Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale | Moylan's Brewery

Added by LongBeachHopHead on 08-11-2005

4.1

Ratings: 1,656 |  Reviews: 942
3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

22-oz bottle poured into tulips.

A = Deep orange, not quite clear but not overly hazy, firm one finger bone white head, good retention

S = Strong scents of grapefruit backed by a very sweet floral undercurrent.

T = Strong bitterness throughout but there is still a strong presence of some sweet flavors. Although I really felt the scents were of a grapefruit variety, the hops flavors are more pine, as stated though I also get some candy flavors that while not strongly sweet enough to really counteract the bitterness of the hops, still contributes well to the overall flavors, sweet flavors include hints of mango, papaya. This is a very decent DIPA.

M = Medium-heavy body, relatively strong and slightly stinging carbonation.

D = Goes down pretty easily for a DIPA, but I am glad I am only drinking half a bomber as more would be too much at a sitting, I think.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours a wonderful golden/orange color with thick, rich creamy lacing... quite a looker.

S - Overwhelming spicy and raw hops... lots of rich fruit, lots of pine.

T - HOPS, HOPS, and more HOPS! (big surprise) Bitter, spicy, citrusy and piney. Extremely bold, yet a very nuanced flavor profile.

M - Stands out to me as exceptionally rich and oily, really excellent.

D - This is a palate shredder and has a high ABV. I enjoyed a bomber of the course of a couple hours, and a second one would probably be too much. This is a sipper for sure.

This is a dynamite DIPA. Raw, unbalanced, and damn proud of it. Will definitely be enjoying again.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

I've been looking for this one for a few years now, so it's certainly a birthday treat!

A: Golden-bronze with a fluffy white head, good retention & lacing. Impressive for its strength.

S: Huge tangerine & pine aroma, grapefruit rind, candied pineapple & toffee.

T: Very resiny, piny, tangerine, steelie, grapefruit rind, assertive/somewhat-harsh bitterness, warming alcohol.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body, fairly smooth, slightly drying alcohol finish, certainly some hop acidity.

D: I like it, but it's pretty bold.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

much hoppy want from a trade that needs reciprocated badly from nyrangerfan...22 oz. bomber (no freshness) into my SN pint glass...

the usual suspects...three fingers of foamy and rocky tannish head...sticky lacing with great retention, hazed golden body...what else is new, lol!

super fruity nose of pineapple and citrus hops...peppery super sweet, strong hops, damn good...my kind of smells

Gilly, you were right. glad this was the last brew of the night...my tongue hurts! sweet pineapple and citrusy hops hit you first, but it leads into a painfully bitter finish...a bit one dimension and brutal, but i'm a masochist like that!

decent carbonation and oily, but a bit too thick and sticky for my tastes...

the alcohol is gone, but it's so damn bitter!!

i like this beer alot...i think it takes a special person to appreciate it...be warned, drink this last, or with nothing else.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours a somewhat hazy rich, reddish-orange color with a sticky, creamy-looking, off-white head. Great retention throughout drinking and leaves nice, sticky lacing down the glass.

S - Complex hop aromas dominate, with hints of citrus, pine, and sweet, tropical fruits. Seemingly solid caramel malt backbone. Hint of alcohol on the nose as well.

T -The hops and bitterness hit pretty damn hard. Piney, resinous bitterness and a lemon/grapefruit citrus quality. Sweeter flavors of ripe orange and maybe a bit of tropical fruit come through the bitterness as well as some floral/herbal qualties. Balanced with an ample amount of caramel malt. Finish is dry with just a hint of warming alcohol and leaves a lasting grapefruit flavor and bitterness.

M - Medium-full with a sticky resinous feel. Intense hop bomb with quite a lot of bitterness, but manages to go down smooth at the same time.

D - I really enjoyed this quite a bit. It is most likely not a beer I could drink more than one of in a sitting, but as a fan of the hops, this really hits the spot. Intensely flavorful with a nice balance and very nice, complex hop profile. I would definitely drink this again.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow! Let me just start out by saying this beer is a hop monster, an absolutely delicious one at that.

