Celts Golden Ale | Moylan's Brewery

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 57 | Ratings: 71

The beer decamps the 22-ounce brown bottle slightly hazy amber with a huge light tan head that is foamy in texture and as it erodes a thin sheet of lace is left to cover the glass. Malt nose with hints of citrus and a very slight floral tone also noted. Lightly sweet at the start, very light top, the finish has a nice hop bite, dry, very acidic, but not what I would call 'Great', does appear watery, not overly so, but more than I like.

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Bomber, served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Honey yellow color, slightly hazy. Big ol' near white head. Annoyingly explosive head, to boot. Good retention and nice fluffy chunks of lace.

Smell: Light smell of aromatic hops, kind of herbal. Faint smell of pale malt. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Taste: Splash of herbaceous hops with a light smattering of pale malt sweetness. Slight bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, a 98 lb. weakling. Little aftertaste, rather refreshing.

Drinkability: Advertises itself as a session beer, and I'd say it delivers on that promise. A decently made beer with mass appeal, but I suspect us jaded BA palates might not get all excited about it.

2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

Golden yellow straw color, large head. Aroma is grainy and sweet. Crisp and slightly hopped, kind of bubbly, a little over carbonated? There is a slight fruitiness to this beer, and a subtle, soft mouth feel. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

2.82/5  rDev -8.1%

This was once of the least impressive brews I have had in a while. The bottle gushed immediately upon opening. Considering I bought it off a shelf instead of the recommended cold storage, this isn’t really surprising. The color is very hazy and straw golden underneath an unrelenting head. The aroma is fruity and wreaks of yeast. Once I got down to the actual liquid a smooth mellow malt flavor melded with a buttery and ester yeasty flavor. The bitterness starts and remains mild throughout. All together I think if properly stored this ale might be more impressive, but for now, I’m not too hot for it.

3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Excellent, another new Moylan’s beer to try, this time it is the Celts Golden Pale Ale at 5.0% ABV, I’m tingling already, but is this too soon?

Pours with a pastel pale golden color that has a feint orangey hue, it has a slightly milky appearance that spoils the overall apperance a little. The head formed quickly, a controlled expansion as I poured the beer into my oversize handled Mug ensured that it always stayed on the right side of the glass. Looks are of a mildly hazy thirst quenching golden ale.

Aromas are fruity but restrained, a swirl reveals good inherent carbonation, but this releases little else in the way of any other smells apart from a lemon/lime character. The subdued nose is somewhat of a disappointment after other Moylan’s beers that I have had recently - I expected more than just the light fruity and lemon bouquet to be honest.

Introduction is a mildly fruity one with some lemon-hop presence. The middle builds to a average sweet bitterness, with an equally light malt taste. The finish is crisp, clear, well-defined and dry with some citric personality, but short-lived. No lingering tastes here. Although towards the end of the beer I detected a light bitter hop-oil coating in my mouth, but it was feint.

I am struggling at this point to make my mind up, all of the other Moylan’s beers that I have had have been excellent. And I find no “fault” with this beer. But yet I find this beer far too restrained for a Pale Ale, or my liking. Is it supposed to be this “light”? I guess it is?! – If so, it is just too laid back for me. Don’t get me wrong, this is a good beer, and far from offensive, but for a West Coast Pale Ale – and this is the crux of the problem I believe – whilst I do not expect it to be aggressive, after other Moylan’s beers, I do at least expect it to be bold.

Maybe a good 5% Summer Beer, but I will stick with their highly superb IPA instead I think.

A reasonable beer, but for me, it is the “odd-one-out” in the Moylan’s line-up to be honest.

2.86/5  rDev -6.8%

Hazy light orange hue. Thick, dense, slowly dissapating head. Assertive citric fruity esters consist of lemony - lime, old citrus rind, slightly sour mustiness and a hint of nutty malt. Subdued damp floral Goldings hop nose. Odd aroma overall. Very well carbonated, w/ a spritzy mouthfeel. Flavorwise lemony fruit esters and grainy malt dominate. The light hop bitterness is appropriate considering the equally light malt backbone. Citrusy hop flavor. Dry, citric, lightly nutty finish. Not a beer to be savored... it's too odd. The lemon - lime flavors and light, spritzy feel make this beer reminescent of shandy.

1.89/5  rDev -38.4%

Myabe a bad bottle...super duper charged..pours a huge head...fruity aroma (pears/apples) soapy tasting..bitter like drinking soap...too charged up...nose is about the only thing average about this beer, the rest is poor...I'm not finishing it it's that bad...

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last