Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale | Moylan's Brewery

4.1

Ratings: 1,656 |  Reviews: 942
4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle, thanks to MiguelMandingo

Pours a light amber, cloudy orange color with a fine bubbly head that leaves decent lace.

Smells like a hop blast. Grapefruity citrus and woodsy pine dominate, with hints of pineapple and tinge of aspirin.

Some light caramel and bready sweetness up front, then Hopsickle takes off- citrusy, but mostly a woodsy and earthy flavor impression. Aggressive bittering finish, almost coming off aspiriny, but the malt background stands up pretty well.

Nice creamy soft mouthfeel in this hop bomb.

Drink it if you need to. I need two.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle from PP bottle shop. Poured into glass mug. Apperance is golden amber orange color with thick white head, very foamy. Smell is hoppy pine resin scent, with grapefruit and pineapple. Taste is very bitter with a herbal hop flavor of pine and citrus rinds with a malt semi sweetness. Mouthfeel is light to medium body with a mellow carbonation feel. Taste and alcohol level makes this beer less than a very drinkable ale.

2.45/5  rDev -40.2%

Excited to try this one after it was recommended by a friend as 'the hoppiest beer he had ever tried.' Picked up this 22 oz bomber from Abe's in Bethlehem for $6.25. Poured into a pint glass.

Clear amber color with some light tan head, moderate and somewhat disappointing retention but left lots of lacing. Smell was a loads of american hops and booze, not as varied and pleasant as i had hoped for, and not enough malt to balance it out.

The taste is even more out of balance. Tons of hops, very bitter, not pleasant or enjoyable. Struggled to finish the whole bottle, but i didn't want to pour it out so i just took my time with it. Not recommended, even for hopheads. This one just doesn't deliver a pleasant experience, too unbalanced. I wish i had picked up a Bear Republic or Hoppin Frog bomber instead.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Golden amber in appearance with lots of sticky lacing. Smells of tropical fruit (mainly pineapple) and malt. Tastes of strong bitter hops and malt. Grapefruit flavors dominate. Mouth feel is medium bodied and slightly sticky. The drinkability is fair, for such an unbalanced hop bomb. The name "Hopsickle" fits this one well. If you are a fan of hops, then this one is a must try!

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

Bought a bottle of this at the downtown Chicago Binny's, and was very excited, as I've read good things about this beer.

Appearance: Nice head, with a nice amber color and nice lacing throughout. This is a good-looking brew.

Smell: HOPS, and nothing else. Citrusly, bitter, devastating hops. I actually sliced some strong cheddar after smelling this beer, because I was afraid of the bitterness to come.

Taste: Ugh. No balance whatsoever. Bitter, tangy hops on the first sip, and this insane bitterness never subsided, even as the beer warmed. Ridiculously unbalanced, and a true chore to drink.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel for this brew was thin and forgettable. Did noting to improve the beer in my eyes.

Drinkabilty: It was not easy to drink for me. I wanted to finish it, but my wife persuaded me to pour the remaining 8 oz in the drain to avoid the calories. I'm a big fan of hops, but I need some balance. This beer has absolutely no concern for balance, and the aspriny hop bitterness is too much for me. I'm hoping this is a bad bottle, but the downtown Binny's is a fairly new store, so I kinda doubt that's the case.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

hazy amber with orange highlights and a creamy, white, persistent head/lacing. powerful, fresh, and complex bouqet consists of pine, citrus, honey, bread dough, and floral notes. nice moderate bready malt sweetness upfront is quickly overtaken by a prominent, lingering hop bitterness. medium to full-bodied and viscous, yet with a nice level of carbonation providing a prickly mouthfeel in the long finish.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours an amber/cranberry red. There is a huge citrus nose and dry floral notes. The palate is pure hops, very dry and floral and very sticky. The beer has some malt sweetness in the beginning buy gets quickly overtaken by the dry citrusy hop and fresh pine flavor. The mouthful is sticky from the heavy hop resinous nature of the beer with a slick texture and syrupy viscosity. The beer finishes with a huge dry floral bitterness from the simcoe hops that coats the tongue leaving a dry flowery residue lacing. The pungent Columbus hops add some complexity and dryness. Overall a hops head delight but its complexity is still just that, just a boatload of hops with an extreme bitterness. A very dry finish and clean hopping gets this beer a very good rating per style with much of the flavor being derived from the hops and not a lot coming from the grain bill. Definitely leaves you puckering after every sip.

