Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale | Moylan's Brewery

Added by LongBeachHopHead on 08-11-2005

4.1

Ratings: 1,656 |  Reviews: 942
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Excellent double (triple?) IPA. Even after a Pliny the Elder this shocked my palate. If you like hop bombs, you'll love this. I think this is an awesome beer. My only criticism is that is could be more aromatic. But that's like complaining about Cindy Crawford's mole (even if you could find better, you wouldn't deserve it anyway).

I gave it a 4.5 for drinkability because I barely tasted the alcohol at 9.2%, which is impressive. In other words, great drinkability for a 9%+ beer, not for a light American pale lager.

Bottom line: If you like double-IPA's, buy this! It is likely in the 2- or 300's in IBUs but very drinkable if you are used to DIPAs. If not, go drink a pale ale.

This is the best use of Chinook hops I have yet seen, and I include Arrogant Bastard and SN Celebration in that.

As a side note, why do people review beers styles they don't like? This is supposed to be a bomb. So this is a nuke. It says triple hopped on the cover, but people mark it down for being bitter? That's like marking down a pogo stick for being springy. Hello? This is why I will not review porters or stouts - I simply don't like roasty flavors. I have tasted IPAs with much less IBUs that were less drinkable. You gotta respect the style, man!

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Talk about a bruiser. Hopsickle pours a golden-amber, with a thick white head that settles slowly. Carbonation is mild, yet still present. Aroma is all hops. Bitter, yet citrusy, with hints of pine and grass. For how hoppy this beer is, it is very balanced. Citrusy and piney at first, with a finish that has hints of caramel and buterbrickle. The mouthfeel is almost too much for this brew. Very full bodied and viscous, the bitterness leads to over-salivation. It's definitely the hop-lover's dream. Strong, intense, and bloody good. It may be expensive, but it's definitely worth trying.

4.02/5  rDev -2%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy lemon-orange color with a thin but loosely-bubbled white head. A healthy amount of lacing coating the glass.

Aroma of citrus hops, tropical fruit, pineapple and a bit of malts.

A big bite of hoppy bitterness with every sip. Tightening the pores on this old face. Much like the aroma, there was grapefruit, lemon, and caramel malts. The bitterness lingers through to the finish.

Medium bodied, crisp, and moderately carbonated.

A bitter hop beast for sure and a DIPA that I (and my palate) won't soon forget. One is enough.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked this up on a recent trip to Phoenix, and shipped it home to myself.

Citrus and pine hops hit me as soon as I start pouring. Medium amber in color, topped by a generous off white head, large and lasting.

Bold assertive bittering, much like what I picked up in the aroma, with some herbal and floral hopping as well. The hops are really strong here, possibly the hoppiest I've had. Unbalanced, as far as it could have had a bit more malt for my tastes, but for the style, nothing wrong with it. No alcohol detected.

Long finish, and lingering bitter aftertaste. A little thin on the mouthfeel.

Aside from the slight complaint of thinness, this is a very good IIPA. Bitter, Bitter, Bitter describes it perfectly.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

As other reviews have alluded to, this one is medium amber and opaque. Good foaming action, excellent texture and goes down very smooth. The smell is mostly sweet and mildly fruity; doesn't give away much of it's actual flavor profile.

Wow, this is one bitterly hoppy beer, but it actually has a very pleasant flavor to it nonetheless, with some nice malt sweetness to it and other smooth textures that actually (sort of) try to balance it all out. The flavor actually reminds me somewhat of FFF Dreadnaught ... only with a greater preponderance of bitter hops and a little less of the pine tree aromatics. The bitterness reminds me a little of Hop Ottin' but this is a much more dimensional flavor.

With a little age, I would imagine this might actually taste like a smooth, mildly balanced and pleasantly flavorful beer for those who aren't in to bitter hop explosions. I happen to be that guy who's way in to the bitter hops, so this beer is near perfect in my book.

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

Bomber served in a snifter.

A-Slightly hazed, glowing amber beer. Small orange-white head retained only slightly.

S-Immense grapefruit, very bright and powerful, with piney hops under it, which are able to emerge as the citrus subsides. Something of a semi-sweet malt underneath.

