Tripel Horse | River Horse Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Tripel HorseTripel Horse

River Horse Brewing Co.
New Jersey, United States
riverhorse.com

Style: Tripel

Our take on a Belgian Style Tripel Ale, brewed with spices and fermented with a Trappist yeast strain which lends hints of vanilla and creates a variety of complex flavors.

Added by jerseyemt on 05-21-2003

1.18/5  rDev -67.9%

On opening... it looked good, had a nice head.

And then, I had a sip. This is bar none the worst Belgian style beer that I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

Overall Taste: Budweiser mixed with molasses
Aftertaste: yard clippings
Aroma: smelled like ham

This stuff is crap with a capital C. I want the $17.00 that I spent on the six pack back.

2.04/5  rDev -44.6%

A-Pours a hazy orange/light amber color with a one finger white head that quickly disspates.

S-I'm getting bubblegum, vanilla, and some nutmeg or allspice with a bit of apple, and some plum. Pretty interesting aromas; I'm drooling...

T-Wow, not following the nose at all. First thing I taste is what solvents/rubbing alcohol smell like with some spicy characteristics(nutmeg/allspice) with vanilla and then back to that solvent/rubbing alcohol taste. Pretty rough.

M-The mouth feel is pretty thin with lots of carbonation and a dry and warming alcohol finish in the back of the mouth and throat.

D-Not good at all, the alcohol is way too present and I'm pretty sure that's what is ruining this beer for me. I can't get by the alcohol, it totally overwhelms the rest of the flavors in this beer. Things seemed so promising based on the nose.

2.16/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Maybe it was just that the 6-pack wasn't treated well before I bought it, but the fact that there was a taste that was not unlike bile turned me off to this beer and the brewery.

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Did not like at all. Looked nice but the rest I didn't like.

Edit. Re review. Heavy clove, spice. Hazy filthy yellow body. Head is gone. Taste is boozy and spicy. It's actually ok

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

An OK beer. The 10% abv is hidden pretty well. Probably wouldn't try again. nb

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

D+ (2.35) / AVOID

2.36/5  rDev -35.9%

Appearance: A hazy amber body with three fingers of white foam. This stuff is intensely carbonated - a torrent of rising bubbles keeps the head going for what seems like forever.

Smell: Spicy and sweet with an almost over the top clove aroma and a bit of soap beneath that.

Taste/mouthfeel: Good God, this is cloyingly sweet. Sugary as hell with an almost excessive spiciness. Clove, nutmeg and coriander with a refined white sugar sweetness is how I'd describe this. Light bodied, slightly overcarbonated and horribly sweet. If you enjoy eating sugar packets you may enjoy this. Personally, I think I'll grab something drier.

2.36/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light amber color with a spumeous head that is rock solid and leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

Aromas are extremely phenolic and yeast forward highlighted by bananas, cloves, a touch of lemon and a solvent alcohol element.

The taste follow the nose with banana and clove flavors that are joined, mid palate, by a prickly harshness; the finish is quite alcoholic, but contains some tropical fruit elements in addition to the solvents.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is estery with lots of warming alcohol.

Overall this is just a subpar example of a Belgian style ale. Too boozy and phenolic and just a pass for me going forward.

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Cloudy gold with 1 finger of white head that dissipates quickly. Light carbonation.

Nose
Caramel, banana, booze, and clove.

Taste
Huge clove spiciness, banana bread, and booze. Some caramel notes in there.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, oily, warming, spicy, and somewhat cloying.

Overall
I need a Westmalle to redeem myself.

2.51/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured into my Hennepin goblet.

There is a decent 2 inches of head that initially sits atop a strange colored tripel. It is an amber, dark honey color. It is also crystal clear. This has already brought me to a tough choice: Do I rate this beer on what it tastes like, smells like, etc. or do I judge it on the standard of a typical Belgian Tripel? The head falls to a retentive chunky layer about an inch thick. I've made my decision to rate it against a true Belgian Tripel...
They have the nose about right. Sticky sweet and smooth. Mellow yeast and ripe fruit. C02 and bittering hops (saaz?) Cookie dough sweetness. On to the taste.

Doesn't really taste like a tripel at all. It is very coarse, one dimensional, and hot. Burnt candi sugar, artificial sweetener, more like a high octane red ale. They need to work on their hop and yeast integration to make this a round an balanced beer like a good tripel should be. It's too harsh for anything delicate to permeate from the beer. Where is the delicate bready malt, the sweet citrus, and the cloves? This is just a strong beer made with candi sugar.

Not so awesome.

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours lightly yellow, large doughy head, decent lacing.

Aroma is floral malt, very wet and fruity.

The flavor is good, floral malt, some apple, banana. However there is a strong astringent bite during the finish, something I've encountered with American tripels before. It really kills the brew and harms the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is pretty average, it's a little bit too carbonated, but medium bodied and with a good consistency. Astringent bite sucks.

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

Crystal clear amber in color with a thin, sizzling white head that forms a thin ring and minimal lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty for a Trippel, with notes of fruit, bubblegum, and a subtle corn note. Doesn't really smell like a Tripel.

The flavor is actually quite harsh and abrasive. It's dominated by grainy malt and corn notes with a bit of dry fruit and citrus. It's not sweet like the nose, rather peppery and harsh with alcoholic heat. It bears an unpleasant hop finish that is far too bitter for this style.

Body is quite big and grainy, not delicate or effervescent like a good Belgian ale. I could not finish the 12 oz bottle.

I was expecting more based on the other reviews.

2.72/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Serving-bottle

Citrusy orange/tangerine taste and smell and dry like a cheap champagne.

More along the lines of a Lager than a Belgium. A Tripel seriously?

"Brewed with spices" but hardly tastes like it ~ hardly worth explaining let alone trying or even finishing

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

It wasn't bad and yet it didn't meet my expectations. I drank it but can say I won't get it again.

2.76/5  rDev -25%

Thought it was good but I'm just not a Belgian fan.

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Original score and review from 2007

a: Clear golden color with a medium sized white head. A pretty lively beer, lots of ascending bubbles.

s: Alcoholic floral perfume up front. Some cinnamon, artificial sweetner and cloves.

t: This beer just tastes artificial. Sour cloves, floral perfume, and artificial sweetner. Very unpleasant.

m: Fizzy and a bit thin.

d: I didn't finish it.

Revisited 11/2014

Someone suggested years ago that I revisit this one and I finally did. I upped the scores a bit but this still isn't all that good. I was able to discern some soft fruit notes but this is just way too sweet. The finish was an unpleasant medicinal artificial sweetener with hints of cloves. The mouthfeel seems to have improved, this bottle was soft and full bodied.

Tripel Horse from River Horse Brewing Co.