Iron Range Amber Lager | James Page Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Iron Range Amber LagerIron Range Amber Lager

James Page Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
jpbrewery.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

I poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A: It poured a clear amber body with a moderate one finger off-white white head that receded fast.

S: It had a smooth and refreshing odor of lightly toasted malts with hints of nuts, smoke and apples.

T: It had a sweet and smoky front with hints of nuts and apples and pears. It hid the alcohol well.

M: It was light bodied with plenty of carbonation and a clean finish.

D: It is a good session beer with a low ABV, light body and balanced and non-obtrusive flavors.

3.05/5  rDev -8.7%

I've had this in cans, bottles, and on tap. Nice orange color, light off white head. Always seems a fuzz low on the carbonation. It has a slight sweetness where the maltiness should be. Could use more hop bitterness to balance the malt and whatever that sweetness is. I like ambers to be more hoppy in flavor also. Drinkable, you can knock back quite a few, a little filling from that sweetness.
Overall just an average Amber.

a: pours a nice copper orage color with about a qaurter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a slight hint of lacing around the edge of the glass
s: caramely malts, biscuity with nice piny floral hops
t: biscuity caramely flavor nice piny hop bitterness
m: medium to light bodied beer with a little carbonation

overall, i dont know if ill buy this again but its not too bad

Bottle from Park Lane Liquor in Lancaster, CA, bottle states it is from Minneapolis, MN. The beer pours a glowing orange-amber color with a minimal off-white head that bubbles away to nothing immediately. Lacing is virtually non-existent. Tart fruit and light malt aroma. Medium-bodied with a tart fruit and pungent malt flavor that makes me wonder if this beer predates the Stevens Point ownership. Very little hops are present. The finish is fruity cough medicine. Pass.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Bought this as a single at Market Place in Hayward, WI on recent trip. Poured a hazy amber into a snifter. Nice 1.5 finger white head with decent retention. Almost no lacing.

Smells primarily of sweet malts. Taste the same. Mostly light malts with maybe a trace of hops in the aftertaste. No detectable alcohol. ABV not listed, but would be surprised if it was greater than 5.0%.

Thick chewy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Unbalanced maltiness doesn't make me want to drink more.

Kind of a boring one dimensional beer. Nothing that would make me want to try it again.

3.47/5  rDev +3.9%

Presentation was in a 12oz bottle and produced a large head with an amber almost ruby in color. There was a huge sweet malty aroma that staied there through the inital taste with a strong yeasty bready flavor. there wasnt too much hop flavor. For my oppinion there was way too much carbonation for the style. it has the amout of carbonation you would see in a secondary fermention, the was no indication of that, or in a beer like a belgan blonde. The over high carbnation distracted from the over all flavor.

Served out of a can on a Northwest Airlines flight. Pours a brownish/orange with a big head and good lacing. Muted nose with an almost metallic hint to it. Taste is sweet and smooth with just barely a slight bitter end. Flavor doesn’t stay too long, but it doesn’t drop off immediately either. Towards the end you seem to notice some flaws in it’s degree of smoothness which brings down the drinkability.

Got as part of a mixed 12 pack.

Poured into my pint glass to produce a loose 3/4" head of off white foam that quickly disappeared leaving no lace behind. The beer was a orange/red color.

The aroma was hardly there. I could barely pack up a light malty character and little else.

The taste was rather light too. Not much going on that would separate this from a typical macro lager... perhaps just a touch more flavor... just malt with some caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Average.... right down the line.... too thin for my taste.... not rich in any way.

Drinkability: Safe... Nothing objectionable. Just average.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

Tart odor, quickly receding head atop an actively carbonated drink wtih a pretty, rich amber/orange hue. Taste is comprised of a nicely balanced bitter edge on a sweet malt subtly spiced with black pepper and clove. Rich flavor, substantial mouthfeel. All in all a fine example of a style that is not inherently all that adventurous.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz Bottle
Herman's Package Store

James Page Amber Lager pours a beautiful crystal clear amber leaning toward orange. A one finger eggshell off-white head formed on the pour a fell down to a skimming. Leaves drink lines that quickly slide back into the body. Good looking brew.

The aroma is of 100% malt. Big on the Munich nuttiness malt with a pleasant lightly toasted grain quality in there to mix things up slightly. There are some fruity tones as it warms I can't really put my finger on. Pretty straightforward but good.

This beer actually drinks good. The nutty chewy Munich malt comes through nicely on the palate. The fruitiness comes along just before the swallow. Surprisingly good.

Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. Does get a little thin on the backend but doesn't detract much from the overall mouthfeel. Slightly gritty finish.

This is a good sessionable brew I can see myself buying again. I really don't drink many Vienna lagers but this is a good one.

This is a surprisingly good Vienna Lager. Truthfully I didn't expect a whole lot from this brew but it's a pleasant surprise. I don't run into this style too often but this is a good example.

3.07/5  rDev -8.1%

I used to drink alot of this beer, I always enjoyed it. But it isn't as good as I remember it. I am not sure if that has something to do with Point brewing it now or the fact that my tastes have evolved. Not much head retention here without much lacing. Aroma is pretty much non-exsistant. Flavor is ok quite malty with a touch of a genaric hop flavor. This beer is still an extremely drinkable session beer, but it isn't one that I am going to reach for unless the selection is weak.

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Looks good, but it's all downhill from there. Pours to a nice coppery, golden amber color. Plenty clear with a good carbonation supporting a thick white head. Decent retention, and lacing could stand to be a little better.