It pours a very deep and hazy orange-red-gold color with a nice thick head. The smell is of pure hops with a slight malt undertone. One sip of this hop monster and you understand why it is called hopsickle. Delcious varieties of hops combine beatifully to create an amazing DIPA, so good. The hop acidity really is detectable on the toungue along with a slight alcohol taste. Has a rather viscous mouthfeel as well. I love this beer, however I do not think I could consume more than one bomber in a night, although one is enough to satisfy all your hop craving.

4.02/5  rDev -2%

A- Poured into my Duvel glass from a bomber a amber golden orange color. The head was ivory off white. The lacing lasted nearly the whole drink! Maybe I should slow down when drinking it.

S- Was fantastic citrus almost floral bouquet that spoke to my senses saying, "yes you will drink me and you will love it!"

T - My palette was assaulted by the hops. No real hint of anything else. Aftertaste is a strong orange rind. Not nearly as good as Hop-15 in that department, but still despireable.

M- I have come to expect a certain amount of residue in my mouth from an Imperial IPA, this one did have some but was a bit thin for my liking. It was not off putting in the least just not as thick as I like it.

D- I do like Imperial IPA and this one is nice and bitter. I will say it is not close to a sessions beer. One bomber is enough.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

A- poured copperish bronze color with 1 inch head.
S- Probably the best smelling beer on the face of the planet. Not overly complex, but smells of sweet sweet pineapples. Shockingly, I can barely smell the hops because it just smells like fruit
T- This is where the hops come into play. Very citrusy, fruity hop profile with good balancing malt backbone. Juicy and delicious.
M- Carbonation isn't very high, but leaves a nice lacing on glass. somewhat syrupy.
D- I couldn't believe this beer is 9.2% ABV. sorry bud light, but this beer is the king of drinkability.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Dark neon orange, slightly cloudy/unfiltered, with a thin tan head and good lacing

S - Very hoppy nose upfront with mainly citrusy hops and a very very slight grain sweetness in the background.

T - First tastes of sweet fruit, slightly buttery/biscuit flavored hops. It finishes with dry Earth tones.

M/D - It has a medium body and slight syrupy texture. Lots of carbonation and a very dry finish due to all the hops. Overall a very easily drinkable beer, in moderation of course.

A wonderful DIPA with great flavors...would love to get my hands on some super fresh hopsickle to see if there is a difference in taste!

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Egyptian golden pour almost orange. Fathead on this guy, soft and laces up my goblet

Smell: great: Pine, hoppy citrus notes take over

Taste/MF: just like it tastes if ya ask me, lots of piny citrusy notes in there holding it down. That's all im getting

Drinkability: definitely can drink this easily. With the alcohol hidden well, that is

This guy is not bad. Skeptical cuz of the label but finally grabbed one: had the ABV im looking for haha

4.67/5  rDev +13.9%

I received this as part of a trade full of other IPAs and wasn't sure what to make of it initially. The label looks a little Malaysian with that large M. Sort of like something you'd pick up in Bangkok and try to smuggle back to North America hoping the customs officer wouldn't find it along with your tiger claw and opium pipe. But labels are deceiving and this is a first class west coast IPA all the way.

It pours a very attractive cloudy orange bronze. The off-white settles from two fingers to a small ring but leaves ample lacing down the side of the glass.

The smell is gorgeous. Soft caramel, oranges and piney hops await. I'm not sure I have smelled a better beer. The reviewer below, while a little more enthusiastic than me, is a man after my own heart and has it right.

The taste is big and bold.. caramel sweetness, lots of fruit and serious hoppiness lie within. It's strong - but you would never guess it's 9.2%. Really well done.

Mouthfeel is good but a tad on the sticky side. We are splitting hairs at this point though because drinkability is through the roof for this style. It is dangerously good. If someone kept serving you these you would keep drinking them and then you'd probably find yourself on top of a table stripping. They are that good.

4.84/5  rDev +18%

This is a top five beer of all time. I just picked one of these beauties up and totally forgot how much this actually 'tickles my fancy.'

