Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

India Pale Ale | Moylan's Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2002

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
3.46/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Exploding with carbonation before it even gets out of the bottle, this beer had a soft fluffy head that was thick and tall. Bits of yeast floating around in the orangey copper liquid, as rings of stain round the glass from full lace.

Smelled of thick maple sweetness and some serious pineapple. Also a pine cone scent that was small but husky, and almost herb-like. Tasting most obviously of pineapple sweetness, this beer is lightly spicy with small bitter hops at first, but some oiliness leavesa hop leaf flavor. Herbal bitters through out. Unfortunately, the finish can become an unseemly bitter and stale cream flavor. This beer starts off great and ends not-so-much, feeling disjointed at times.

Mouthfeel was oily and a bit fizzy from all of the carbonation, yet has a good moderate body underneath it. A looker and sniffer that falls off from there.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

Highly charged bottle, a fast rising 1 1/2 inch head after a careful pour. Nice custard consistency. Hazy darker orange color. Big laces mark the glass. Excellent aroma, just the right amount of tangy bitter orange and a slight honey backdrop. Definitely comes out hoppy in flavor, so juiicy in impression that I almost feel like I'm chewing on an orange peel. Not much in the malt department but this isn't scouring in style. The hoppiness is so fresh (and refreshing) in this beer that I'm willing to forget about a better malt balance. It gets creamier as it warms.

Source: Liquid Solutions

2.94/5  rDev -23%

Medium orange gold color. Frelling Enormous head. Took 5 minutes to dissipate enough to drink. (loses 1 Appearance points for that). The aroma, or at least what gets past the head, is slightly citric. Kind of weak for an IPA. There is some hoppyness, but mostly maltyness. Some grapefruit and grassiness from what hops are there, some alcohol flavors as well. Drinkable, but I would never have guessed that this is an IPA. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is bitter with some alcohol bite.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

Pint style glass
A dusky copper orange color with little head. It has a hop fruit scent. There is a bitter quality to the nose.

It has citrus flavors and finishes with a hop pine flavor. The hops in the IPA are strong but I felt restrained in some way. Maybe the malts take away from the hops. I just felt like there were flavors there I was missing.

The IPA is crisp, It goes down smooth and is a real nice drinkable IPA. I want to try this one again.

4.14/5  rDev +8.4%

The head on this beer is absolutely absurd. Even with the glass tilted and a very slow pour, I ended up with a 4 inch head. Every time I added more to my glass, the head exploded again. Don't get me wrong, I love a good head on my beer, but this is ridiculous. I swear that I can move the glass 45 degrees and the head does not move. It's like a block of styrofoam.

Aroma is deep malty, with a hint of hops.

Slightly chewy mouthfeel, and the malt and hops combine to create a great, balanced (albeit lowkey) taste.

The lacing is also over the top. It's the most tenacious and arrogant lacing I've ever seen -- it hangs from the glass in chunks.

Really, this is a good beer, very tasty, but I shall have to look at the other reviews to see if my head explosion was an anomaly.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer poured a dark amber color and formed a light tan foamy head that left circular lace as it subsided. A bit darker in style than is common for this style. A good balanced aroma of malt and hops is present. A flavor of malt and hops that is well balanced without the usual overpowering aspect of hops as some IPAs. Some hop bitterness is present in the finish. This is a good IPA, if not as hoppy as I usually like them.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Dark golden color with a constant low light tan head, decent carbonation, and nice lace. Balanced hop/malt aroma; hop aroma is more sprucey & piney than floral or citrusy. Balanced flavor but hop flavor is not much more than just for bitterness. Medium bodied and smooth with a spicy dry hop finish.

This one is plain old too bitter with not much going for it. Go with the Double IPA - much different and much better.

($3.77 / 22 oz.)

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Clear copper color with a meringue-like head. Some yeast flecks are present. Leafy hop and bread doughy/biscuity aroma. Light bodied. Mouthfeel is smooth with moderate carbonation. The balance of malt and fruit juicy hop is well done. Complex and satisfying enough to have one or two…drinkable enough to have several.

Thanks to Valleyboy for the sample through the Christmas beer exchange.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Now we are talking – the last beer of the night and an IPA….
…and a Californian One; Moylan’s India Pale Ale at 6.5% ABV – Nice.

Pours with a turbid cloudy appearance – I like this – danger looks me in the face and says “I am going to retaliate tomorrow, but how? – gaseous or solid?” Guess I’ll know when I’m on the BA Pasadena Pub Crawl, I just hope it won’t be short notice!

Head was large but rescinded to a white collar and a scummy top for the duration of the drink. Laced well, when I finished it reminded me of highly lace-spattered empty Pint Glasses I used to take back to the Bar in England for a top-up.

Aromas are very fruity and awakening whilst being immensely hoppy. They are inviting, but yet still controlled by the astringent bitter hop-oil odors.

The body of the beer is an amber copper color, and after a while it settles clear, the light yeast floaties slowly disappear to reveal a good looking beer.

I like the balance here, the hops are strong, but for the West Coast “restrained”, but this is nowhere near detrimental, I am fed up with “OTT” IPA’s and I2PA’s. This is a very well hopped and extremely well-balanced IPA for my money. A very drinkable IPA indeed.

A nice beer and one I will most certainly purchase again.

Here’s to all the Hopheads out there – but especially to one *very* Special Hophead in particular tonight! You’re never alone at BA.com!

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Too much head on the pour. Some sedimate towards the end of the bottle. Nice cloudy carmel color. Dificult time trying to get a decent smell through the thick head. Citrusy flavor. Not a huge hop presence. Enough head leftover to lace the glass very nicely. Not one of my favorites, but the greatest thing about the thick head is that it works as a wonderful barrier between the beer and any foreign substance that may try to invade it.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

After thouroughly enjoying other offerings from Moylan's, I found the IPA bit disappointing. It's got the par for the course IPA color with a nice hop aroma. However, the taste was nothing special. The hops and malt are well-balanced, but nothing stands out.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Orange / amber hue w/ a slight haze. Thin, but tight head leaves a loose lace. Floral and citrusy hop nose from perhaps a Goldings / American "C" hop dry - hop combination. Yeast esters are minimal, but just a hint of tart fruit is perceptible. Hop bitterness hits upfront, but quickly gives way to caramel malt sweetness and lightly toasted notes. Nothing outstanding in flavor. Hop flavor is not unlike the aroma-- pleasantly floral and citrusy. Full bodied for style. Finishes quite sweet, perhaps a touch too sweet for an IPA. Although quite tasty, this beer seemed a bit too sweet and underattenuated and lacked any noteable malt flavors. The hop bitterness faded too quickly. Of course, maybe I'm just getting too accustomed to "double IPAs"... : ) This is still a fine brew.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a hazy light copper with a medium rocky head. Citrus tones on the nose and actually some sweet maltiness too. This is a decent IPA. A delicate pungency. Some citrus and piney notes. Pretty good bitterness. Good malt backing also. This IPA doesn't blow me away, but it's good.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last