River Horse Lager | River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse LagerRiver Horse Lager
3.27/5
Okay
River Horse LagerRiver Horse Lager

River Horse Brewing Co.
New Jersey, United States
riverhorse.com

Style: American Pale Lager

A crisp, refreshing Lager. Bready notes and a subtle maltiness are balanced with just enough hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2002

View: Beers
2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

I picked this up as a part of a mixed 12 pack upon the recommendation of the local beer merchant. I will hesitate to take this man's advice in the future, well-intentioned though it was.

This beer advertises itself as an Irish Lager but fails to elaborate on how this hitherto-unheard-of style is achieved.

The pour is hazy and orange-copper with minimal head.

The aroma is faint at first. It starts off not too offensive but there is a slight tartness that increases with progressive sips. At first the aroma simply does not contribute to the experience, but eventually I would say it becomes a negative.

As far as taste goes, I failed to detect any distinct qualities that would have shed light on its Irish heritage. The tartness from the nose is carried over into the palate, but it's more of an aftertaste issue, as there is a slight maltiness in the fore. There seems to be enough hops to counteract any cloyingness, but I would not say hops are a feature of this beer in any sense.

I would say that the mouthfeel is negatively impacted by the tartness, which begins to take up residency at the rear sides of the toungue.

I see no reason to drink more than one of these beers in a sitting. This is not a horrible beer, and it does not seem to be overly beset with major flaws, but with so many quality beers available today I would not recommend this brew.

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

Paid $1.49 for a bottle. A very lazy slightly almond/amber brown with a hint of orange. The most noticeable smell is like under converted malt. The taste is similar - like i'm drinking right out of the mash tun. Low carbonation and mouthfeel is quite wimpy and weak.

4.56/5  rDev +39.4%

Presentation - I am one of the few people who poured this in a pilsener glass, which is the appropriate glassware for an EPL.

Appearance - Poured a translucent gold color with rich white head and awesome lacing.

Smell - Smells a bit doughy, dare I say, almost reminiscent of the fried oreos you get on the boardwalk

Taste - Doughy, bready, sweet, a hint of vanilla, with some citric hops balancing it out

Mouthfeel - Medium to light and lots of carbonation

Drinkability - I could drink these all day

Overall - This could be the state beer of NJ; could be the SABL of New Jersey and a shore fixture.

3.4/5  rDev +4%

A - Hazy yellow body is a few shades darker than an American Light Lager and much cloudier. Head was about 1 finger off white and foamy, not lasting long.

S - Mostly malt, somewhat fruity and a bit sweet. Not too interesting but I don't think it's supposed to be.

T - Starts off with a moderate malt profile that is sweet and somewhat tangy, once that drops out the light grassy hops come through a bit and then it ends bready.

M/D - Somewhat silky body with a full mouthfeel, not shocking for an unfiltered American brew. Flavor lingers at the end of each sip. Easy to drink, went well with Thanksgiving dinner but not something I would look for as a daily drinker.

4.2/5  rDev +28.4%

This brew poured into a pint glass a lovely hazy deep yellow. For some reason I could'nt help but think Hefeweizen minus the head. It barely had a head which clung to the glass in tiny gobs.
This Lager smells like crisp pale biscuity malts, fresh grass, and a slight herbal hop hint.
The taste is very bready malts with a slight sweetness. There was also fruity(apple and pear) hint in the finish. A bit of a hoppy biterness in the finish caps things off pretty good. Definetly a clean crisp quality Lager. The beer is medium and a lot fuller than I expected it to be.

3.12/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Dull orange/copper with no head and no lacing. Is this apple juice? Because it sure as hell looks like it.

S: Mild floral accents and some light malt.

T: Surprisingly sweet for a lager. No real discernible characteristics of a euro pale lager, just a basic lager. Though, not to be perceived as a macro. Certainly better than that.

M: Crisp and well carbonated. Probably the best aspect of this brew. Lively on the tongue, but somewhat watered down.

D: Decent drinkability, but not exactly a brew that will wow you. I'd like to think it's probably better for a beer to bore you, than for a beer to make you want to drain pour it. That's where this one resides; it's just plain.

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a cloudy yellowish orange hue. Very little head, a medium to small amount of lacing.

Smells of mild citrus, lots of biscuity malt though and any particularly specific notes are not very present. Doesn't advertise too much.

Initial taste is malt followed by a short burst of sweet fruit. Coliander, a hint of apple. Has a really spicy character to it, some mossy hops ad to it but there's a hint of pepper there as well that really makes this one more enjoyable than ratings on here would indicate.

Mouthfeel is pretty average... A little bit thin with way too much carbonation. Not a good feel but it is easy to drink due to the lack of body.

All in all, the rating on BA is a little bit harsh in my opinion. This is one worth trying but not a world-beater by any means.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Appearance: Pours a lighter gold color with decent head retention.
Smell: Light malty aroma, mild floral hop presence.
Taste: Lighter malt presence, bready in nature, with a small degree of balancing hops. I can also detect some honey. Finish is clean.
Mouthfeel: On par for a euro pale lager, IMO. Smooth and clean.
Drinkability: Quite drinkable. Light and well-balanced.

Overall- nicely done lighter lager. Pleasant brew here.

4.05/5  rDev +23.9%

I bought a six pack of this and poured it before I read the bottle and saw it was an Irish lager style. I was not overly impressed with the look or smell; though they weren't bad.

The. first impression of taste really impressed me. There was just the right amount of carbonation. There was a really nice refreshingly slick feel. There was also some actual taste in this Irish Lager. I'm sorry to say this but I just had some Smithwicks the other day and I prefer this beer(I know thats an Irish red Ale, I just wanted the comparison of Irish products/style lines). Lots of zesty grains and malt flavor; some nice balance. This would go really well with a burger or hot dog with spicy mustard.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

Why did I not read a review of this product before buying??? (Well, I was away from a computer...)

Dying white head on a hazy golden beer.

Very modest brew overall. Sweet in nature with no hop note. Thin in mouthfeel, apparently for the Yeungling lovers. Aroma is fluffy sweet-approaches Bavik and Belgian candy pils. Ok, the hops do appear really late in the sample. But no complexity at all.

Watery, touch o' honey mouthfeel.

Just say no.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours out a hazy gold yellow with minmal head.Smells grainy smells like a light beer.Has a sweet taste with minimal to no hop flavor.Mouthfeel thin typical adjunct nothing special. Drinkability is ok, theres better lagers out there,nothing special. probably wouldnt go out of my way to buy again.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +7%

12 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

Sometimes, I think I should have been born British – I absolutely love the feel of a good, solid pint glass in my hand. I love pouring a great beer into it. I love its heft, its shape, the way a beer tastes in it – it’s a truly wondrous thing. And now, it’s time to taste and review a beer…

A: Good color, not outstanding, but good. It’s a reasonable mix of gold and orange, produces a 2 cm wheat-colored head with a reasonable pour. The head doesn’t even last a minute before dissolving, leaving almost nothing on the sides.

S: Okay – I’m picking up hops, a bit of lemon, a little grassiness – I’m trying to catch something from the malt side, but am experiencing no joy. It’s making me wonder what I’m in for during the tasting.

T: It’s an interesting taste – I’m getting hops, grass, orange, lemon, and a very subdued sweetness from the malt. Nothing is overpowering, everything plays well together. I’d have expected a watery taste to it, but not really. I have to give it props.

M: Good, I could be talked into really good, but not quite very good. It’s light-bodied, but it’s well-carbonated, and it goes well over the palate, leaving a light hop finish. It’s even slightly chewy, if that makes sense.

O: It’s a good beer, makes for a good session beer. I could see enjoying a few of these bad boys, hanging out with my beer geek buddies while grilling meat. It’s perfect with a nice salty piece of food. Cheers.

2.33/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a hazy gold with little foam. A small ring lingers around part of the glass.
Cannot quite put my finger on what I smell, maybe a bit of yeast, not much aroma.
Very plain, watery taste and feel. A brief second of carbonation or maybe a stray handful of hops got in.
This beer is just bland. Not in a Budweiser way for sure but the lable led me to expect something more.

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.41/5  rDev +4.3%

Summer Variety: Jersey Style. Should be fun.

A: This one pours a slightly hazy light gold with a small bit of head that quickly forms a ring and laces down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet malts, flaked oats, and some light grain.
T: Sweet malts are dominant here as well as a slight earthy hop note.
M&D: It's well carbonated with a light mouthfeel and lends itself very well to superb drinkability. Definitely a worthy summer beer.

River Horse Lager from River Horse Brewing Co.