River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout | River Horse Brewing Co.

River Horse Oatmeal Milk StoutRiver Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout
3.93/5
Very Good
River Horse Oatmeal Milk StoutRiver Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout

River Horse Brewing Co.
New Jersey, United States
riverhorse.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

A velvety smooth Stout brewed with oats and milk sugar that create a creamy finish over a dark malt base.

Added by DavidSeanNJ on 11-09-2008

View: Beers

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

To quote the bottle: "When you were a little kid, what was better than oatmeal cookies and milk? Well, that's why we made this one for the "big" kids. Oatmeal Milk Stout. All of the fun of being a kid, none of the homework."

These days, I eat my oatmeal cookies with coffee. I'm mostly not into replicating tastes from my childhood, as my palate has evolved. (Interestingly enough, my favorite animal since childhood is hippopotamus, or river horse, which makes me really want to like this brewery.) That being said, I enjoyed this beer. Not too sweet; a little nutty. I didn't get oatmeal cookies, though. Maybe if there were brown sugar notes...

One of the more impressive offerings from River Horse.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another from my local, in-person trader, tone77! Keep 'em coming!

From the bottle: "When you were a little kid, what was better than oatmeal cookies and milk? Well, that's why we made this one for the "big" kids. Oatmeal Milk Stout. All of the fun of being a kid, none of the homework."

My pour may have been a bit heavy-handed, but I had read nothing in previous reviews to warn me of the massive head that it was capable of producing. I was faced with two fingers of dense, deep-tan head that resembled a chocolate milkshake before I backed off. This was going to be a Carly Simon beer - anticipation, it's making me wait. Once it finally dropped to a manageable level, leaving some decent lacing in its wake, I was ready. Color was a deep, dark cola-brown that allowed zero light penetration. Nose was quite chocolaty, but with a hint of smoke, more towards dark chocolate than milk chocolate. On that note, let us address their untruth in advertising - the "milk" is derived from their use of lactose sugar in the brewing process and the oatmeal is used to cut some of the "burnt" flavor that early versions took from the extremely roasted malts, not to add the flavor of cookies. Mouthfeel was big, thick and silky and the taste was more like sweet chocolate than the nose had led me to expect, so apparently their use of oatmeal worked. Finish was more towards milk chocolate and it was certainly sweet, so I have to give it to them in terms of style. I just wish that their label was more direct and less misleading.

4.64/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Good tasting milk stout; dark, no light gets through the glass of this tasty beer; lighter and a bit sweeter than other milk stouts; lower abv.... Just a good smooth stout. Good grade. I'd have another one of these any day. I will give this a better rating than left Hans's version; good head and lacing too.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout from River Horse Brewing Co.