Moylander Double IPA | Moylan's Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-21-2002

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from a freshly delivered batch right out of the box, this was a glowing, hazy orange with quite a thick, creamy, and long-lasting head. powerful bouqet was honeyed sweet malts, and resiny, piney citrus. fruity and fresh in the nose. sweet malts upfront are quickly dominated by a big, lingering hop bitterness that is just a bit rough. medium to full bodied with nice carbonation for a thicker beer.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%

Aroma: Ruby red grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, & pine.

Looks: Cloudy. Orange/ copper in colour. Smaller than average head. Poor head retention. Some good & very fine lace.

Taste: Good bitterness. Spicy hop flavours. Some warmth from the alcohol. I can taste some flavours of grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, fuzzy peaches ( those little candies), dried apricots, & lots of pine. I'm really trying, but can't describe the malt character here, it's buried too deep underneath the hops, & that is ok with me as hops are meant to be the star of the show in an IPA. The bitterness, pine flavour, and alcohol dominate.

Mouthfeel: Very nice. Lots of little bubbles. Creamy, but lively. Full bodied, but when compared to a good oatmeal stout, it's on the lighter side of full bodied.

Overall, I think this is a nice DIPA. It has it's place as an extreme Beer. This Beer would pair well with hot and spicy foods.

Note: I had mentioned that this Beer gave a smaller than average head, & it did on the 1st pour, but when I poured the rest into my glass it produced a larger than average head... but still poor head retention.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy mild copper with a nice off white head and just a little lacing. Smell is hoppy as hell, nice citrus notes dominate but there's some mild grass and pine as well.
Taste is very smooth and creamy. Nice creamy sweetness at first followed by a lingering pleasant bitter hoppiness in the finish. Very well balanced between malt and hop. Mild alcohol presence makes this very drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Dark warm amber appearance, very clear, considerable head when poured carefully from the bottle. In toxicating hop nose, aromatic, pine and citrus notes. Concentrated, good mouthfeel, well balanced, alcoholic but well disguised. We think it compared favourably with a Dreadnaught.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to a pint glass, the liquid is a dark orange with huge carbonation. The head is very big and thick, lots of tan foam leaving lots of lace.

The smell is big citrus hops, with a sweetness fueled by lots of malt.

The taste is even better, huge citrus hoppy taste with a twist of lemon, Interesting. The big malt brings balance. quite even and a very tasty finish.

The mouthfeel is good think body, and big carbonation, however I like a bit more bite.

The drinkability is good, I would look for this again.

Prosit, MK

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a nice ruby red color with a big thunderous head. The head dies down, but let me tell you it left a solid sheet of lacing all the way down one side of the glass.

S: Nice piney hops with an equal amount of citrus. This one is in your face with hops and lets you know exactly what to expect when it comes to taste. That being said there is a gentle malty quality to this brew as well. I noted hints of brown sugar sweetness and along with a hint of nutty toffee.

T: Man I don't understand the recent negative reviews. This is one superb beer. Tons of hops assault your senses right from the start. Lemon zest and pine sap rule here. They claim double the malt to go along with the hop overload and let me tell you I can taste it. A nice biscuity malty sweetness makes its presence known making this one enjoyable brew.

M: Nice and thick. Very filling.

D: I would session with this bad boy until I fell down, and it would not take long for that to happen.

Overall: My first Moylan brew, glad I have a few others in reserve. I will make no bones about it, I am a hophead and this beer is able to peak all of my senses. The sheer amount of hops in this beer is soo over the top in a wonderful way. They used a great deal of malt to offset the hops while still allowing you to enjoy total sensory overload. I love this beer. Would love to have another 8 or 10 bombers in reserve.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a mug.

A: Four fingers of head with a good diversity of bubbles sizes. Cloudy light golden color.

S: Bready and doughy smell overwhelming. A little fruity hops, but only fruit, no piney smell.

T: Big bitterness at the open with bready notes creeping in. Solvent-like alcohol :-(

M: Smooth but oily

D: Okay, not average, but not exceptional

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My parents brought this back for me from thier last trip out west, so of course as soon as they get it to me, it's available in my market... Ah well, into the Goose Tulip...

A - Light, somewhat cloudy orange body with a very atractive white head that leaves very nice lace behind. Beautiful.

S - Citrus hops dominate this (duh), with a fair amount of pine from the hops thrown in. More maltyness than expected thrown in, but was a little dirtier than I expected.

T - Good balence of flavors. Hops hit at many different points. Not the most exciting IIPA ever...

M - Mildly silky, decent body, fine...

D - Enjoyable, not life changing. Great fix of hops for the price...

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours out a clear burned orange/copper with a soapy white head that laces throughout. Nose is piney with a big sweet malt. Taste actually starts with big sweet malt followed by a blast of pine then huge citrus rind hops. Lingering bitter hops but a minor balance of malt. Creamy in the mouth with decent carbonation. Drinkable for the ABV, the bitterness is the only thing holding this back from being sessionable but do we really want our DIPA to be a session beer?

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a shaker glass.

The beer is a beautiful, clear dark orange color with about a half-inch of off-white head. Belgain lace is left all along the glass. The aroma is an impressive mix of biscuits, lemons, grapefruit, and sweet flowers.

The taste is biscuits and wheat bread, along with lemons, grapefruits, tangerines, and a little bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is somewhere between medium and full.

This is an excellent, very drinkable DIPA.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

GABF Gold medal winner I thought I read. This beer is worth every bit of it. Pours a one finger head just like my friends mama.

I usually dont like anything they do, but this beer is fantastic. Pours a beautiful orange with that double ipa haze in the middle.

This beer smells sweet, hoppy, floral, and tastes the same way. Caramel notes, biting hops at first, with that pine resiny alcohol double ipa that i've felt only with pliny the elder.

What a fantastic mouthfeel beer. If I could make love to a beer, this would be it. What's even worse is I think the bottle I bought is a year old which means I think this beer would hold up with age.

Get it? Got it? Good

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%

Serving from a 22 oz. bomber, decanted into a standard 16 oz. pint glass.

WARNING! Go *easy* on the pour. I didn't, and got mostly a full glass of head. Definitely over carbonated. The head is ivory colored, and huge and blocky. Even on my 2nd attempt, pouring very slowly, I still got 2 fingers of head. The head sticks to the end of the glass, and blocky patches of lacing line the sides of the glass all the way down. The beer is a burnt orange color and so turbid that you cannot see through it. I put a flashlight behind my glass, and still could not see through it. Moylan claims double malts and double hops, but they should also tell you triple/quadruple head and turbidity.

The nose is hoppy, with citrus and floral notes. There is a malt element to the nose as well. It is there, but I couldn't put my finger on an adjective to describe it.

Taste is a bombardment of huge hops and malts. This is a *very* complex beer. Hop notes are citrus, floral, hay and fruit rind. Malt notes are dark fruit and bread. These two battle each other like I've never seen in an IIPA/Imperial IPA. The hops win out in the end, but only by the meanest. The 8.5% abv is not noticeable in the flavor, that I could detect. Mouthfeel is very very full and almost chewy. Drinkability I'd only rate as fair, since I would not like to fight off the high carbonation twice. I enjoyed the full bomber, but when it was done, so was I.

This is a very complex IIPA ... the most complex of its style that I've ever encountered. The huge hop/malt battle is something to experience. Those of you looking for an extreme beer will not be disappointed by this offering from Moylan's Brewery. While probably not for the faint of heart, I'd definitely recommend this to those looking for an extreme experience.

Na Zdravje

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

22oz bomber, served in a pint glass.

A - clouded, orange/gold color with a small white head that thins to a light layer, leaving some small patches of sticky lace.

S - citrus/pineapple aroma.

T - citrus hop flavor, pineapple and apricot mostly, with a very bitter finish.

M - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

D - ok with food/snacks, but I couldn't drink this all night.

4.26/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a hazy copper with a dense three-finger head. Outstanding retention and thick-sticky spiderweb lacing. Strong peach and grapefruit nose, with some grass and pine sap scent and citrus and mango further filling out the american hop profile; some mild toasted malt and mabye a hint of roast in the background- but definitely hop-centric. Whiff of alcohol and oxidation as it warms. Crisp Marris Otter or Golden Promise malt upfront, followed by rich dextrin and a slight roasted note. The aftertaste is an explosion of american hop flavor. Grapefruit is most prominent- with a somewhat abrasive co-humulone bite- but no doubt agreeable to the west-coast hopheads. Pine sap, acidic citric tones, tropical fruit hop oils and fresh-cut grass are all displayed here, before a mellow toasted malt and some mild chocolate malt tones balances out the overal flavor. Medium-full body with medium-light carbonation- this allows the resinous hop oils the set in and then slowly fade before becoming cloying. Finishes hoppy and slightly residual- but not overwhelming and fairly drinkable to any hard-core Lupomaniac. Seriously, this may be more focused on the hops than Moylan's Hopsicle.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a translucent orange/gold hue with a big creamy white head that is mostly sustaining and leaves a lot of thick lacing on the glass
S- Nose is dominated by thick and sweet pine and citrus hops (grapefruit mostly), as well as spice and herbs, and a touch of alcohol and yeasty malts, the aroma is delicious and bold yet well-balanced
T- Initial taste is dominated by grapefruit and pine hops balanced by a nice mix of sweet malts, some nice herbs and pepper come in midway, finishes with a slight warming alcohol presence and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied DIPA that has a creamy/oily texture, good carbonation
D- Even at 8.5%, this is a well-balanced DIPA that does a great job of masking the alcohol content.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

A. pours a medium carmel color. Thick creamy head that stays. As I draink this beer even the head chunks stuck to the side of the glass. Big chunks of sediment suspended throuout the glass.
S. Hops! light alcohol and spicy pepper.
T. Hops! Unlike other reviews of this beer, I tasted sweet malt within. The hop bitterness lasts well over a minute. I even tasted a hint of smoke?!
M. Very chewy like a meal. Oily hops too. Very bitter that lasts with some alcohol left on the tounge.
D This beer seemed so balanced to me (unlike other reviews), So bitter with sweetness and piney oils. I want another!

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Copper-bronze with a fluffy, slightly off-white head. Good retention & great lacing.

S: Piney hops, cotton-candy fruity esters, toffee, nectarine, biscuity malt.

T: Hop flavour is very piney, with a good amount of nectarine & tangerine citrus flavour. Toffee & biscuity malt, good bitterness (average for the style), slight fruityness from the esters, alcohol is really well-hidden.

M: Moderate to full body is smooth and silky. Really well-attenuated for its strength, with a slightly dry & acidic finish. Modest carbonation.

D: Very drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dull orange color with an inch or so of foam, great lacing as well. Nice citrus and pine hops, it's about all I can detect on this one. Big orange, grapefruit aroma with a sweet hint of malt in the background. Strong bitterness in the taste with a bitter orange peel aftertaste; some biscuit and bready aromas but you really have to let this one get to room temperature to get some malt aromas and taste. The bitterness is dominant so you better like to drink some hop juice or else stay away from this one. There is an interesting citrus peel flavor in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thin but the carbonation is quite good. Must like west coast ipas to enjoy this brew!

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

nice crisp amber hue,looks great in the glass.No real head to speak of.Some bubbles remain on the side of the glass as it laces down.A citrus grapefruit kick that has a wonderful aroma for my rather large nose.This is a great hoppy beer.Not much in the way of malt but it is there.Hoppiness really shines through.Great bubbley sensation dances a little jig on the tounge while the floral,fruity,citrus flavors hit my mouth making the evening so much better.Good dry bittering at the finish but doesn't stay to long to seem,well,dry.Hop Heads...Do this beer!!

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours hazy gold in color with a huge fluffy buttery cream head that very slowly laces and recedes. Fresh citrus, tangerines and mangos, powdered vitamin c candy in the aroma. Taste is also big and citrusy hops, decent malt sweetness in the background is sweet, but definitely playing a supporting role to the hops. Decent pepperiness on the tongue and a bit of alcohol in the finish. Mouthfeel is very nice and creamy, medium in body, soft but fairly full, cut and balanced by the bitterness. Very nice dipa, great mouthfeel and appearance, satisfied my hops craving tonite.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

22 oz bomber

pours a light coppery/orange color, the first glass quite clear, the second decidedly more clouded. The sediment is finer and much less chunky than big brother Hopsickle. The head is off-white and huge, receding slowly and never quite disappearing, with exceptional fine patterns of lacing.

Nose is one-sided hoppiness, with none of the toasted or caramel malt present in Hopsickle, but very nice. Grassy, lots of pine, and quite a bit of citrus - the best part is despite sitting in my fridge for the last 4 months it seems vibrant and fresh. I had one fresh and don't recall it being substantially different; there is a lot of hops here, and I aint complaining.

Taste is a far cry from caramel malt-heavy Hopsickle, but fine nonetheless. Lots of grapefruit with just a bit of something sweeter like orange. Quite bitter, especially as it warms, and it clings to the palate. Just about perfect for an unbalanced hophead dream, and even the 8.5% is beaten into submission by the hop profile.

Creamy full body and soft carbonation that doesn't detract at all from the hops. Another taste-bud paralyzer, and another exceptional effort from Moylan's.

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%

So I am not totally sure where I should begin with this one. I had been saving this is in the fridge for a couple months as I had wanted to hunt this one down forever and did not just want to open it for no good reason. But, seeing as how I am fastly approaching review number 500, I wanna make these last 10 or so really count and really be some good brews. So I decided to go and pop this one open. Now this was a big time one for me, as I cannot get Moylans around here and have really fell over for anything I have tried from them before. So this was defiantly going to be a treat for me for sure…So onward to the review.

A – Ok I have never had a pour like this one before. Seriously I do not even know how to begin describing the pour out of this one. It had the Tallest, foamiest, stickiest, billowing monster of a head that I have ever scene. Retention does not even begin to describe what was going on here. This thing was all over the place. It literally took over 10 minutes for me to pour even one glass from this as it just would not settle at all. The lace was soo sticky and clingy that I could not even see through the glass. Not only that I could not even get the glass really clean when I was done with it. I have no idea what was put in this but it was thick and clingy. The color was great, a nice rich amber hue, nice and dark with lots of haze. Some sediment was also apparent when the last of it finally came out. Now there was adequate carbonation visible in here as you could probably guess. Overall the look on this one was tremendous. To say that it looked big would be doing it a grave in justice. This looked like a monster, only time and some testing will reveal whether or not it can hold up to the way it initially looked

S – Very nice, lots of citric orange present immediately. Orange peel, tangerine and some grapefruit hop flavors were doing the most damage here. Probably the most present being grapefruit as it had that certain little bit of a twang to it that really stands out when it gets bitter. Definatly a malted back present as it had a touch of sugar and even an earthen grain quality to it as you dove deeper into the aroma. A touch of a yeasty smell was there as well, and just the tiniest touch of a brandy like smell to round it out. Not smelling like a huge IBU hop bomb, but so far this looks and smells like a very well balanced monster.

T – Ok, so now this is where it is at for sure. A huge burst of bitter grapefruit and pine hits you right off the top. Not you strickly mouth ruining hop explosion, but rather a nice warm sticky assault that left you pondering and still able to dive into the more subtle flavors that were lying just underneath the surface. Speaking of which, just underneath the surface was a plethero of malted sugar balanced very nicely against all the citric hoppiness that was to be found. A great little grainy back was there and did a lot to help mellow it all together and get everything a bit more of a full and robust flavor. Great use of hops though, as it was not all just a full on assault but rather a nice balance between everything that made this just ohh that good. A slight touch of the abv, but nothing that was really killing you or making it bad in anyway. Great dry, very dry finish. Left your mouth, teeth and gums very sticky and dry. Almost reached for a glass of water during it. There was no mistake this one was big and meant some serious business.

M – Very nice here. First off it was very generously carbonated, full of life in the feel. And the hops just made it absolutely chewey and sticky. You could really feel the resin dripping off of this one with each and every sip you took. It was super smooth, I mean it went down literally like it was nothing at all. Lots of residual taste in that I could still catch some of it nearly an hour after my first sip. Nowhere near watered down or oily feeling. This was just really a treat to have, almost like a nice desert. A good thickness to it, but not syrup like, just enough to let you know it wasn’t thin and it definitely meant its business.

D – Awesome, only word that would sum it up properly. Just a great great enjoyable brew here. I was sipping on this one literally what felt like all night and it just never got boring. High ABV limits the amount you can have, but the absolute flavor bomb makes it a sipper anyway. I really could have just kept this one going and going. It really was just that good.

Overall I really do not have enough good things to say about this one. Such a great classic west coast hoppy mess. It really was just great. I do not really have anything negative I can say here. It was just put together so well that I was in heaven with it. The taste was very bitter and had just the right amount of balance to it. Great feel, super smooth, awesome look and a great overall profile. I wish all doubles were like this. Definitely need to get out and try more from Moylans.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Middle dark orange, head has decent volume but doesn't last terribly long. Lacing is quite good though.

Aroma is huge, grapefruit and other citrics abound, with some toasty caramel malt to back it up.

A little sweet with the rich malt profile, citric and quite piney hop flavor. Slightly peppery with the alcohol.

Just a hair thin in the mouth, but just fine given the high hopping.

Finishable, but not a double IPA I'm going to return to again and again. Very solid interpretation of a favorite style. Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This is my second time reviewing this beer. This one has been aged for quite some time.

Pours a deep orange/gold with a giant frothy rocky very light tan head. Great head retention and lacing. Good carbonation.

Citrus and piney cedar resiny and spicey herbal notes on the nose.

Surprisingly, the taste seems more bitter after cellaring for a while. Although the malt has come forward a bit, this makes the whole thing all the more interesting.

I would also undeniably call this a full bodied beer now. Sometimes the high hops mask the true richness of the beer. I always like what happens when aging a great IPA. You may generally enjoy it more in it's ideal state. But it's always worth setting one aside for a year or two. The education is worth it.

What a great beer.

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

22 oz bomber into pint glass. Golden/orange color, not much head to speak of--whatever there is dies down within a minute or so. The smell is lovely--lots of citrus notes, pine, but all with a solid caramel/toffee malt that is balanced very nicely. The taste is dominated by the citrus notes and it finishes with a lot of grapefruit and bitter fruit. It's a bit less balanced once it hits the palate but nothing at all disagreeable. A very long, full finish. On the whole, a very nice DIPA. Like many others of its kind, it's dominated by a citrus hop note--but underneath that there's some really nice complexity. A solid choice.

Moylander Double IPA from Moylan's Brewery