River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout | River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Oatmeal Milk StoutRiver Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout

River Horse Brewing Co.
New Jersey, United States
riverhorse.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

A velvety smooth Stout brewed with oats and milk sugar that create a creamy finish over a dark malt base.

Added by DavidSeanNJ on 11-09-2008

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another from my local, in-person trader, tone77! Keep 'em coming!

From the bottle: "When you were a little kid, what was better than oatmeal cookies and milk? Well, that's why we made this one for the "big" kids. Oatmeal Milk Stout. All of the fun of being a kid, none of the homework."

My pour may have been a bit heavy-handed, but I had read nothing in previous reviews to warn me of the massive head that it was capable of producing. I was faced with two fingers of dense, deep-tan head that resembled a chocolate milkshake before I backed off. This was going to be a Carly Simon beer - anticipation, it's making me wait. Once it finally dropped to a manageable level, leaving some decent lacing in its wake, I was ready. Color was a deep, dark cola-brown that allowed zero light penetration. Nose was quite chocolaty, but with a hint of smoke, more towards dark chocolate than milk chocolate. On that note, let us address their untruth in advertising - the "milk" is derived from their use of lactose sugar in the brewing process and the oatmeal is used to cut some of the "burnt" flavor that early versions took from the extremely roasted malts, not to add the flavor of cookies. Mouthfeel was big, thick and silky and the taste was more like sweet chocolate than the nose had led me to expect, so apparently their use of oatmeal worked. Finish was more towards milk chocolate and it was certainly sweet, so I have to give it to them in terms of style. I just wish that their label was more direct and less misleading.

4.64/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Good tasting milk stout; dark, no light gets through the glass of this tasty beer; lighter and a bit sweeter than other milk stouts; lower abv.... Just a good smooth stout. Good grade. I'd have another one of these any day. I will give this a better rating than left Hans's version; good head and lacing too.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Very dark black. Medium head that was dark tan color.

S - Some smokey aroma, but not overly strong.

T - Distinctive coffee and smokey tastes. Pronounced malty flavor, but the coffee really stands out. Sweet and not overly bitter.

M - Medium body for a stout. Very smooth.

O - Very good oatmeal stout. I like the combination of coffee, malt tastes, and the sweetness. The ABV is not high, so I drank a couple glasses. I will buy this again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Like all River Horse there's common horse barn earthiness to the nose, and they tend to be better warmer than colder.

I am a fan of stouts. This stout is a bit sweet and very inky/ earthy. Still a nice way to finish the evening, and I'd enjoy it again as a singleton. complex. but I'd prefer it mixed as a black & tan.

NOTE - I have found this stout makes a great "black and tan" when poured over a pale or IPA.

A- dark black roast body with a modest tan large head, fades fast, with no lacing. OK looking.

S- Barnyard, Horse stalls, wet roasted coffee, malty and yes! chocolate, spring earth, flowers, almost syrupy, earthy. Gotta let this warm! Mostly spring earth. smell matches appearance

T- approachable, nice first impression, roasted java dominant, earthy hop finish.
Milky, chocolate, a bit over done. A bit too sweet for me after.

M- medium body, medium dry finish, a little warming. Needs some cheese or cookies to go with it. Too much burnt earth to invite another.

O- a decent oatmeal stout, good stink, sweetness, & earthiness, not overwhelming coffee /milkiness, pleasantly surprised at its approachability, but too cloying for two in a row.

Drink Warm!

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout from River Horse Brewing Co.