4.92/5  rDev +20%

22 oz, thanks Chadd!

A - Poured a deep copper, very carbonized with a white, foamy head. Almost non-existant protein clumps. Head dissipates fast, gorgeous lace on this beer though, wow.

S - Pine, citrus pineapple, almost like a tropical fruit punch. My mouth is watering from the hop explosion I get to taste.

T - Notes of damiana, orange, pineapple, butter, pine needles, and california yellow grapefruit. Just a cluster-**** of balanced, individual hops. Wow!

M - Slightly bitter, but it tingles on the tongue with sweetness. Great flavor, you can still taste it on your lips afterwards.

D - The worst part was that it was sitting in my fridge for so long. How much freekin' self control do you expect me to have? This is one of my all-time favorites and there will be plenty more to drink down the road.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

I picked this up on a recent trip to DC. I am glad I picked this up, it was tasty. This might just be the hoppiest beer I have ever had. Man, it was bitter. I shared the bottle with BeerZack and chadspivey.

Poured part of a bomber bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - It produced a 1 1/2 finger frothy, foamy head that dissipated to a thin, 1/4 finger crown. It is a hazy golden copper orange color - almost amber. It had really good head retention, and it left a bit of lacing behind.

Smell - I could sit and just smell this beer all day. It smells like a giant bouquet of different hops. The hops just about slap you in the face. The Simcoe stands out, big time. I can detect notes of pineapple (which adds a hint of sweetness) and grapefruit, citrus, and pine. It smells very resinous. Smells perfect in my opinion - they could make perfume with this stuff.

Taste - I get extremely light biscuit-like malts for just a moment before the hops beat your face in. It is perhaps the most bitter beer I have ever had. I get lots of bitter grapefruit, citrus and pine. I am not great at picking out hop flavors, but the Simcoe (my favorite hop variety) really stands out. My problem with the flavor is that is it a one trick pony. Yeah, it has a ton of hops (and I LOVE hops), but it isn't the best tasting DIPA I have ever had. It is a giant hop bouquet without much balance - a palate destroyer, for sure.

Mouthfeel - This beer is really astringent, in a mouth-stripping kind of way. It is velvet smooth, and really creamy - which is interesting to me given its mouth-stripping quality. It has a moderate level of carbonation - not too prickly.

Drinkability - I liked this beer, but I feel that it was too one dimensional to be truly great. It smelled phenomenal, but the flavor didn't measure up, IMO. It was insanely hoppy for the sake of being insanely hoppy. I wouldn't drink more that one of these in an evening, especially if I planned on sampling other beers. I would definitely have it again, though.

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz bottle. I've been wanting to try this for a long time, glad to see it in the Chicago area. Pours into my glass a slightly hazy reddish orange that's bright and vibrant. A creamy white head forms on top and lingers. Aromas blast out of the glass with hoppy goodness. Great tropical and citrus aromas with notes of peach and pineapple mesh flawlessly with pine scents and green, herbal hop oils. Caramel, slightly bready malt in the background is noticeable, but the hops own the show here.