T-This is an intensely-flavored beer, to be sure. Yes, the intensity is grounded in its hoppiness. Big grapefruit-citrus hops with hints of dank resiny flavors butt heads with an imposing bitterness. Under all the intense hoppiness, some malt character (bready, nutty) tries to emerge. Finishes with a huge bitterness and a lingering resin flavor.

M-Moderate-full body, like liquid sandstone moving within my mouth. Carbonation is medium-low, effervesces enough to keep my tongue interested.

D-i think this is a fine brew, but it's really just a huge hop bomb. i enjoyed it, but really, it seems a bit one-dimensional in its immense hoppiness.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a hazy amber/copper color with a one inch creamy off white head. Good retention and some spotty lace.

Aroma is good. A nice hop profile with notes of citrus and pine. A bit of booze accompanies the duo.

The taste is ok, but not as impressive as I had hoped. There is certainly a good hop presence with some sappy pine and a touch of citrus. A dominant bitterness lingers on the finish and is a definite palate killer.

Mouthfeel is very soft, medium bodied, with light and dull carbonation. Kind of boring in this area.

Drinkability is moderate. The flavor profile was ok, though I've had better DIPA's. The mouthfeel was a bit of a put off, and really hurt the experience, it didn't exactly keep me coming back. All in all a decent beer, but nothing terribly special.

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

Thanks to BrewerB and this amazing trade I have found my new favorite Imperial IPA. The bottle says triple IPA but I think this is a joke that speaks to the amount of hops put into it.

This was poured in a Duvel glass. Temp is right at 48 degrees upon pouring. The clarity and fluffy head(starch white) are the first things to strike me.

The aroma is not as pronounced hop as I thought it would be. It is actually less hoppy in aroma than the regular Moylan's Imperial IPA. I think the Hopsickle has more malt backbone to help support the massive hop attack.

The first taste was a huge surprise. The very first taste is malt then hops then more hops then more hops. If you have ever eaten a habenero chile pepper then you know what I mean by the flavors increase over time. Like a chile pepper the hop flavor gets more powerful as time goes by. The hops actually numb your tongue then the malt brings it back to life then the hops attach it again. Beautiful!!! The way the hops and malt play against or is it with each other is amazing. They are doing some special things in California.

The mouthfeel is very good. The 9.2% Abv make this a very full beer with plenty of body.

I think this is about as drinkable as an Imperial anything gets (let alone IPA's). I woudln't guzzle any beer but I definately wouldn't down this one too fast. I just mean I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and be happy.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

From Notes: 11/17/08
Moylan's Brewing Co. Hopsickle Triple IPA, Double IPA?
22 oz. Bottle, 9.2% abv.

Appearance= Vigorous pour yields a small 1/4" head. Dark side of Hops!... Color I mean. Typical deep color, opaque looking. Deadly.

Smell=HOPS!!! Very strong on the nose. moist resiny goodness.

Taste=Hops! grass, pine and a lil' citrus. Fabulous. If you like mowing the lawn with your mouth, this is your beer.

Mouth feel=On the thicker side. Full Mouth feel.

Drinkability= Really drinkable. OK, I'm lying. I've had this beer so many times, it's easier to drink every time. I will say this: as easy as it is to drink (the flavor is awesome) the bottle goes down slower as it progresses. This beer, more than any, you feel the 9.2% after you're done. You could have told me it was 10, 11, 12% and I would have believed you. Top 5 beers for me. I will serve this at my funeral.

4.29/5  rDev +4.6%

Reviewed 2/6/09

Poured from a 22ox bomber into a 16oz pint glass. Firm pour conjures a 1 inch off white head. Spotty lace. Color is a deep orange amber.

Nose- Wow the nose on this is exceptional. Intense orange and grapefruit. Lemon zest. Some sweetness comes through in the nose.

Palate- Wonderful bitter punch in the mouth. Tangy mouth puckering, grapefruit rind. Some orange, and lemon zest. Very bitter. A touch of sweetness. Lovely. Some pepper, muted caramel notes. Some hot alcohol. Some caramel malt tries to come through, but is fairly unsuccessful.

Mouthfeel- Oily, tangy, mouth puckering, dry.

Drinkability- A bit strong, but a true tribute to the hop.

