltzer water... But a champagne quality is present as well.

This is not the best wild... But it isn't bad either-- the aging potential of this is something that interests me quite a bit. It is tasty enough to be enjoyed, but complex enough to age... I will update this review when I have an aged bottle.

3.55/5  rDev -20.4%

Light gold to straw in color and cloudy with a fairly effervescent white head that fades back quickly. Aroma is of tart green apples and honey, some floral and perfumy sweetness. Taste is a nice lemon tartness with a slight oaky dryness. Light in body with a dry finish that tingles in the back of the throat. An interesting beer, I am still experimenting with the sour beers and am still unsure how much i enjoy them, but I'll keep trying every so often. I did enjoy both the flavor and the dryness from the wood though.

3.57/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted from draft. Pours a very pale light yellow. Clear with some lacing. Aroma is Brett, lemon, citrus, funk. Taste is pretty bitter with flavors of citrus, sour funk, grass and herbal notes. I'll admit I'm not a sour fan but this is well done.

Temptation from Russian River Brewing Company