First sip brings a caramel, biscuity malt upfront that is fiercely overtaken by a wall of hops. Big citric, grapefruit and pine resin flavors roll across the palate. Tropical fruit flavors mix in as well. Dense oils that bring to mind fresh plump green hop cones. It flows down with a bracing, strong bitterness that lingers on after each sip. This is a big, intense double IPA that doesn't hold back on the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with a punchy carbonation. Goes down smooth and each sip makes me want to come back for more. A bomber is a perfect size for this brew. Overall, this brew is a great value and damn fine bitter, hop bomb. If you love double IPA's I suggest you seek this one out immediately.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

22oz bomber, thanks to Hypnoz123 for this beauty.
I find the naming of this beer an allusion to interesting duality.

"popsickle" - a frozen dessert on a stick
"sickle" - a tool with a curved blade used for harvesting grain
"Hopsickle..."

Nice creamy 2 fingered head on a deep amber beer. A few tiny carbonation bubbles wander slowly to the surface.

Rich juicy hop smell, filled with citrus and bursting with pineapple. Light traces of grains and a sticky sweet lingering scent of cane sugar and grapefruit.

Juicy, with a grainy overtone of bitterness that rides the deeper more complex flavors from start to finish. A light syrupy sweetness fills in with fruit - grapefruit and pineapple. Notable tastes of conifer and pine sap enter into the finish with a heavy, tight, grainy note on the back end as the beer heaves its full bitterness back up onto the tongue. Pure hop strength lingers indefinitely, sheer bitterness with a long decay as it softens.

Mouthfeel is nice, with a sticky smooth consistency and biting bitterness, as taste becomes indistinguishable from feel at the end. Smooth and heavy on the front end, dry and bitter on the finish.

Good for the style, but not highly drinkable. 22oz seems good to enjoy and appreciate its character, but the strength in taste and alcohol deter from wanting more than one. While the beer is impressively balanced in overall taste, it would be nearly impossible to ground the sky-high bitterness of hops with any reasonable amount of malt, leaving it a great fix for that hop addiction I've been nursing, but not a regular go-to beer.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bottle purchased for $5.49 on 1-7-8 at Cedar Hills New Seasons.

As soon as I cracked the crown, the aroma of citrus hops met my nostrils. Pineapple juice and grapefruit dominate. Wet, grassy cannabis mingles with caramel malt. I'm already excited about the treat I'm in for and I've yet to pour.

This beer is orange-amber with a nice-sized off-white head that displays average retention while leaving behind multiple rings of lacing.

The taste is everything the beer claims to be. It may be the most bitter glass of hop juice I've tried. There is a huge sweet citrus aspect that really balances things out along with the ample dose of caramel malt. That piercing bitterness lingers for quite awhile.

The mouthfeel is oily and medium bodied. The carbonation is dialed in well. Not prickly at all, but provides good bite.

Overall, this is an awesome beer that for me, most closely resembles the Ruination.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours orange with a 1 cm off white head, mostly diminishing. Aroma of hops, orange and pine. Initial flavor is balanced with malt and hops neck and neck, but the hops quickly over take all other flavors. The hops are a little piney and little resiny, but its just hop overdrive. There is nearly no lacing, the alcohol is well hidden, and its a lighter, smooth mouthfeel. The aftertaste is intense and lasts between sips, very bitter and dry. Drinkable, when you don't want to take anything the rest of the day. I would consider it again for a single beer day.

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a dark yellow, dirty orange color. Smells of citrus, but doesn't taste as strong as the aroma leads you to believe. Some orange, pineapple, grapefruit, but sort of middle-of-the-road flavor. Very drinkable. More like an IPA instead of the triple-hopped extravaganza the label suggests. Not a bad beer at all, in fact pretty damn good, but not quite exceptional.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to Stan at Lone Hill Liquor for the suggestion. What a place. Paper label.

Appearance is good but I could be blind and still enjoy this beer. In fact with heightened smell and taste, I would enjoy this even more. Or it might just ruin those two senses for good.

Aroma is intense citrus tang with rolling hills of more subtle hops underneath. Malt softness is hidden but present.