Well done

2.36/5  rDev -42.4%

Bomber poured into snifter

A; amber color, slightly cloudy. Decent half inch head with decent retention

S: sweet carmel and pine/ cirtus hop

T; surprisingly sweet front until the hops hit like a sledge hammer. Alochol is noticable

M&d: slightly butter mouthfeel, hoppy flavors are alomst undrinkalbe to my palate. I have sampled a good deal of Imperial IPAs lately, and I find thid one the least drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Found a fresh batch of this stuff in my local store. At 9$, it's pricey, but after having it on tap at Capone's I had to have it again

A: Pours a crystal clear amber with a solid off-white head that lasts, leaving lace in it's wake

S: Hop bomb. Intense mix of citrus and pine hops with some zesty bitterness. Malt is subdued but hot damn, this is one hop bomb.

T/M: Intense hop flavor and bitterness up front with a ton of pine, plenty of citrus flavors before a palate-crushing (in a good way) bitterness comes through with mostly pine flavor. Bitterness is clean, no astringency is detected. The body is fairly light with the malt flavor overwhelmed by the hops. Drying and mildly resiny on the finish with a massive bitterness. Carbonation is moderate and in the course of drinking a bottle, tapers off (still fine, though). In addition, as it warms up, the alcohol is noticeable.

D: The massive bitterness does hurt the drinkability just a lil bit but otherwise, this is one enjoyable DIPA. My recommendation? Drink it on tap, where the alcohol is not as prominent and the carbonation, perfect.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

I've been increasingly drawn to hoppy, high ABV beers. And, as a rule, the more flavorful, extreme beers have been where my taste buds have settled.

Trying some Hopsickle was inevitable.

Finally found some. 10.99 for a bomber. pricey.

pours cloudy bright orange. typical. not much head.

smell is carmel, butter, flowery, with grapefruit/pine in the background.

taste is ....ok. So bitter. buttery/flowery more than I like. citrus/pine there, but not enough. Malt seems minimal.

mouthfeel is decent. full and rich. but that bitterness takes over at the end and doesn't stop. Had to take another sip or get some water, that aftertaste was so uncomfortable. Ink? Graphite? Paper? (yes, like eating paper) Seriously, monumentally, crazily, bitter. Too much for me. And I like bitter (or so I thought).

Great beer for me to try, now searching out the hoppiest or highest IBU or most extreme beer has lost the allure it once had.

thank you hopsickle. I will now be completely satified with my other IPA favorites.

update: had a few times since. Not as overwhelmingly bitter, but still off center. This beer is better in theory than in practice.

3.54/5  rDev -13.7%

My bottle design is different, but its clearly the same beer. Purchased at a lackluster BevMo in Sacramento. Pours nicely, amber and rich with a nice cascading head formation and good retention. A pretty beer, for sure. Smells piney, malty. surprisingly subdued aroma. Taste: a bitter bomb, no doubt. Smacks you in the tongue with pine sap bitterness. Some grapefruit and syrupy, sweet malt in there too. Bitterness dominates though, like eating a grapefruit after brushing my teeth. A little overwhelming. Syrupy, full mouthfeel. Definitely "extreme," but its hard to say if i like it as a beer to sit down and drink.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Fun just off-white head, thick and buoyant with credible heavy lacing as well. Warm pumpkin orange color that drops into a yellow hue around the rims, perfectly opaque and cloudy. The nose is very confident and throws things at you in defiance, pink grapefruit rind, tar, black tea leaves, cigar wrapper, brown stony earth as well as edgy hop bitterness, don't even look for malt counterbalance. Full-bodied, floods the mouth like water after a fire alarm went off, cascades this way and that. Here you do get a certain caramel, honey sweetness upfront which then gets flattened by barley, wheat, meadow grass, tarry earth and cigar leaf. Very oily texture slick like you need to lay salt down on the tongue, stays balanced given its excessiveness. The pink to white grapefruit and lemon citrus sour but sweetens at times too. Nicely floral if you can stay calm enough to register. Carbonation is low and more or less not needed structurally. Really a hops steamroller, retains some nuance given this.