The appearance is the worst thing about this brew. It is a light copper color, but with this head that accompanies it, damn well is some sticky icky. It pours with a finger and a half head, but the head is so thick and sticky that it leaves disgusting lace around the glass. Alright!

The smell is absolutely outstanding. There is nothing else that you smell other than sweet sweet hops. I am going to be honest. I would shower in this brew. I would put this in my wife's breastmilk to feed my children. I think we should ship this overseas to end war and start world peace.

The taste is ground breaking. Hops. That is not it, but it is the most overwhelming characteristic in this one. Showers of hops all around just cannot deny that this is one of my all time favorite. I think that I could drink it any day of the year. I could have it cold or warm, day or night. The trio of hops put into this thing just boggles my mind.

It is drinkable and presents a great mouthfeel. In the end, "I just want to put my dick in it!"

Great brew from a great brewery.
J

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

I picked this up while on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC. To be honest, I've seen this around where I live but just passed over it. However, I decided to go for something big to enjoy.
The aroma is big on orange and grapefruit juice. Slight hint of sweet malt character, I can't really pin point that little bit but that's what I am getting.
The head is big, a full three fingers. The color is a copper with a slight chill haze going on. As the beer settles I notice a lot of lace happening from the head as well.
So what does it taste like? First thing I notice is the sweetness. However, that is immediately replaced with a bitter hoppy character that you would expect from this beer. My second taste I also notice some the liquor bite sitting back there in the after taste. It does leave the mouth feeling dry.
Over all, this is a nice sipper. You definitely won't chug this one down. The bitterness really let you know it's there for you to enjoy. I was expecting a little more in the aroma. Definitely give it a try just make sure to have others around to enjoy it with you.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Had this out of a 25oz bottle

A- I have no idea why people even put this in the rating, I don't look at a beer for long enough to determine if it's good looking or not. It doesn't have tits so I'll just go ahead and drink it instead of looking at it.

S- Very floral, that is about the only thing I can detect.

T- Great, much better hop presence than most IIPAs, not uber-bitter for the sake of being bitter, more of a floral hoppiness with a hardly perceptible high abv.

M-Very light, watery almost, with a bit of fuzz at the end.

D- I could drink it all night.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Review #450

22 oz bomber I finally saw at Hop City when I went on my stealth beer run this morning. I have heard a lot about this beer, good and bad, so I figured I would give it a go. Served up in my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

A: Very nice on the pour. Got a nice dark orange color on the body, almost a nice amber in color. A little dark for a the style but I always dig that. Even if the color is slightly darker than normal, the body still remains very clear. Pristine actually. A steady amount of carbonation activity that gets lazier as the beer sits. The pour got me a big and very fluffy two fingers of head. The head is very white and creamy. Just pillowy an had a nice texture to it. The head is sticky and throws up some nice lace on the glass. This is what I want when I pick up a beer in this style. I guess the beer could have been hazy and that would have raised the score to a 5, but it is still awesome.

S: Smell is in one word: amazing. This beer is big hops and its not scared of being so. The cool part is that all the hops aromas meld wonderfully to make a cohesive aroma. First hops presence that comes out is a bitter but still sweet citrus presence. You get that puckering grapefruit type presence but it has a nice undercut of orange to chill that out. Then there is a nice pine resin coming across. Finally, I get some vibrant floral hops. Its got that bite but it still stays sweet and appetizing. Even with all this big time hops that are just so powerful, there is a damned good caramel malt presence rounding out the backend here. Damn this smell fantastic.

T: Well . . . this is in fact a triple IPA. Fuggin hell the hops are powerful. I only wish the flavors were as well rounded as the aroma is. It is a bit disappointing, but I imagine that Moylan's wasn't looking for subtlety when they brew this beer. Really intense and puckering grapefruit comes out right off the bat and gets all up in your face. Sadly, the orange doesn't come in to cut it down a bit. Then the pine resin that is insanely bitter. It just reall locks up the mouth at times. And sadly the floral hops don't come out as much as they did in the nose. That may have balanced what is going on in here. Sadly at times the flavors come together in an almost bile type flavor, but that only happens a couple of times. The caramel malt is slightly noticable in the very back but it doesn't really tone anything happen. It just pops up a bit in the burps.

