Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale | Moylan's Brewery

Reviews: 403 | Ratings: 753
Reviews by rapidsequence:
1.87/5  rDev -50.1%

22 oz bottle.

Appearance: Looks nice. Bright ruby, perfect clarity. Nice head, nice lacing.

Smell: At first I described it to myself as malty and earthy. As I went along I began to think of it as dirt. Smells like dirt. Not really oaky or peaty, just dirt. I long for malty sweetness, but its all dirt.

Taste: Dirt. Not sweet. Not tasty.

Mouthfeel: Its not bad. A little thin for a wee heavy. At least there's no chunks of the dirt I taste.

Drinkability: I poured it out. Thats a rarity.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

found this beer at my local beer store that was offering it at a tasting. After a small sample I was hooked. Bought every bottle they had. it is smooth, buttery, not too hoppy and just enough ABV to make the evening that much nicer. the 22 oz bottle makes its a definite double thought before drinking, but once you pop the top, it is so simple to finish.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours garnet chestnut under a finely bubbled 1” cream colored foam collar that produces gothic window lace.
S: Spice malts and light creamed corn.
T: Rich malt flavors, bread, caramel to toffee, trace of anise, slight fruit, plum, finishes with a moderate hop accent.
F: Smooth, creamy, full body, medium to medium low carbonation
O: A malty, smooth, full flavored beer.

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: very dark, nice foam head
S: Not too much aroma, you can smell the toasted malt
T: toasted malt, scotch, caramel, malt, toffee
M: medium body, dry finish
O: A favorite beer that I've had many times. One of the best scotch ales around and not overpriced like many are. A defining beer for Moylans Brewery

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Cloudy. Deep Amber. Some, not much head.
Smell: Nutty and sweet. Little honey.
Taste: Mmmm...think of a caramel apple when you drink this. Hints of sweet hops and malt.
Drinkability: Oh yeah - I'll definitely drink this beer again. Mild-light carbonation, but perfect for this beer.

About two weeks before I started writing reviews, I had a Kilt Lifter for the second time. Couldn't stop talking about it for at least a week. Just blew me away. When I decided to start writing reviews - this was one of the first I got. After every sip, I couldn't wait for the next. Try to take your time, as you should with beers like this - but it's tough. I wouldn't say the flavors are complex, but very distinct. Think of a caramel apple - and you'll taste one in this beer. But I wouldn't say this was a sweet beer at all. Light on the hops, and definitely not bitter. Oddly enough, by the end - as the last few drops had warmed up - it maintained that original flavor. I love this beer - maybe you will too...

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%

Smells like butter caramel malt. Yum.

Lots of flavors here. Definite sweet butterscotch and caramel malt presence. A get a bit of vanilla, a scotchy peaty characteristic that is subdued by the sweetness of the malt. Dried prunes raisins and fruitcake.

Mouthfeel is a very nice medium body. Just enough carbonation to keep things interesting.

This is a great example of the style.

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance : Beautiful burnt red color with 80% transparency. The head is luscious and thick, 2 fingers tall. It leaves splats of lacing as it recedes gracefully.

Aroma : Beautiful oak and woody aromas, kilned and roasted malts, faint cherry and peach. Graham cracker. Maybe a touch of clove and marshmallow. Delightful.

Taste : Very nice baked flavor with wood accents. Baked cracker, lightly toasted sourdough bread. Aged cherry in oak barrels. Chocolate covered cherry. Light yeasty character. Ends slightly zingy with more cherry and kilned wood and light chocolate. Decadent.

Mouthfeel : Bordering on light bodied; mildly carbonated but adequate for this beer, ends parched on the top half, wet on the bottom half. Yin-yang thing going there.

Overall : Hell yes, I'd buy this again. A great scottish ale.

3.96/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First experience with Moylan's Kilt Lifter was in Lake Tahoe. I read up on it decided to try it. I had a few friends with me that drank the yellow fizzy stuff, so I decided to treat them each to a glass. They really enjoyed it I think it might have been a tad too strong for them, oh well. I rather enjoyed it to the point that is all I drank while in Lake Tahoe for a week. Looking for local Southern California pubs or stores to supply it.

Very tasty and unique enough to want more. Look forward to Stone Fest and see if they have it there.

Lots of breadiness and some butterscotch/caramel flavor that creeps through. Wasn't my favorite at first sip but as I continue to sip on it the butterscotch seems to come through a little more for me. Then again, most Wee Heavy ales aren't my favorite at first sip.

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear reddish/copper, with an almost non-existent head. Aromas of plums and a hint of copper(metallic). Taste begins with dried fruit, then some dark caramel, then a husky grain, and an earthy, sugary finish. Mouthfeel is a touch light. Overall a nice ale, though a bit too sweet for me, even for the style. I also wish there was a bit more smokiness to it.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sweet malty, copper entry. Fruitiness is upfront and pronounced- prune, raisin, dark fruits. Cooked caramel adds some warmth to the glass. Soft, earthy hop bitterness comes in about 3/4 palate and on. Hops are slightly floral and pungent and the bitterness finishes soft and clean. Dull smoky notes are present from time to time, more apparent as the beer warms. Alcohol present from beginning to end, would like it to be covered a little better. Drinkability is average, hard to finish as the beer reaches room temp. Metallic taste in the aftertaste as the beer warms. Medium thin body. Carbonation is low, just enough to add to the beer versus take away from it.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 1 pt. 6 fl.oz. bottle of this from Hair of the Dog in St. Louis, MO for $5. Poured from the Green "Kilted" labeled bottle w/ awards all over the place & Yellow writing into a 16oz Pint Glass. Has no freshness date to be found.

Aroma- Strong, deep caramel and malty aroma. On the backside of the aroma, has a light boozy presence.

Appearance- Pours no head at all... Has a dark copper/ awesome caramel looking body. Semi-Clear. Leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Tons of malt and richness from the get go. Then has a light amount of scotch in the background. The hop flavor comes in at a light-medium level. Not quite to style but good representation of some of the characteristics.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Light Carbonation, Smooth, but then finishes a tad watered down... Sweet finish.

Overall Impression- This brew was good but needed more depth and more strength... Coming in at 8% ABV, I thought this would happen but not sure I ever caught what I wanted to classify as a Scotch Ale. Wouldn't diss this brew but many more offerings from Moylan Brewery that are much better.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

When i poured this beer it had a dark caramel color. It had a light head and it went away very quickly. I smelled roasted malts and even had a little alcohol smell. Roasted malts was the the first taste I got and it quickly went bitter like cacao chocolate.
I really like how big this beer is and how easy it is to drink. I will defiantly be buying this beer again and getting my Kilt Lifted.

4.39/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

A- A nice amber hue, not completely translucent. It's a bit murky, not typical for this type of beer but it's attractive nonetheless.

S- I pick up something that smells almost exactly of caramel corn with a nice malty sweetness pervading. Caramel malts dominate the nose leaving little room for the spiciness of the hops. Only after a couple of seconds after the initial sniff do I get a tinge of spice from the hops. This may be a bit on the sweet side for my taste.

T- True to the smell, I get a rush of sweetness as the beer hits my tongue. This sweetness is not at all cloying as I feared, the hops resinous qualities manages to fight through the sweetness making a very balanced beer. This was something I wasn't expecting on the nose, but was very pleased with when tasting it.

M- Nice smooth velvety beer. It's certainly not as smooth as a nitrous stout, but it shouldn't be. For it's style, I'd be hard pressed to ask for anything more.

D- Although my tongue has adjusted to hoppy beers after moving out West and sampling the amazing hop crazy beers out here, this beer is a breath of fresh air for my palate. I could drink this for quite awhile. Bravo to Moylan's for making a great beer that I'll be sure to pick up again.

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, appearance is a deep amber color with a tan frothy head. The smell is malty, sweet with a touch of alcohol. Taste is pretty smooth and sweet, then you get a slight kick of alcohol. This beer is medium bodied and very easy to drink for the alcohol content. I would definitely recommend.

Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale from Moylan's Brewery