Temptation | Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003

Reviews: 1,015 | Ratings: 3,563
4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle (batch 1 drank in 2006): Poured a hazy/cloudy dirty yellow color ale with rather large white bubbly head with medium retention. Nose of farmhouse, chardonnay with a sourness resembling lambic. Taste is totally incredible with huge amount of farmhouse (there is probably a better word for this but it is the only I can think of right now), sour notes resembling a lambic and Brett, which is reminiscent of Orval. The Chardonnay barrel effect is maybe a bit too accentuated but still very interesting. Also, it might be a bit too acidic for my liking but it is still very much enjoyable. A more balance level of acid and this would have been a perfect score. Now, I just need to get my hand on some more of this.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Batch 002, courtesy of UncleJedi as part of BIF Race 2008.

Wow, this one was a gusher. I opened it, and all seemed well, and then it was like a volcano erupting on my desk. I did my best to contain it as well as possible, but there was some loss sadly. This pours a hazy light orange color with a finger of sticky foam on top.

Aroma is sour and tart, with hints of cherry, oak, vinegar, and a bit of wine. Flavor is rich and fantastic. I don't even know that I can describe it. It's sweet, tart, nicely sour, and delicious. Hints of oak and wine abound, with some nice cherry and fruit flavors as well. Alcohol is completely hidden. Amazingly well brewed. Mouthfeel is smooth, with a crisp dry finish that has some staying power.

This is an outstanding brew from Russian River. This beer deserves the hype it gets as it is utterly outstanding.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Temptation, Batch 002 - Been saving this for my birthday for about 6 months. Have high expectations for this little 375 ml corked beauty.

Pour: A quick fading champagnish head gives way to a gorgeous hazy golden orange body. Whisps of foam cling to the sides glass, some yeast percolates to the bottom.

Smell: Nose is one of apricots and sour grapes, with hints of the bret lurking in the background.

Taste: Definitelty no let down here! Crisp pineapple and orange citrus flavors explode upon the taste buds. Carbonation is exactly where it should be. Oak and chardonnay creep through and are met nicely with the bret which is does not dominate but provides enormous complexity to this beer. There is no barnyard funkiness here, rather the balance here is absolutely amazing. Everything is controlled yet I marvel at the depth of this brew.

Finish: This may be my ownly quip with this beer is that it leaves a sour funkiness in the mouth. Not a real clean finish here. Would need to rinse before swithing to a different brand as the taste lingers for a while

Vinny is true master of brewing and his creations have not disappointed. Temptation is a must for wild ale lovers and connoisseurs of craft beer.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a Kriek Bel-Vue tulip. Thanks Prospero!

Appearance- Poured golden clear until the yeast made its way into the glass and then a lovely hazy golden color presided. One finger white foamy head that lasted a short while leaving beautiful lacing.

Smell- Buttery, oaky flavors- oak aged (chardoney). Subdued vinegar with tart grape. Sweet vanilla.

Taste- Earthy. oakiness mixed with soft vanilla and mild white grape flavors. Not as tart as other Russian River sours, but well balanced through the mild sweetness. Musty flavors finish the taste.

Mouthfeel- Lots of little bubbles bursting all around my mouth. Carbonated and smooth.

Overall- This is another great beer from Russian River. If you want a sour that won't make you whole face change, then this is it.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Thank you Paul for this glorious wedding gift. I enjoyed it with Natalie and Alana. Thanks man!

a: Cloudy blonde body with a huge fluffy white head. Superb lacing, diehard head retention.

s: Sweet, sour and full of complexity. Notes of blanc de blanc champagne, lemon and grass.

t: Light malt, mildly funky brett sourness, and the spicy yeastiness you find in a. Like the nose, the flavor is very similar ro champagne. I think the lighter malt, soft brett and barrel aging lead to this champagne flavor. In any case, I LOVE IT. Excellent and unique take on the style.

m: Prickly carbonation provides a barrier between the beers body and your tongue. Again, think champagne.

d: Loving this beer. Could be the best sour I have had, but with bottles of supplication and saison with george brett in the fridge, I had better reserve my judgment. The ideal beer for introducing non-beerdrinking wine lovers to. I think any champagne enthusiast would have to appreciate this beer. I could drink it all night long, in fact, I partially regret sharing with my wife and dear friend. Maybe I am a Jack-Ass. maybe it's just that good.

Once again, thanks Paul.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to crosling for the chance to try this one.

Batch #003

A - Golden orange with a huge foamy white cap. Excellent retention and huge, chunky lacing on the glass.

S - Very saison like in the aroma. Hints of barnyward and lots of sour fruits. CHerries are the dominant. A little lemon zest mixed in as well. Excellent aroma.

T - Sour and acidic up front. Some lemon and a faint grassiness. Sour apples as well. An excellent array of sour fruit flavors. A light spiciness as well that melds well with the sour fruits.

M/D - Crisp, clean and refreshing. Medium bodied with a velvety smooth feel. Excellent carbonation and ridiculously easy drinking.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

I bought this beer six months ago. I've been waiting to try it for my 600th review! I hope this beer isn't flat due to the bad publicity r&r has gotten. A sigh of relief, the beautiful pop of a cork. Poured into a tulip glass at 46 degrees.

The Appearance: A two finger foamy, creamy, bubbly white head. The head has moderate to great retention. The head leaves beautiful lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a medium straw color with golden orange hues. The clarity of the beer is hazy. There is a lot of carbonation bubbles in the beer.

Nose:AH, (the Brett) a very pungent, bright aroma.The rich flavors of chardonnay, oak, orange, barnyard, lemon, butter, grapefruit, moldy straw, toasty, vanilla, morning dew, yeasty with a subtle sugary sweetness at the end.

Taste: The Brett and the chardonnay are the initial flavor on the first sip. The flavors are morning dew, moldy hay, and some light barnyard notes. The chardonnay has notes of butter, vanilla, oak, lemon, grass, and a subtle sweetness. Other flavors in the beer is orange, grapefruit, floral, a sour note, and yeast. The malt is slightly toasty.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, subtle sourness, and clean.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. I am so surprised by this beer and how it taste. The Brett isn't overpowering, but plays equals roles in beer. I am just wowed by how amazing the flavors are, crisp, and very easy to drink. I am very glad that this was my 600th review.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

pours a clear straw yellow into a snifter. Fluffy two finger head leaves sticky lacing all over. Citrus & earth on the nose, with the vanilla oakiness pushing through. Super complex on the tongue. The sourness is more on the lemony side, with green grape & melon. The oakiness comes as it warms, with a greater vanilla & earthy presence. The Chardonnay barrels are duly noted, adding a tannic pucker along with the lemon sour. Dry & crisp, a great summer sipper. There's a very good reason these Russian River sours are so sought after! They're delicious!

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at the brewery. Brought to the table with a small white foamy head sitting on top of a straw golden colored ale. Major lacing for lacing fans. The aroma is amazing! Floral (major rose), banana, pear, bubble gum and funk. A lot going on and it's all good! The taste has a sour barnyard funk with a spicy kick on the swallow. Not as sour as I thought it would be which makes it even more enjoyable. Awesome stuff. Nicely carbonated and a high drinkability though the sourness makes this a sipper. Overall I was very impressed with this drink. It has all the necessary characteristics needed for an unforgettable sour ale.

4.78/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to JeffKenner for the chance to try this.

A- Poured into a snifter from a 375ml corked and caged bottle noting it is from Batch #002. Pours a bright orange-yellow with a nice white pillowy head. Carbonation bubbles are rising up the beer as it sits. Beautiful beer.

S- This has a nice sour nose but not pungently sour. Some definite funk but not barnyardy. Citrus notes like lemon and orange with a slight grapey nose.

T- I got a hit of the chard grape in the beginning followed by some sour pedio and lacto notes. The finish get a drier and a bit more sour. You get the chard barrel leftovers in this beer very nicely. It isn't overpowering but just right. I get some Brett funk throughout this beer but at no point does it overwhelm the more subtle flavors. This is a great beer. I would like to try this without the wine notes too.

M- This is a really nice beer in the mouth. The carbonation makes it seem almost creamy when you are drinking it. I can see why they had to recork the bottles b/c this is about max carbonation I would want in a beer. It fits the style perfectly though.

D- This is another stellar offering from Russian River. I cannot wait to try more of their beers in the coming years. I could drink this beer all night.

4.78/5  rDev +8.1%

Batch 03

I can't get enough of this beer. This is by far the best beer I've had yet this year. There's some yeast in the bottle, so pour gently. A good pour leaves a brilliant crystal clear straw yellow beer with lively bubbles that lift to the top of the glass creating a rocky white foamy head. The acidity is not overpowering and it plays nicely with the high carbonation and apple, citrus and wine aromas and flavors. To me, this beer defines craft brewing.

4.79/5  rDev +8.4%

Received from my boy AndySR in trade. Thank you!

Temptation pours a hazy yellow with two fingers of head in my tulip glass, and it left patchy lacing on the glass. The earthiness of the Brett comes out full force with a funky sourness with hints of lemons, apples, oranges, chardonnay. The flavor profile starts out slightly sour with flavors that remind me of granny smith apples, lemons, and unripe cherries. I also get a good dose of chardonnay flavor from the barrel aging. This is so pleasant and the flavors meld very well in the profile. I was still finding new things as I drank the last drop of this beer. The ever changing fruitiness on this beer is my favorite aspect of this beer. There is a great deal of expected carbonation in this beer that leaves a dry sensation on the mouth that is actually quite smooth. The drinkablity for this beer is amazing and I hope I can get some more of this beer.

Overall this was an incredible drinking experience. I know it is beer, but right now is has a great deal of wine characteristics to it. I would really like to get my hands on more and age it for a year or two because I think this beer would only get better. I honestly hope though that it doesn't get any better because I would do dirty and despicable things to get more of this beer.

Thank you Andy!

4.79/5  rDev +8.4%

Really glad to try this one from a bottle. It's definitely better than on tap. It might be my favorite beer.

Nice looking in the glass, with a pale golden tint and slight haze, depending on which pour. Yeastier down at the bottom of the bottle. Crisp head that faded to good lacing and a film.

Stupendous aroma of top flight white wine. Excellent tartness in there.

Depth of flavor that surpasses all but the best of the best. A very unique wine-like taste that begins sour but mellows into a complexity that I wish white wine had. I would substitute this for white wine with a meal every time.

Surprisingly great mouthfeel. Good carbonation, and the sourness never builds. Very drinkable and refreshing.

4.79/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

golden yellow, some sediment sustained in the liquid as if it were jello(?)... nice covering of the thin layer-foam when tilting the glass . . . .
smell is Belgian yeast rich, fruity. green apples? but you certainly know where you're going with the nose on this one....
slightly tart up front, slightly acidic and vinegar-y in the middle, and wine-y grape-y towards the end. not a wine, but not (quite) a beer either(?). a majestic 'fermentation', shall we say?
some sweetness somewhere in the middle of all this. I completely understand the incredibly high scores for this brew. I love this. I like sours, but this isn't totally 'there'. it's definitely a unique brew which Russian River just seems to be so capable of producing. now there IS a certain residual 'property' which lingers on the sides of the tongue as it builds up with continued draws... i'm not sure how to classify it, but it IS a 'residual' of some sort. not quite 'chemical'. not completely 'organic'. and not always present. this is certainly one of the great brews to have tasted... I completely bow down to Russian River for the successes... very rich, very pronounced properties. a little more difficult to acquire down here in orange county, and definitely one you need to grab if you ever find it on the shelf. IF you're open to a slightly sour brew... rescued the day!! compared to that Alaska mikkeller, this is heaven!!!!

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

I am not a fan of sours I found out recently. This beer however I find to be outstanding. I had supplication last night and did not review it because I passed it off to the girlfriend who loved it. This bottle is for me, I no share.

A: Dull yellow straw color. Looks like a macro lager. Thin white head that doesn't stick around.

S: Tart, acidic, and sour smells. Some oak in the back ground. Some white wine character, pear, sour apples, white grapes and some sweetness. Some funk but not too much.

T: Tart tannin rich and oaky. Pears, sour apples , white grapes and some light funk. This really isn't as funky as I'd of thought. So much acidic tartness rolls over the funk that would be there.

M: Thin and spritzy, dry finish and refreshing.

D: Great. I love this beer and want more...I mean this sucks and don't buy it. ;)

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a tulip. Batch 004x5.

4.5 A: Hazy golden straw color. Two fingers of pillowy white head. Most of the head falls quickly, but the last 1/2 finger sticks around for a long time. Plenty of lacing.

4.5 S: Brett funk for sure, but way more funk that just the brett alone. Tons of barnyard funk with hay and horse blanket. Healthy fruity tartness backs up the funk. Oak tones linger. Very nice.

5.0 T: Brett barnyard funkiness again. Tart, but not overly so, fruitiness including wild orchard red apples and peaches. Straw and peppery yeast. Oak hits the spot as well. It does have plenty of chardonnay aspects as well. Excellent.

4.5 M: Lighter medium mouthfeel. Bubbly carbonation is perfect. Smooth with no major flaws. Tangy tartness on finish.

5.0 D: The most drinkable wild and one of the most drinkable of any brew. I could sip this all night long. I wish my bottle was 3L.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

750 of batch 4 shared with my wife.

A-Very bright slightly hazy golden ale. Pretty much no head but that doesn't mean it's flat.

S-Sour, acidic, sweet grapes a little wood.

T-The taste follows the nose. The wine barrel really comes through in the finish, oaky, sweet a little tannic.

M-light bodied with a little carbonation.

D-Really nice. Not overpoweringly sour.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer hits of white wine and a strong tartness in the front. It's very lemony and citrusy with a general theme of apricot. A light crackery malt in the middle along with a nice touch of cherries. After the citrus, the barrel gives some oak notes and drying.

A very tart, yet well balanced sour. One of my favorites from Russian River.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a snifter, revealing clear light gold bubbling body under a tall but quickly dissipating white head. Smells like fresh apricot, sour lemon, white grape, slight funk, some oak and a little tart cherry. Clean smells.

Tastes more little grainy and very smoothly sour compared to the older vintage I've had (this is the most recent). Pleasantly bitter. Nice gentle apricot presence along with some sweet white grape. Entirely delicious fresh and with age. Mouthfeel is tingly and a little dry, medium carbonation. Light to medium-bodied. Refreshingly drinkable.

I would have this beer every day if I could.

Batch 05X3

Body is a clear yellow gold. Half-inch head pour dissipates quickly to a collar with no lacing.

Very much a white wine (chardonnay) aroma, with oak wood and vanilla, some barnyard funk and band-aid, and bready malt background.

Tastes of malt and white grapes up front, then lemony citrus, finally turning a little citrus peel bitterness in the dry finish. Has lots of acidity, but is not vinegary--more like a highly acidic wine, but definitely a lemony dimension.

Body is light and carbonation is fizzy, giving this a refreshing, crisp mouthfeel. Really scrubs the palate clean.

This is a delicious sour beer, low ABV, very drinkable. While this would pair with lots of food, I'd love to pair this with roast chicken with lemon, garlic, and rosemary and some frites.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

This one by far one of the most unique beers I have ever had the privilege to drink. The color was light golden with a large head, which left exquisite lacing. You could possibly mistake the appearance and/or bouquet for champagne, but with much less carbonation. The aroma was outstanding, with heavy French oak, vanilla and mild citrus.
I was still trying to figure out how to describe the taste an hour after finishing my glass. I have to agree with the cliché and mention the wine-like taste (possibly some tannins?), with pear, apple, vanilla, oak, starting off sour and leaving a VERY long, sweet, smooth aftertaste of sweet fruits and banana on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel was also excellent and smooth and creamy.
I could definitely drink this with dinner or stand-alone. It was refreshing and nearly perfectly balanced; leaving me wanting to check out the rest of what Russian River has to offer. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these.

batch 03

Just popping from the cork, my nose is greeted with big whiff, reminding me of funky fresh goat cheese, with a light lemony zest in the background. It foams just to the top of the bottle, barely breaching the surface. Poured into the glass it has a big bone white head, with fair retention and some lacing. The taste is amazing, its very tart and dry with a nice citrus background. the finish is impeccable full of oak and butter, really drawing out the california chardonnay from the barrels. The buttery finish makes an odd sensation on the way down, but other that its very fizzy and very drinkable!

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks so much to tenderbranson69 for bringing this to our wild ale tasting -poured from the 375 ml into a tulip chilled. Batch 05x1

The color is golden like sparkling apple juice with light haziness and thick band of white atop with tiny beads stacked upon each other. There are streamers of lace left adhering to the glass after the head settles. the aroma of malt and sour odors combine and are graced by the esters derived from the wine barrel which have wood notes and light fruit w/ mild hop aroma accompanying. the wild yeast scent is strong with both floral and fruit notes and acidic tangy smell is present in the aroma. Both mild hop in the feel and yeast texture which has lactic sourness and with tart aspect that are also fruity but not too forceful -delicate balance is shared between the bacteria and mild astringency w/ light touch of hop spice and alcohol. The wood provides a nice accent to the sour elements.

The wine action gives way to herbal and tannic tastes w/ a sour white wine grape flavor up front. I must say I didn't notice as much wine barrel contribution when I tasted this on tap, but it is pretty apparent in the bottle -not sure how long this one was cellaring. The slight tropical element is a nice addition to the vinous qualities in this with slight spiciness from the yeast and hops. The hop presence is more assertive than in other wild ales which I enjoy -it is just enough to add to the fruitiness from the bacteria and not too much. I found myself really holding this in my mouth longer to pick out more of the flavor until a semi dry finish as it is swallowed. This is truly great - A beer I could never get tired of -the hop, barrel and blend of wild yeast and bacteria are all playing and major part w/ lots of strong flavors, yet it is pretty easy to forget the abv and drink it like its juice. I appreciate the effort it takes to produce a quality brew like this.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

An eccentric corked and caged, 12.7 ounce bottle. Batch 003.

Canary yellow with a golden brass glossing. The beer is both lambent and radiantly clear despite its light haze. It's much darker than champagne, but otherwise shares an awful lot of resemblance. A milky blanket of lace comes to overlay the glass. This because an immaculately pristine capping of whipped mousse lay bountiful with an almost dizzying steadfast stream of determinant, hyperactive bubbles that maintain its perfect physique.

The smell of long over-ripened fruits, time-tested French oak, fresh baked bread, the rich yet delicate scent of Chardonnay grapes and a maturing strain of Brettanomyces makes for an aroma as pleasant and complex and unique as any drink is capable of possessing. The character of Chardonnay grapes add lush, ripe, fleshy and almost buttery qualities. It prickles the nose like champagne. I never knew there could be such a wonderful smell.

Still relatively young, the Brett is only starting to impart its notes of earthiness, barnyard and just a hint of singeing smoke. The contribution to taste is noted as well although still not yet more pronounced than the effects of the barrel. The oak itself plays a relatively minor part although it's imparted so much lush, buttery, lightly fruity flavours from the Chardonnay. Drinking this beer puts you right in a Grand Cru vineyard of Burgundy.

Especially with the Brett continuing to develop the most lucrative and unique of barnyard flavours, what people taste in the beer could be a highly subjective thing. Apart from the unbelievably strong resemblance to white wine and Champagne, I'm also picking up on all kinds of lightly suggestive fruity notes. These would include stone fruits (apple, pear), citric fruits (lemon, lime), and tropical fruits (mango, kiwi).

The mouthfeel is light but sharp and acidic. Although a mere 27 IBU's there is plenty of (almost puckering) tartness to take the place of bitterness. At times, the beer can also be rather oaky and buttery. A slightly higher alcohol percentage never factors into what is an absolutely sociable drink. The yeasty bread quality is never lost and the wild yeast continues to turn up with new - even more funky - notes when the beer's allowed to warm.

It's absolutely incredible what 17 months in a used Chardonnay barrel and a strain of wild yeast will do. This is certainly starting to come into its own after almost exactly a year since bottling. Oh how I wish I had more! Russian River's Temptation is a study in contradictions: it's so tremendously enjoyable - a light bodied, tart, highly sociable drink - and yet it also happens to be one of the most delicately intricate examples of brewing artwork.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a stemless crystal Chardonnay glass. Thanks Chickencoop!

Pours a brilliant gold into the glass, a light head rings the outside of the glass. Small bubbles float on a lake of beautiful pale yellow.

The smell wafts up, hitting me in the face. A puckering sour full of bright fruits, white grapes, muscadines, and a light barn-like flavor.

Taste is reserved and elegant. This beer knows what it's doing. The wine-like brightness and light sour blend in an amazing combination. A metallic bite on the end that has an earthiness to it, this beer is a gentle giant, a soft-spoken hulking behemoth.

Clearly this beer is over my head. I'm not sure I can pick out all the flavors, and I'm not entirely certain I ever could, no matter how much I had. I said a prayer silently thanking God and Vinnie for this thing of beauty. It's unfortunate, not sure other sours will ever be able to measure up.

Temptation from Russian River Brewing Company