I loved this beer. It poured a light brown/orange color with a small amount of carbonation and a nice light tan foam. The smell had a nice hoppy, sweet character to it with hints of peach and apricot. It tastes like hops, but is well balanced so they do not dominate. It also is bitter and dry. I certainly would say this beer has great drinkability - it smells sweeter than it tastes and it tastes hoppier than it smells. I love the very dry mouthfeel to the beer and equate it to a very dry red wine.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Clear dark orange with red tints. About an inch of off white head which disspates to a thin film. Lacing is thick and coats the sides of the tulip.

S- Fruity and earthy hops, and lots of them. A tad bit of a malty presence in the scent, although not much.

T- Very fresh! Hop explosion upon taking a sip. Lots of fruity/citrusy hops and followed by piney and earthy hops. A bit of a caramel coating with this thick and chewy beer. Alcohol is well masked. Nice bitterness in this beer.

M- Thick and chewy. Nice lingering aftertaste after swallowing. Coats the mouth well with sticky bitterness.

D- Easy to drink, not sessionable. Will enjoy one of these tonight and it will be my only beer of the night. Thanks for the opportunity to trade for this one torchednoodle! I'd love to get it again.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

A- pours a really nice amber with a small white head and lacing that lingered as the beer dissapeared
S- Hops, fresh hops, hops again, a little bit of grapefruit
T- very refreshing, good carbonation, alot of hops, a touch of malt, approaching the "boozy" tastes I often dont dig in high abv beers but ins on the side of the fence that works for me
M- The beer is fresh, I drank it far far from the brewery , very cold pour but the taste mellowed out a little as the glass got warmer
D- very refreshing and easy to drink , the high abv is not hidden well, but if you wanna drink a tasty beer and get plowed.... this is a good vessel

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Cloudy cider orange body with two fingers of off-white head atop in the shape of a double-scoop ice cream cone; dense rings of decorative lace make this the visual equal of Moylan's IPA--tremendous. As is the smell. Loaded with hops as the name attests, the fruit aromas are amazing--orange, grapefruit, pineapple, melon. I'm dumbstruck by both its strength and complexity. Hopsickle assails the nose, pure and simple.

The flavor is not quite what I expected, but not in a bad way at all. The hops are first and foremost, without question. Yet Hopsickle is full of malt as well, lots of caramel with the aforementioned fruit. This makes Hopsickle somewhat like a really good barleywine in taste as well as texture--chewy and oily hopped, but also with malt heft. If the malt didn't imbricate the hop flavor a bit, the taste would get five stars. As it is, this still superb.

Yet the mouthfeel of Hopsickle achieves full marks. Malt is a nice accompaniment for adding some smooth texture, but from beginning to end, hops dominate the mouthfeel. I took the dog out for a few minutes, and could literally still feel the hops on my tongue from the previous mouth full. Gritty, chewy, resiny, burly--this is a big, hopped-up DIPA, make no mistake. The mouthfeel confirms that this DIPA veers closely toward barleywine in taste and mouthfeel. I love its complexity.

Hop lovers will delight in Hopsickle, a huge, brawny beer with a great name to back up its hefty hop content. My taste buds have just filed a class action lawsuit against Moylan's for the assault and battery Hopsickle just performed on them. Incredible stuff, a giant of a DIPA but more complex than I expected. I'll be dreaming of hops tonight after this.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Enjoyed from a 22oz bottle in a pint glass.

A: Hazy amber with a small off-white head, settling to a thick cap.

S: Loads of hops, mainly grapefruit aroma.

T: Like getting a mouthful of hops, again primarily grapefruit. Very bitter to start, somewhat sweet going down, and bitter again in the finish. The definition of a hop bomb!

MF: Medium bodied, off-dry.

D: So bitter it can be hard to drink.

I'm glad I snagged this at $4.99 since I hear the price has gone through the roof. An excellent beer, but not likely to be at the top of my list at double the price.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz. poured into generic pint glass

Appearance: Relatively clear dark orange/gold with quarter inch white head and nice lacing.

Smell: Hop forward as promised but more on the aromatic side than the grassy or earthy. The hop smell comes off as almost a sweet floral perfume but you can still tell there is some malt to this brew.

Taste: Woo. Hopsickle is quite the apt title for this one. Imagine if there could be an actual hop flavored popsicle and then you melted it and bottled it, that's this. Besides the fact that is very hoppy it's also syrupy so it clings to every part of your mouth and makes sure you taste it. First off I get a very resinous citrus hop flavor accompanied by a slight grassiness and spice. Finally it finishes with a long bitter kick but not without some slight brown sugar sweetness. What a ride.

Mouthfeel: Some may not prefer the stickiness of this brew but I think it's great, expect each sip to have massive amounts of flavor.

Drinkability: I'll definitely be picking another couple bottles of this up but as far as having multiple in a row, I don't know.

Overall: If you have the choice between this and Moylan's other DIPA I would definitely pick Hopsickle, although both are good. I enjoy Moylan's but this is probably my favorite of their offerings. Still haven't had the imperial stout though...

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a tap at Capones into a standard pint glass.

A: A dark amber orange color with a minimal thick off white head. Nice full glass lacing.

S: Hops, massive amounts of hops. Pine and earth hops with a very mild sweetness.

T: Make no mistake about it, this is the hoppiest beer I ever had, even hoppier from tap. Flavors of pine, dirt and earth with a hint of some citrus. A deep malt sweetness holds the beer together but just can't stand up next to the massive amount of hops. The finish is super bitter and biting that just makes your mouth pucker.

M: Full with oily resins that just stick around forever. A hint of the alcohol can be detected at the finish.

D: Medium to low. One is enough as these things really beat your taste buds up.

Overall as I said, absolutley the hoppiest beer I have ever had, and believe me I've had some really hoppy beers. This beer is one you will never forget, nor should you. Still, what a hell of a beer and a hell of a drink.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Recieved this also from CPFerris, just because of his generosity.

Poured into my Michelob Celebrate goblet.

Pours a cloudy amber. Nice lacing stuck to the side of the glass, little head.

Smell of earthy hops. And more hops. Something else there,,,,ohh yeah HOPS. Pick up some tobacco, smells like the beer equivalent of a nice maduro cigar. Strong and pungent. Yet beautiful and aromatic.

Bitterness right off the front. Wet and sticky. Very sharp and rough around the edges, with some smootheness in the middle. Tastes almost buttery. Not a whole lot of body, yet not too thin. Pretty well balanced for an Triple IPA. Definetely tastes of some malts there, which is rare for an IPA of this magnitude.

This would be hard to drink more than one of these, if only due to the 9.2% ABV. An incredible IIPA. Ive had three of the Moylans IPA's and they are all fantastic.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Served chilled in my british pint.

A: Pours a hazy light amber, with a creamy 2-finger off white head. Decent retention, recedes to a nice film over the beer in about 5 minutes. Great lacing.

S: Hops, hops, and more hops! A nice blend of floral, bitter grapefruit, and piney hops. Some spiciness in there as well. Sweet malts find their way in the back.

T: Dayum, talk about bitter! An absolute explosion of hops. All of the aforementioned blend of hops, with maybe a hint of rye in the back? The malts creep in in the back, but the bitterness dominates from start to finish. Finishes a little on the dry side.

M: Slightly thick, which I like for something this bitter. Carbonation is right on. The resin-y, hoppy goodness coats the mouth, punishing the taste buds!

D: This is on the unbalanced side, but with a name like Hopsickle, what else do you expect? I could only handle one in a sitting for sure, as my taste buds would need a breather. This isn't something I'd drink all the time, but when I'm in the mood for something extra-bitter, this one would fit the bill.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Decided to give this one a try. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy orange with tints of brown mixed in. Solid one inch of white head that leaves great lacing as the beer is consumed.

S- Seemed a little one dimensional to me. Got a nice whiff of piney hops and thats about all.

T- Two things I noticed with this one. The first being, is let this warm up a bit, it allows other citrus flavors to come out. Second, if this didn't have a little bit of age on it, it may have been too much hops. The first few sips I had just completely destroyed every taste bud I had. However, after the beer warmed, malt and citrus sweetness came out due to the little age it had on it. Even then, I can see how this beer wants to push the limits.

M- Medium bodied, with a nice sticky sweetness.

D- Went down pretty smooth after the beer warmed. The abv can't really be noticed until the bottle is gone.

Overall, a nice triple IPA that was almost too much, even with some age on it. I can only imagine how this is fresh (too much). I can appreciate the concept behind pushing the limits to offer new tastes, but when is too much? Still a must try.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery