Temptation | Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003

Ratings: 3,672 |  Reviews: 1,028

3.81/5  rDev -13.6%

I was surprised to find out I've never reviewed this beer on here. This is batch 006, poured from a 375ml bottle into a Bruery tulip at around 45 degrees. Pours with surprisingly little head, much less than the previous batches I've tried. Maybe half a finger width after a quick pour. The head is bright white, dense, and sits atop a straw colored beer with some slightly light orange colors at the deeper points in the glass. Good lacing and retention for the style.

The smell is a rather huge helping of buttery, vanilla french oak, with a little bit of a white vinegar aroma in there too. To be honest it doesn't smell all that impressive, but it's passable. To be fair, I remember liking the smell on the other batches better.

A lot of the initial flavor I get is french oak as well, and I think it's mostly due to the aroma kinda forcing that onto my tongue when I smell as I imbibe. Some sour/funky notes take place mid-sip, and some lemon, tart green apple, pear, and apricot come out to play, but only briefly and mildly. Wraps up with a quick hit of white vinegar.

Mouthfeel is great, nice consistency, about medium I guess, and a soft carbonation that feels about right. A little bit oily on the tongue as well.

Overall I remember liking the last bottle I had considerably more, so I'm guessing this batch either needs more time in the bottle or is simply not as great as the others. With that said, this is still quite a good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

I had this at the RRBC before a sampler flight of all their beers on Saturday 12/10. It came in a tulip glass. This review is from notes.

A: A big fluffy, frothy head of about 2 fingers. Great retention and nice glass lacing.

S: There is a strong white wine aroma with tart pears and grapes. Yeast aromas give the nose some funk. The aroma is definitely complex and I'm sure I could have spent more time discovering its intricacies.

T: Wow! As complex as the aroma, but clearly has hints of sour apple or pear and oaky white wine. The tannins give this some tartness and bite.

M: Light, well-carbonated, thirst-quenching and 7.25% ABV not so noticeable.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked bottle, batch 006, from Tim. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Beautuful yellow gold with excellent clarity. Soft, white head with good retention. Nice sheets of lacing.

Smell: I got a whiff of sourness when I popped the cork and immediately started salivating. Sour lemon, lime, grape and apple. Musty brett funk. The underlying beer has some sweetish pale malt and a bit of soft yeast phenolics. Love it.

Taste: This is pretty damn sour. Very tart citrus, white grape, and apple. The underlying malt is almost completely smothered out until near the end. Bretty funk taste. On the far back end, there is a bit of a harsh bitterness, like lemon peel, that lasts for thirty seconds or so after I swallow and detracts from an otherwise wonderful sour beer.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation is slightly tingly and acccentuates the tartness. Lively. The flavor coats the mouth and puckers slightly.

Overall: Another great one from RR. Except for the bitterness on the finish, which is short lived, this is fantastic.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to zoso1967 for hooking us up with this one. Enjoyed with zoso1967, TCHopCraver, and TCGoalie.

Appearance: Pours a clear light golden color, with minimal carbonation visible in the glass. Head is also minimal. In place of the head, there are wispy bubbles dancing about on the surface of the beer. Some wispy lace as well. Overall, the head and lacing are soapy in appearance.

Smell: First impression of the smell is a mint-like presence, with some lemon character mixed in. I want to say almost like Pine Sol, but in a good way. Quite sour and a bit mineral-like as well. There is also a hint of white wine grapes in the mix too.

Taste: Good balance between the sweet and the sour here. Not as face puckering as wilds can be. The sourness is a big part of the flavor, but doesn't linger too long and isn't uncomfortable. Sort of like a sweet tart. There are some of the white grapes that were in the nose as well. Ends with a bit of yeasty funk in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with just the right amount of dry, sour character. A little more sweetness than some sours, which I appreciated.

Overall: One of the better examples of the style I have had. Pretty easy to drink for a sour, and quite refreshing as well. Delicious!

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Clear straw-yellow color with fairly small white head.

Smell: Fruity aroma consisting of citrus fruits, grapes, and tart cherries with some modest funk.

Taste: The citrus fruit notes and grape aromas from the nose come through in the taste. Balanced equally between sourness and tartness. Finishes dry with a trace of oak from the barrel aging.

Mouth-feel: Light to medium body with lively carbonation.

Overall: I haven't tried Beatification, but either this or Consecration is my favorite Russian River wild ale and I've tried them all save Beatification. I've been impressed by them all but this one hits the mark for me in every way. Tasty and complex with a satisfying feel, what more can I ask for.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

3.95/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Big fluffy white head, light amber body.

S - Brett funk, sour, lemon

T - Good amount of sour, some barnyard funk, a bit of sweetness, touch of lemon, some alcohol on the back end.

M - Light, and a lot of carbonation

O - Not my favorite of the -ation beers but quite nice.

Temptation from Russian River Brewing Company