M: Medium bodied brew here that has a pretty sticky icky quality. Very coating on the mouth for sure. The carbonation is a bit lighter than I expected, and this beer becomes creamier due to that. This beer is incredibly bitter and becomes incredibly dry. I mean really dry and almost astringent. ABV has a little bit of heat coming across on the throat. Aftertaste is all hops and sometimes that bile flavor.

D: Well it has its high points but the flavor is just a bit much to me. Its just too in your face and over the top in my opinion. With that said, the smell is amazing and the look is spot on. Still this beer is a bit to crazy for me and I don't see this being very drinkable, definitely below average in the area. Still it was a fun experience and this is in fact an extreme beer, its just too much for me. I only wish it tasted like it smells.

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A. Deep copper color, clear. Not much in the way of head or lacing.

S. Lovely citrus aromas blending tangarine, orange peel, and pineapple. Also, the hop showcase consists of pine and a sticky, resinious aroma.

T. Hops are (obviously) in the forefront. Sticky, oily, resinious pine melds well with a medium caramel malt backbone. Bitterness is moderately high to high, but needs to be as it keeps up with the relatively high caramel malt percentage used in this brew.

M. Sticky and medium bodied. Carbonation is right on.

D. If less caramel malt was used, it might add to the drinkability. Its kind of sweet for me to want to drink more than one. But, for lunch and a one-and-out beer, it was perfect!

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Dark Ruby/Tawny red classic appearance: great head retention

Smell: Hops, Malt, Grapefruit, citrus, hops, maple syrup, cream

Taste: Hops, tons of hops, tons of freakin' hops! Citrus, Grapefruit, apricot

Mouthfeel: burns of hops bitterness

Drinkability: very drinkability - quenches even the greatest hop thirst!

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a bomber. No freshness dates or anything on it. Please oh please brewers start putting dates on your beers, especially IPA/DIPA's!

A = Dark orange and hazy pour. Thick 2 finger head and lacing scattered down the glass. Looking at this beer will tell you that it's serious and you're in for it.

S = Pine and floral hops dominate. A bit funky and metallic in the background.

T = Huge hop assault. Mostly pine and floral, although it seems to have a grapefruit tinge that appears. Quite bitter through the finish and aftertaste. I'm catching a big buttery malt presence on the front end that I'm not quite liking. Some noticeable alcohol heat especially as it warms. I appreciate a balanced hop/malt bomb, but this one seems a bit out of whack.

M = Huge oily resinous mouthfeel. Bitter on the tongue through the finish. Lite carbonation.

D = Just can't call this drinkable. It is interesting and certainly a robust brew, but the taste profile isn't good enough to overcome the high ABV and intense mouthfeel.

Overall, a decent to solid DIPA, but for the price I'm probably going to pass this one up given better choices.

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%

Paid $9.49 for a bomber from BevMo in San Jose, CA. Poured into a snifter.

Very thick on the pour. Tight-knit, dense white head of about an inch. Cloudy to the point of being opaque. Dark burnt orange in color. Excellent head retention. Very thick, lasting lace. A very attractive beer.

Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel. Hop madness yet I'd put this in the more balanced DIPA category. Somewhat reminiscent in nose to the 120 minute as this one is quite boozy.

The alcohol needs to be better contained in the taste as well. Grapefruit citrus overload with a strong malty backing. Very full flavored, yet my pleasure sensors are not really firing rapidly as I drink this one. Even has a bit of an unfiltered, raw taste that I find common to a lot of B-level brewpub ales.

The mouth is thick and creamy. Long lasting finish of grapefruit and malty rawness. Full body.

