Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale | Moylan's Brewery

Added by LongBeachHopHead on 08-11-2005

4.1

Ratings: 1,656 |  Reviews: 942
3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

Wow, quite a beer. I had it in a bomber poured into a lovely stine my brother brought me from Austria. It poured a little on the "heady" side and the head was so bitter it really pursed my lips. Once I got down to the actual beer, it was a difference story. Hoppy of course, but now with all the fruit of say a Ruination. Just a wave of bitterness and a lot of full flavor, almost juicy. But with out the citrus I'm used to from some IPA's. I only wish I knew hop varieties well enough to know what is missing. It was nice, but ....not what I was hoping for. And, well, a bit on the alcoholic side..I'm still buzzing an hour later.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Out of a bomber, it pours a nice copper color with a fairly thick head that sticks to the glass. Not surpisingly, the hop aroma is quite distinctive, with a heavy dose of pine needles and some citrus thrown into the mix. Happily, it's backed up with the nose-warming aroma of a load of malt and enough alcohol smell to be intriguing. After the lofty heights set by the smell, the taste lives up to expections, or at least hopes. The first few sips seem almost over the top, but the hop bitterness starts to mingle with the malts sweetness and everything comes together sooner than expected. The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than expected but not out of whack with the style. Some beers weighing in at this abv are slightly more drinkable, but this one is still dangerously easy to take down. This is another winner from the boys at Moylan's.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearnace: Hazy amber with a thick ivory crown of foam.

Smell and taste: An intensely sharp hop aroma, a bit grainy and citric. Very full and rich. Brief notes of grapefruit and tobacco appear before the incredibly strong hop flavor hits the back of your tongue. Herbal, thick and oily but not at all astringent as some strong IPAs can be. The bitterness lingers on long after you've swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Rich and coating, lively carbonation. Quite thick for a pale beer - I've had Imperial Stouts that were less heavy.

Drinkability: Delicious but extremely potent, 1 bottle is enough to decimate your palate.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pour an amber color, and keep its head for a while

S - The nose is extremely hoppy.

T - As the nose suggest hops, hops, and more hops. Bitter but no too bitter. A very well put together array of flavors

M - Just the right amount of carbonation, Very Full Bodied

D - I loved every drink of this beer, If you love DIPA's this is a must try

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. It should be noted the bottle differs from the picture but its labeled as Hopsickle Imperial Triple Hoppy Ale. Slightly hazy, caramel-orange in color. MMM, great aroma as soon as the bottle is opened. A hoppy blend with citrus notes. A fair dose of hops is definitely on the table here. Goes down well and is remarkably balanced from the first touch to the lingering aftertaste of pure hop nirvana.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Wowzas! This is a hop bomb.

There were huge floaties in the bottom of the bottle, I thought it might have been infected, thankfully it wasnt. The pour reveals a dark copper color with good clarity and a smattering of meandering bubbles. A dense ivory head lasts a good while and coats the glass in lace sheets. The aroma is pungently citric with pine tar and crushed aspirin in tow. Malt is pretty much AWOL in the nose. An initial blast of high alpha bitterness clears my nasal passages on the first sip. Thick, resiny hops resound and mock the diminutive malt profile.

As the beer warms more biscuity notions emerge but this beer is hops first (and almost only). Alcohol is pretty much imperceptable The mouthfeel is thick and coating with wonderful hop oils. Hop bitterness abounds in the finish. Hop burps ensue for at least an hour afterwards.

This is a truly awesome DIPA, hoppy even for a west coast IPA. An amazing elixir.

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

Not a bad offering from Moylan's here. Poured a very hazy golden copper color with yeast and possibly some hop flecks floating around. The appearance was like taking the HopSlam a couple steps further. Smelled lovely, with mostly piney and some grapefruit hop essence all the way. Taste was good but nothing more. Loads of hops and little use of malts for balance. This is purely for the hopheads out there and should come with a warning label. Mouthfeel is crisp, slightly dry, and attacks the palate with a ton of hops. Tingly is a good word. When I'm looking for a confrontation with one of my good friends (hops) I will approach this beer. Though it doesn't stand up to some of my favorites for all around DIPA's, I enjoy this brew. My only complaint would be a slight lack of balance.

Thanks to Talisker for the bottle!

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

(Served in an Imperial pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm crystal clear orangish body with a thick spongy head of white with a hint of yellow in it. The head turns rocky but last for the full glass. A strong carbonation of tiny bubbles keeps this head going.

