Orange & Black Congrats Ale! | Moylan's Brewery

good
Orange & Black Congrats Ale!Orange & Black Congrats Ale!

Moylan's Brewery
moylans.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by BigB415 on 03-27-2011

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

My wife picked this up for me at her work a while ago.

Appearance- black color, thin head

Smell- licorice, caramel

Taste- licorice flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was pretty good. I would buy it again. Probably should buy some more

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I dont usually expect anything from this brewery but this is good. Not bad actually.

It tastes like a dark creamsicle would. It looks dark and orangey, its got some lace, some creaminess to the body. For 4 bucks id buy it if it were there. Not bad. The only other beer by them I like is their DIPA and Hopsickle.

GI-ants GI-ants

4.17/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reveling in the WS victory of my hometown team (SF Giants), I saw this and had to buy, not only because it was from a great brewery and a celebration of my favorite team's WS victory, but also because it sounded amazing. Black ale brewed with oranges? Yum!

A: Black with a short mocha head.

S: Orange is there, but not dominant. It smells like a black ale, with lots of chocolate, dark fruit, roasted malt and coffee, as well as a citric, slightly floral hoppiness.

T: Orange is still not as present or fresh as I had hoped for, as those same roasty notes and dark fruits take center stage amidst the orange flavor and hoppiness.

M: Medium bodied and smoothish.

O: Delicious, though the fresh orange flavors and scents I was hoping for weren't there.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

The color is the best thing about this beer, a dark beer that has a slight amber tint. Some ok lacing as the head diminishes.

Smell isn't overly impressive, I do like the chocolate grains coming through, maybe it's my imagination but I swear I smell a hint of orange.

Taste is nice, very drinkable black ale, tastes like it might be under 5% not at 6. It has a hint of chocolate and orange. The grains come through a good bit with possibly some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is good, very light feeling with nice carbonation. If I were big into black ales this one might be sessionable.

Overall, I feel like if I skipped this one I wouldn't be missing much. I might not remember it. But it is a good beer, it just falls into the crowd.

2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours an inky black with a thin, tan head that dissipates quickly in the tulip glass. Caramel, hazelnut, chocolate, and a hint of orange in the nose. The orange notes come easier when this beer warms up a bit. Mostly caramel flavor and bitter chocolate up front that moves into hazelnut and finishes with a thin toasty flavor. More chocolate flavor would be nice, but it feels watered down like coffee brewed at work. I get a little bit of the orange flavor in the end, but it's fleeting. I feel like this is an interesting black ale that missed its mark and ended up tasting too much like Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar. Moylan's gets some brownie points for making my burps taste like dark chocolate orange candy though.

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

Thin off-white foam atop a clear mahogany brew. Orange peel asserts itself first and lingers on in the nose. Bittersweet chocolate and roasty malt presence. Low floral hops. Navel oranges, lavender mingling with a malty chocolate, medium bodied. Not a repeat purchase for me.

4.02/5  rDev +13.9%

1.88/5  rDev -46.7%

Source/Serving: 22 oz bottle

S: Orange/tangerine oil, chocolate, coffee. Oranges have a stale quality (maybe it’s the mixing with the moderate hoppiness) and while not completely precise it kinda smells like oranges that came from a trash dumpster. If I smelled this orange character I wouldn't eat the fruit and I just don't think the burnt+orange character goes well together at all.

T: Again, the intention to bring orange and black together (The Giants colors and this beer celebrates them winning the 2011 World Series) doesn't make sense on a taste level. The orange character actually stands up against the substantial burnt/roasted character, but to get it up to those levels the orange flavor isn't very natural. Its slightly like orange pith (not too bad), but also like orange concentrate (bad). Part of it is that its too sweet overall. After that initial collision and both of those flavors somehow subside, and a tinkle of citrus hops show through but then the fake orange comes back with an awful vengeance to finish out the sip over a thin veil of clean roastiness that remains quite sweet. This is perhaps the worst orange quality, fake almost to the point of plastic. I don’t think its because 'fake' oranges were used per se, its more that to get the intense, clear orange intensity they wanted the flavors come off as 'concentrate' in a BAD way.

Notes: Go Giants, but let's not be so literal in the orange/black interpretation next time. Highly unique, but please don't copy it.

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Pours a dark brown to black with a nice tan head. No lacing. Looks good.
S: nice blend of roasted malts and orange zest. Like one one of: those holiday chocolate covered oranges.
T: the orange flavor is taking over the malts. A bit too strong for me. Sweet and citrusy.
M: medium bodied and smooth. Easy drinking, clean but tasty finish.
O: not bad at all. Little too much orange for me, but smooth and somewhat tasty.

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

I got this at Hi-time, probably the first place around here first to get it.

This taste very much like a porter, with malty sweetness followed up some mellow hoppy taste. I could see this could either be a porter or a black IPA. There's also a faint kumquat taste, it's subtle but definitely noticeable.

Overall it's an interesting blend of flavors encompassed in a brew.

4.09/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Orange & Black Congrats Ale! from Moylan's Brewery