A weak attempt at making an extreme beer. I always seem to be somewhat disappointed by Moylan's. On top of this, they jacked up their prices substantially. I picked up a bomber in May of 2008 for $4.99. I thought it was a pretty good beer at the time for that price. $9.49 for a bomber now? Not worth it.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle poured into my Sam Adams glass produced a two finger white head that lasted a while then turned to a thin lace. The body of the brew was a clear golden straw colored yellow.

The aromas of hops are dominant with a light sweetness to it as well. This brew is more floral more than citrus so it is interesting. The flavor is bitter, the hops bitter comes at you first then the finish is like a oily pine resin. Yes this is a west coast hop bomb that will destroy your taste buds for the night. There was a medium feel in my mouth with light carbonation for your tongue.
The bomber did it for me I finished it but to do another would be a stretch. If I wanted to drink a hop bomb and this was around I would grab it again

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a pint glass. Color is a nice amber with lacing that sticks tightly to the glass with a new prominent ring forming from every sip. Smell is like standing under the canopy of a pine tree forest, sticky pine needles and sap oozing out of the trunks of the trees. Taste is very piny and bitter, balanced by crisp malts. Mouthfeel is creamy and good, drinkability is great.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A: A dark orange-amber color with a large, sticky, persistent head. Tons of lacing and decent head retention. Well done.

S: Loads of citrus hops: orange and grapefruit in particular. Really, really strong and pungent hop aromas here, including some floral notes. A slight backdrop of caramel sweetens things up well and gives support to the hoppy aromas.

T&M: Big time hop flavor here. Definitely challenging to the palate. There's tons of grapefruit, pine, floral, pineapple hop flavors here. A toffee/caramel malt backbone gives some support, but it's still pretty brashly hoppy. The finish is intensely drying and mouth-puckeringly hoppy. A palate destroyer, for sure. The body is medium/full with an incredibly resinous, sticky feel. Flavor sticks around for quite a while.

D: Well, it's so hoppy that it's tough to drink a lot. I'm glad I had some help with this bomber, otherwise it would've taken a good hour or more to get through. All in all, a good and challenging beer that still maintains a great flavor.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

A: Clear amber color with a nice glowing glare. Cream-colored head, rather small but it leaves plenty of lacings.

S: The smell is dominated by hops. Plenty of grapefruit, some mango. Notes of mint and pine-needles. Sweet caramel and fudge. A good smell, but the hops are not as clear-cut as I would have liked them to be.

T: Well what do you know, the taste is also dominated by hops. An obvious emphasis on grapfruit up front. More exotic fruit (pineapple, kwi) with a subtle tart-like character. Plenty of sweetness with a slightly too prominent flavor of caramel taking the lead. Some fudge and low-quality bread. The finish really bitter, but the bitterness enters with a good timing and seems to fit great with the aromas. Plenty of malts in the finish actually, but even more so pine-needles, hop resins and faint spices. Some alcohol. The finish gets slightly perfumy.

M: Medium body, decent amount of stickiness in the mouthfeel.

D: This is a good beer, but perhaps not as good as I had hoped for. The hops could have been more precise in their character and the sweet taste of caramel could have been a little more restrained. (It should be noted that I don't know how fresh this bottle was, perhaps it had some months on it.) But still, a very good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle Pours a cloudy copper with an off white head. The head lasts well. The lacing is excellent. Has a good hoppy aroma of citrus. A good carbonation. The flavor is excellent. Very hoppy. I love the in your face bitterness of this beer. Has a medium body. The mouthfeel is awesome. Has a strong finish, with an incredable aftertaste. This is a wonderful beer. Jus tplain love it.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this for third time (on tap today @ The Porter) and it was the best of the 3 experiences.
Appearance was a lighter brown/amber color with a dense head - a little hard to judge in a smaller tulip glass.
The aroma was spectacular. There was food and smoke and plenty of competing smells nearby, but the overpowering floral scent of this really stood out.
Power hops here. Heaps of bitter hoppiness with plenty of citrus and pine and some spicyness.
The feel was good but not great and the bitterness took a little away from the drinkablility, but I can't think of too many DIPA's better than this one.
All in all, most excellent.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery