Temptation | Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003

#168

Ratings: 3,748 |  Reviews: 1,036
4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

had this at city beer store in San Francisco. They said this was batch 4. Pours a clear, bright yellow at first, then turns hazy on the second and third pour. Tastes nicely sour with oak notes coming through on the finish. Very refreshing and it has the right amount of sourness. This brewery is fucking awesome.

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%

375ml bottle poured into a snifter
Batch 006
written from notes taking a few months ago

A: Pours a translucent yellow amber with just over 1 fingers width of snow white head. Head dissipates down to a thin film, but leaves a solid amount of lacing.

S: Funky yeast can be smelled as soon as you pop the cork. Sour apple and sour lemon with sweet aromas to balance out the sour, including banana and a subtle vanilla. The brett and sour characters are certainly present but there are also some traditional Belgium yeast aromas coming through. A grassy aroma as well, and even a peppery spice. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced so many different scents coming from one beer. Wow.

T: Sour apple and sour grape are noticed right away, followed by the chardonnay flavor. There is some of that belguim yeast banana flavor (that I love) that lingers in the after taste, and does a nice job of balancing out the sour. At one point I catch a hint of hop bitterness that I certainly wasn’t expecting. There is a champagne character to the beer as well. Its like a champagne/white wine/gueuze hybrid, and I like it. Doesn’t quite live up to the nose, as not as many flavors come out, but how could it. Still damn good though.

M/D: Light, crisp and refreshing. A lively mouth feel. Good drinkability as I could certainly drink more than 1 of these, and I can’t say that about all sours.

O: Overall, this is definitely a keeper. Damn expensive ($13.99 for a 375mL!) but worth it. Great job of creating the sour aura, but maintaining balance and drinkability. I would certainly recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys wild ales, sours, and to those who are just in the mood for something different and unique.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip. Batch 004x4 from 2009 release I believe. 2.5 finger, frothy, egg-white like head. Beautifully clear, golden colored body. Good lacing.

Aroma had an excellent tart aroma to it. Some light musty Brett aroma. Cherries. Light notes of oak which some light acidity. Some light bready notes.

Taste was amazing. Solid tartness up front with a crisp finish that had a light lingering tartness. Mild acidity with some cherry notes. Light notes of oak. Some mellow fruity notes with a light bready flavor. Some noticeable musty, brett notes.

Mouthfeel was medium/light body, high carbonation with a super dry finish.

Overall this was an excellent beer. Wish I had more of it laying around. Amazing tartness with some great complexity behind it.

4.39/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle batch 006 poured into tulip 17/4/12

A slight haze in a bright golden body, not a very lively pour with just a thin white cap, doesn't look like there's much carbonation in the glass but two rings of lace

S the funk is pretty mild but hard too miss, apple, pear, with lots oaked vinous notes, the funk comes out as it warms, smells great

T more vinegar and cider notes I didn't really pick up on in the nose, other then that thankfully it mimics the smell quite well, the barrel leaves its mark on this one and I'm loving it

M more bubbles then I would have guessed but could use just a few more but it's a minor issue, its sour but not turning my mouth inside-out, and just a faint aftertaste

O this bottle was nowhere near big enough, I smell, I sip, and before I know it I'm smelling an empty glass and bottle. although there's room for improvement I wouldn't change much

the more sours I drink the more I like them and this is a great example, I like the Chardonnay barrel choice it works quite well, once again I need to thank the most awesome Rutager for this one

Temptation from Russian River Brewing Company