S- This beer has a fresh pineapple weed aroma with citrus zest notes. As it warms there is a note of fresh orange juice in the background.

T- This beer has a big pungent bitterness from the hops that is very green with some grapefruit notes. After my tongue goes numb from the hops there is a fresh pale malt note in the background. The notes of citrus zest and orange come through in the background and then the resin bitterness hangs on the finish for days.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a creamy texture from the head but no real alcohol heat.

D- This beer has a huge pungent bitterness but not much flavor or complexity to the hops. It is a good hop monster but it would be nice to have more flavors with the bitterness.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one with me. thanks eric!

22oz bottle.

pours a nice deep amber colour with a big dense cream coloured head. the head drops super slow and leaves lots of chunky lace behind. almost looks like merengue on top of the beer.

aroma is great. tons of grapefruit and pine. almost no alcohol, just a tiny hint buried under the hops. bit of biscuit malt. light caramel.

taste is good. lots of grapefruit. resiny pine hops. medium-high bitterness. alcohol is almost completely hidden. big biscuity malt. light caramel.

mouthfeel is good. medium carbonation level with a nice medium body.

drinkability is quite good. the alcohol is balanced very well, and the bittering is not quite over-the-top.

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: hazy dark orange in color sporting a one finger head. Some spotty lacing develops during the session.

Smell: bold bitterness here as pine, grapefruits, and lemon zest leap out of the glass and gives you a fair warning of what the assault on the tongue will be.

Taste: slightly unbalanced beer in my opinion as the bitterness overwhelms the malt profile. Loads of dry pine, grapefruit, green apples, lemon zest are above the malt sweetness. After a while the tongue becomes numb to the hop bite and huge dryness.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Very dry and smooth throughout. Super long bitter and dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: I found this to be somewhat enjoyable during the first 8 oz or so, then hops overload kicked in. I needed some water during this one to help ease the dryness. I like hoppy beers, but this needs a bit more balance IMHO.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Hazy light copper, with some red highlights. Thick, sticky beige head settles slowly leaving nice lace.

Nose is a huge blast of raw hops - peach pit, pine pitch, orange and lemon zest, dried pine needle. One hella hoppy nose. Miraculously, a bit of caramelly, bready malt manages to poke through.

Medium in the mouth. Quite nice balance between the hop flavor and malt. The hops are, not surprisingly, on the citric side, and last throughout the palate. The malt is quite light, but still present until the long, mildly bitter finish kicks in. Malts are refreshingly not overly crystal in nature, with warm bready notes dominating this aspect of the palate. Finish is medium long, and a lick of the lips gives a nice rehash of the hoppy goodness.

Carbonation level is relatively low and fine in nature, which gives a soft, mouth-filling character to the beer. Really well done, and avoids accentuating the substantial bitterness too much. Quite drinkable for what it is. I can certainly finish a bomber, and were it in 12 oz. bottles, might have designs on a third bottle over the course of an evening. Thanks to Marc77 for the fine trade.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S - Bottle received in the recent BiF Race '07 from a generous Rayjay. Thanks man.

A - Pours a pretty deep copper with a creamy head that drops to an unbroken surface on the beer, some nice lacing sticks to the walls of my glass.

S - Grassy, herbal, citrus, fair malty notes, touch of alcohol, also a touch of earth too, nice. bits of grapefruit as well.

T - sweetness up front, then to citrus/grassy notes, almost chocolate in there somewhere, good malt character, warmth in the chest. wow. talk about a pulverized palate after this hop beast.

M - Creamy, for some reason I've been seeing a lot of creamy mouthfeel beers lately, just so damn smooth. I love it.

D - With the bitters just raping the tongue I would say this is either a beer to drink towards the end of the night, or one to drink all night. I'm going to still be tasting this when I wake up.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

A: Pours a murky amber-orange with a solid white head. The head recedes leaving behind a lot of lacing. The second pour resulted in a lot of yeast into the glass.

S: An overwhelming hop aroma of pine and citrus. Not as powerful smells as a Ruination.

T: A bold and powerful hop taste up front followed by grapefruit and oranges. The long lasting aftertaste is that of bitter hops. It's a real assault on the taste buds. It is a "tribute to hops" as the bottle attests.

M: Creamy full-bodied texture with lots of oily hops.

D: A little bit too much hops for me. I like my hoppy beers with a bit more balance although I realize that's not what they're going for here. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think it's something I'll be having too regurlarly. One bomber in a sitting is plenty. Just a ridiculous amount of hops. I drank it while eating some bitter vegetables and it cut right through that.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Tasted on 4/22/07
Appearance: Very cloudy orange with a LOT of floating chunks of what I assume to be the live yeast and hop particles.
Smell: Great hop smell from the Tomohawk and Warrior. Sweet malt and lots of yeast
Taste: Absolutely fantastic. The first time I tried this beer I was overwhelmed by the amount of yeast present, but the second tasting I got all the wonderful hop, malt, and yeast that should be there for a double (triple?) IPA
Mouthfeel was a bit different for me as I am not used to all the floating particles. The "live ale" aspect of the suspended particles threw me off a bit. Almost chunky on the palate.
Drinkability: I wish I had another one in front of me. A great IPA that all hopheads should indulge in at least once in their lives.

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

To me these extremely hoppy beers sometimes go over the top. So many good microbreweries have a beer for the hop-heads but to me this may be a bit too bitter. The bitterness is up there with Hop Wallop which I find a one and done type beer. This one, I was happy to be sharing the bottle with bookert. One half a bomber was enough for me. Though I enjoyed it, I wouldn't want to session it.

Appearance: Pours an orange amber color with a big creamy white head and nice lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit hop aroma sweet floral attribute and malts balance out the nose.

Taste: The hops are brash and unrelenting. There is some caramel malt flavor but the hops are overwhelming and paired a nip of alcohol and with a leafy dryness that sticks to my cheeks; my mouth was so dry that I felt like a glass of water.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant smooth feel with light carbonation and lots of dryness left on the cheeks.

Drinkability: Overall, a good DIPA but certainly extreme.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

22 oz. bottle- color of hazy orange , with a thick off white head , and sight sediment - nose of hops , hops , and more hops , some resin , and citrus – taste of hops , grapefruit , resin , pine , slight maltyness , and bread - body is soft , dry , and with medium carbonation – aftertaste of resin , hops , and spruce

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Bomber.

A) Clear and huge foamy head from the bomber.

S) Crisp and aromatic.

T) Wow, this is up there with the finest of all. It has the great tension of flavor between bitter hop and aromatic fruit. I tasted clear pine and citrusy grapefruit along with a slight bubblegum thing. Me and 3 others did a taste test with 4 Imperials, this along with 3Floyds, Stone 10, and Reaper Sleighor. It’s a good time to be alive and like strong IPA!

M) Creamy, oily and full.

D) Scrumtrulescent! (Will Ferrell anyone?!?!?!)

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

This “triple” stuff is a bunch of market BS, we have a good DIPA, and a kick-ass IPA, if labeled as such.

Here we go with a solid pour of amber orange, sticky pillow top of ivory ice cream. And I guess sickle is stuck in my mind, the aroma is of an orange pop-sickle. And, of course, the taste of orangy pop-sickle pine grapefruit ice cream cup.

Possible a little thin for a triple IPA, it still made for an easy drinking beverage for a spring session. The alcohol is hidden, but you can tell from the oil it’s in here.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%

22 oz bomber.
Wow, there's a lot of sediment visible in the bottom of this bottle. Looks pretty heavy though, so even if it makes it to the glass I think it will settle out quickly.

Pours a hazy copper/light amber color. Head is large, nearly white, and retains very well. By the time I type this I've got a thick sheet of sticky lace on one side of the glass.

Nose - I can just barely smell some toasted malts here, with a bit of carmelization noted. Oh, and don't be shocked, but I think there may be just a little bit of hops in this beer...Wow.
Extremely floral, lots of pine, and some grapefruit. Fresh, inviting, outdoorsy. Some alcohol is noted by mid-glass, but still struggles to show itself. Maybe I'll soak a coaster in the bottle dregs and see how it works as an air freshener.

Balanced? I suppose the hop profile is balanced between ass-kicking and palate-numbing, but otherwise, umm, no. There's hops, hops, and hops. And maybe some hops.
Malts that are merely subdued in the aroma are curled into the fetal position after a hop beating and barely noted here in the flavor, but for the record seem to be mostly of the caramel variety. (Compared to the Moylander double IPA there is actually a ton of malt here!)
Overall bitterness is not as strong as expected, but along with some alcohol warming there is an increasing bitter bite lingering on my tongue as the level of brew in my glass swiftly drops.

Full bodied, creamy, with a soft carbonation that lets the hops shine. Really well done.

Drinkability...I've got more bottles calling me, but I'm not about to try to finish a 2nd. Maybe not the smartest thing to have sipped (OK, nearly gulped) before a classy evening meal...but totally worth it. I'm hoping my palate will be released from this spell of paralyzing hop numbness in time to taste my dinner.

I could go on, but trying to wax poetic about the qualities of this beer seems pointless - if you are looking for a nice-looking, fresh-smelling glass of a beverage that celebrates the glory of hops, by all means try it. If you don't like hops, then please leave it for the rest of us!

4.14/5  rDev +1%

Pours clear, medium amber, with even bubbles. Nice ~1 inch white-yellow head. Smells floral, slightly woody - like pine. Initial malty flavor immediately overtaken by a strong hop bitterness on the tip of your tongue and migrates to the back of the throat with just a little sweetness in between. Very bitter, excellent with food, especially home-made pizza and salt & pepper krinkle cut chips. Somewhat overpowering, giving it the low drinkability rating.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%

So here's the question...Next time I'm in the mood for a beer like this should I...

A: Grab a Moylans Imperial IPA
OR....
B: Get a three foot water pipe, an ounce of Tomahawk hops, and a few sticks of coconut incense...

Whew....I don't say this very often, but I'm glad I split this 22oz hoptacular oral chainsaw of a beer with a fellow BA. Poured into a large snifter so as to harness the incredible aromas of pine & floral hops. Close your eyes, and bury your nose into the glass to get close to the substantial, creamy white head of this dark orange/yellow offering. It's not hard to imagine standing in the middle of the evergreen filled High Sierras after a light rain, a nose truly worthy of a "5/exceptional" score if there ever was one. The taste...well, a bit of sweet pale malt, umm a touch of citrus, and....oh ya, an insane (borderline obnoxious) amount of Tomahawk, Cascade, and Centennial hops, that unceremoniously rip through your taste buds, leaving you thirstier than when you started. It’s sort of like getting hit in the mouth by a moist pine cone, but in a good way. I have to say though, I’m glad to have experienced this “extreme” beer, and would (in small quantities) like to have it on occasion. If anything, I’d just like to smell it again. This beer goes well with nothing……NOTHING I say. If after a few sips, the beer you are drinking can turn an aged, four year old white Canadian Cheddar into Velveeta, you know you are dealing with some serious ale….Good luck.…Enjoy

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up a bomber from AJ's in late October for $5.59.

Beer poured an amber-orange, with a fluffy white head, and floating sediment adding to the intrigue. Nose is a blast of grapefruit and other floral hops. Taste is hops and more hops with some balancing by the malts. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lively on the palate. Overall drinkability is good. This is a classic west coast double IPA that is a must try for fans of the style!

4.14/5  rDev +1%

I generally review a beer in the order that I reach each step. Usually it starts with appearance. Not this beer. Immediately as soon as I popped the top of this bomber I could smell grapefruit and other citrus smells. After I poured this into the glass, the aroma was more powerful and I could smell some sweetness as well. It has a dark amber reddish body with almost no head and small flecks of something (yeast?) floating in suspension. I don't think it's bottle conditioned, but that could explain it if it was. Ahh, time for the first sip. DAMN...this is a hoppy beer. It is really grapefruity and piney. The flavor is extremely powerful. It has good mouthfeel but it's a bit hoppy for me to drink a lot of. It is actually a bit of a chore to finish the bomber by myself.

Edit: Clearly I missed the giant red part of the label that says "Live Ale - Keep Refrigerated". The fact that this was bottle conditioned explains the floaties.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A friend was kind enough to split a bottle with me of this uber hoppy beer. The beer poured a ruddy brownish-red with a lot of particulate floating around in the beer. The smell was not hoppy like I expected but a little buttery (diacetyl?). It was still a good smell however. The taste was also not as hoppy as I remembered from GABF but it still packed a punch. The drinkability was pretty darn good because I couldn't taste the alcohol. too bad this is not available in Colorado.

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%

Rockin' a deuce-deuce of this hoppy monstrosity...

Nice dark orange color. The sediment sits stagnant, floating motionless. Decent amount of head.

Strong, bitter hop smell. Great combo of woodsy and citrusy hops. Wonderful. Perfect sweet/bitter balance in the hops alone. Absolute dynamite.

An excellent bitterness overtakes this brew, completely whooping the sweetness's tender backside. Lots of pine. Very apparent alcohol bite.

Thick. Kills the tongue but in a good way. Quite substantial. This baby is a one-n-done; delicious but far too bitter to repeat too much.

Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale from Moylan's Brewery