Reminiscent of the hop levels of Hop 15, only undeniably more drinkable. Cascades come through in a powerful way, with the tomahawk latching onto my taste buds for the next six hours. Upfront bitterness is dialed back in the front in favor of ballistic hop flavor.

Mouthfeel was good, holding a good amount of carbonation at high ABV.

This beer is an achievement in hoppery! If you don't think beers have enough hops these day, here you go. Knock yourself out and fall into a well of hoppy preservation.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Picked up recently at Olivers in Albany. Hop bomb of delivery of Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Ahtanum, and Chinook Hops. Some malting. This is a feeding of hops. The appearance with a golden colour and white head, the aroma-hops. Just too much bitterness one-dimensional. Have enjoyed more balance in this style.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

Vertical tasting of 2005 and 2007 vintage with ksullnh. Enjoyed both in a pint glass. 2007 has a sticker label, and the 2005 has an enameled one. This is one hoppy beer! Well deserving of the gold for Double IPA at the 2007 GABF.

A: 2005 - cloudy appearance with little head after a light pour (tried to keep sediment in bottle) Amber colored
2007 - Amber color, cloudy appearance - also after a light pour. A very thin ring of lace.

S: 2005 - hops. fresh, floral, with lemon and maybe apples. Cascade hops ? I could smell it from feet away!
2007 - Doesn't smell as hoppy as 2005 at first. Bready is the major first aroma. After the first sip though I can smell a citrus/garlicky hop aroma. Like there was a sheath over the smell the got broken open when I had my first sip.

T: The 2005 did not taste as bitter as the 2007. That being said, the major flavor in both is overwhelming bitterness from the hops. 2005 - has a hint of malt with lasting bitterness on the sides of my tongue.
2007 - My god it is bitter. So much more than the smell indicated! Grapefruit hop flavor is stronger than any other flavor. I hate grapefruit, but I like this, hmmmm.

M: Great for the style!
2005 - Mouth-puckeringly bitter
2007 - Drying, leaves a bitter camp set up on the middle/back of my tongue.

D: 2005 - I definitely want more!
2007 - Only one pint of this one for me. This could be skewed though because I had this one second, and maybe I wouldn't have wanted another pint of the 2005 either after two.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

22 ounce bomber, $5.10 at Plaza Liquors, Tucson, AZ.

Appearance: deep orange to almost light red, light off-white to beige head, limited head, significant lacing.

Aroma: oranges, citrus, pine, apples, fruit, tangy sweet.

Taste: Delicious piney sweet citrus hop bite. What a DIPA should be. Just enough malt to carry the hops, without stealing the show. Again, what a DIPA should be, IMO. Notes of apples and other sweet but mild fruit.

Mouth: Tingly and bright, slightly sharp, probably from warm alcohol notes in addition to the hop bite.

Overall: Delicious! I've loved this beer every time I've had it, over a number of years, and this is no exception. I could drink this every day, all day.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Can I say ass-kicking on BA? Hope so, 'cause this is one ass-kicking, hop happy brew!

Pours golden amber with a finger high, off-white head. The retention on this baby is awesome - even at the bottom of the pour, what a beer-loving friend calls the "piss of the beer, or POB," there's still a lovely layer of lacing.

Smells like citrus - with a big nod to grapefruit - with woodsy, peppery undertones.

The taste is amazing. It's smoothly bitter from start to finish, with an extra spicy bite at the end that almost burns. The hoppy taste has a definite progression from the first swallow to the last.

The mouthfeel is perfect - Hopsickle is nicely carbonated, yet the carbonation doesn't interfere with the overall composition of the beer.

Quite drinkable, though if you're not into heavily hopped beers, beware. This one may be a bit much for your tastes.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Hopsickle pours a light orange color with a nice sudsy two finger head. It has some nice retention and leaves the sea foam on the side of the glass.

The aroma is awesome. Hops are flying in my glass like the the ghosts released from the ark of the covenant on the hillside when Indy had his eyes closed. I got some honey in the nose.

The flavor is of dank hops I am not smart enough to identify the varieties but it leaves some taste of different hops on the tongue and back of the throat. It is like chewing on some hops but in liquid form. The 9.2 was not even in the picture. I will be counting hops when I go to bed instead of sheep.

Being a hop head I thought this was a beauty. Try it if you can.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled at the Odds and Ends Tasting II on 10/19/07: Pours a dark copper color with a medium thick and fluffy off-white head that has good retention. Patchwork lacing on the glass. Strong hops nose that is citrusy and piney. Rich and bitter character with a citrusy hops punch and a solid toasted malt base. Some pine and alcohol are evident in the taste too. The finish is hoppy and leaves a lingering bitter aftertaste. Overall this beer is a great example of a straightforward IIPA that retains enough balance to make it supremely drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Bomber shared with Fisherman34. Amber coloured brew. Great nose of hops and more hops. Taste- bouquet of piney/citrus hops. A west coast classic! Nice mouthfeel- not too thin but not cloying. Smooth stuff for such a killer brew. No booziness apparent, and highly drinkable.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip - 2007 vintage served at cellar temperature

Appearance: This beer pours a clear copper color with lots of orange to it. There are golden highlights as well. The head reaches one inch and is off-white in color. It is thick and foamy and leaves lacing on the glass when swirled.

Smell: The aromas are excellent. Strong grapefruit, with some lemon and orange. Maybe a little pine, but this is a grapefruity hop assault. I can actually smell a sugary malt base. Very floral as well.

Taste: Quite a hoppy ale for sure. This is what you'd imagine DFH 120 to taste like. Syrupy hop oil with a strong grapefruit taste. Wow is the flavor intense. The bitterness lingers, and has a pine needle burn. This is as good as it gets for hopheads. No complaints here.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and sweet, but not cloyingly sweet. The hops are way over the top, which is a good thing. Malt does have a slight presence, and this one is mouth cotaing. The body is thick. Bitterness is way over the top too, but that is the intention here. Alcohol is there, but seems less than 9.2%.

Drinkability: Awesome. This is pure hop nectar at its finest. This is the beer your stop at in your conquest towards an IBU monster. I would love to imbibe tons of this stuff to see if I would stink like hops for a week. I am glad I tried this, and will be purchasing tons of it when I see it next. What a huge hop bomb!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a two-plus finger tan head that has excellent retention, and leaves webs of excellent sticky lacing. Body is an orange amber.

Smell - floral, citrus, and pine hops fill the nose - where is the malt? Very simple and straightforward - the aroma is nothing but PNW hops, and totally mouthwatering.

Taste - bitter pine resin first floods the tongue, then some citrus shows up, and then a faint hint of floral buried under those. No trace of the malt backbone, but that is not a bad thing. Just more deliciously bitter pine resin and citrus.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, very slick from the hop oils, and semi-dry, even fully dry at times, from the hops.

Drinkability - this is very good and delicious - a pure exercise in hops appreciation. The high abv limits the sessionability. It is likely that your taste buds will be blown for the session, but it will have been worth it.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass
A- Pours a translucent orange amber hue, three fingers of tight condensed foam stays solidly creamy with little erosion, big swaths of lacing on the glass
S- Nose is like being plunged into a pine forest, tons of resiny pine hops, touch of grapefruit and citrus, some floral aspects, strong alcohol presence, some cotton candy sweetness and grass
T- Initial taste is dominated by bitter grapefruit and pine resin riding on a wave of stiff warming alcohol, transitions to subtle bread malts and grassy flavors, finishes extremely bitter and dry... any sweetness is wiped out by the bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied, oily and chewy texture, ample carbonation
D- This is a super-bitter DIPA that is bold and in your face, i wish there was a bit more malt or sweetness in the profile, both the alcohol presence and the uber bitterness detract significantly from this beer's drinkability, I am guessing this will be hit-or-miss for most people

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery