Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hurricane Kitty Pale Ale | BrickHouse Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by LilBeerDoctor on 12-23-2008

Reviews by washburnkid:
3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Amber hues with little head and little lacing. Aromas are floral and pungent. Flavors capture the hop profile nicely. Floral and bitter. Carbonation is moderate and it complements the florals. Light body helps with the drink ability. The finish is bitter. Little bit of smokiness in the flavor with warmth. This beer is better than any of the others I've had here, but I'm still wanting balance!

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Nice deep clear copper with a thin head.

Hoppy aroma..Definitely smells like an IPA!

Flavor is where this beer won me over..Citrus and resiny hops supported by a solid malt chassis. Full flavored and delicious! Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

I'd be a steady buyer if I could find this locally..Brickhouse is a 45 minute drive for me.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a juicy citrus hop and a light graininess.

The taste was upfront citrusy hops with undertones of pine. There was a secondary caramel malt detected. However, this was certainly a hop driven ale. Only complaint was that it was a bit disjointed.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a very hoppy IPA. Very nice really.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Reviewed on 8/9/08. On tap at the brewpub. Pours a dark orange with a small white head. Aroma of light citrus and bitter hops. Flavor is dominated by the bitter hops with no real malt backbone. Definitely an IPA, not an APA. But in any case, not one I'll be revisiting, like, ever.
5/4/4/2/9 (2.4/5)

Rerate 1/31/09: I guess I'll have to eat my words. Went back to BrickHouse and tried this again. I don't know why it was so different, but it was. Pours a cloudy orange with a thick white head. Aroma of floral and citrus hops. Flavor of a bitter hoppy finish with tropical fruits in the body. Nicely hopped. Palate is slightly harsh, but it's easy drinking nonetheless. I really enjoyed this one!
8/4/7/4/15 (3.8/5)