The smell is alright, if not a bit plain. Mostly pale malt with only a slight hint of specialty malt providing a light caramel sweetness and some biscuity aroma. Quite lightly hopped. Just a bit of green apple and some vegetal aromas.

The taste is the weakest link. Sweet up front with a fairly strong green apple off-flavor. Slight burnt biscuit and caramel flavor, even nutty. Vegetal aftertaste with a tiny bit of herbal hops. Maybe DMS is the culprit here.

The mouthfeel is fairly dry and crisp. The body is light. None too drinkable, though. I'm glad I only got a single.

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%

I don't know if you all have noticed but the midwest makes the best American Ambers out there. Appearance was pretty good but the head faded quite quickly.
Smell and taste are the closest to perfect I have had for this style to date, a decent amount of malt, but also some unknown sweetness- maybe grape.
Mouthfeel is a bit light but good.
Drinkability is well- ask my 12 pack.

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a crystal clear, light-amber brown color. Medium sized white head, with waves of lacing.

Aroma contains a bit of caramel and pine nut. Normally I'd say the aroma was way below average, but compared to the wheat beer I just had by this brewer, I'd say this is almost pleasant.

Flavor is similar to the aroma. There is a little more hops, and a little more bitterness, and just a hint of caramel and nut flavors to make this stand out a little bit more from the James Page Brewing Sample Box it came from.

Mouthful is light and lends towards a decent drinkability.

Drinkability is ok. I like the nuttiness, but as with most ambers, I'm not impressed enough to seek this out.

3.66/5  rDev +9.6%

James Page was our "neighborhood" brewery when I lived in Northeast Mpls. Financial misadventures ensued, resulting in the draught versions still being brewed in NE while the bottled versions (and eventual canned versions) were farmed out hither and yon. Not the same products at all anymore. Eventually the brands were bought by Stevens Point - a good home for them.

I like this beer. Others have reviewed it as being flat and weak. But I think it's one of the better examples I've had of an American Amber. Just the right balance of hop and sweet malt. Good mouthfeel, very sessionable. It compares well to Schell Firebrick, both of which are constantly available in my fridge.

A very good go-to beer.

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

In a can, on a plane, served in a plastic "glass" but wait, with the second can I had a real glass...we up graded to first class with ff miles.
By far the best canned lager I've had.
Clear medium amber with a good head with moderate retention and a nice veil. Decent malt nose, little if and hops detected. The initial taste was a sweetish malt flavor, to my liking then it developed into a balance, quite pleasing in my opinion. Medium body with the right amount of carbonation. I wish I could get this beer in NH. I've been looking for a canned beer I enjoy for carrying during various outdoor type activities, Iron Range would fit the bill.
As a side bar, the flight attendant gave me 3 cans as I got off the plane for our sampling group to savor.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a can. On a plane, in a plastic cup is how I enjoyed this little brew. no freshness dating to be seen. Poured clear light amber, sporting a decent looking off white head. Even left some respectable looking lacing. Just a hit of malt in the nasel aroma department. Middle of theorad amber, minor maple/malt notes. Can declares "Hand crafted, quality brewed" Best I can say is "Decent drinking, better then M.B & C."

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a clear amber with decent beginning head, ok lacing, decent. Aroma is light, slightly fruity and sweet caramel malts, meh. Taste is a little funky, slight sweet caramel malts, a bit grainy, hops are weak and hardly there, Mouth is decent enough, carbonation decent. All in all, weak, decent and ok are words used too often here. Just, meh.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Coppery orange with bright tangerine edges and a creamy cap that is somewhere between pale orange, pale gold and beige in color. I'd like to see some semblance of red in a red lager, but there's none to be found here. Interestingly, the brewery says that this is a red lager, but has used Amber Lager in the name (Same style? Probably). The head is nicely persistent, so the lace assessment will have to wait. I don't see a whole lot wrong with the appearance; it's more than passable.

The nose is way too weak to be considered above average. I get a whiff of barely toasted caramel malt coupled with a little Munich malt earthy nuttiness, along with a hint of fruit that I would attribute to an ale yeast... except that this is a lager. Underwhelming.

Actually, this is pretty good beer for what it is. Munich malt makes much more of a statement on the palate and hogs the lion's share of the flavor profile (how's that for a mixed animal metaphor?). The beer is lightly malty sweet with just enough hop flavor and hop bitterness to make a stab at balance.

The more I drink Iron Range Amber Lager, the more I like it. It doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but it's definitely a good version of the style and suits the purpose for which it was brewed. It's a solid, flavorful lager that would match up well with a wide range of picnic-type foods. If there was any justice in the world, IRAL, rather than BMC, would be the easy drinking beer of choice up there in Badgerland.

I have no problem at all with the mouthfeel. It's lagery light with a wonderful smoothness and a laid back amount of carbonation that would make sessioning a pleasure. It even manages to hold together reasonably well as it sits.

The only other James Page Brewing Company beer that I've had was Voyageur Extra Pale Ale and I was pretty lukewarm about it. It may be nothing more than the circumstances surrounding the consumption of each, but Iron Range strikes me as a better beer. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for more from this brewery whenever I next take a trip up Madison way.

3.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours from the bottle a nice reddish color. The smell is of roasted grains with a slightly sweet smell detected also. Has very little
head that dissappers rapidley to nothing. Not much carbonation either. Mouth-feel is a little slick and it goes down pretty good with a very slightly dry finish. Taste is good for this style and I would recommend giving this brew a try.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this brew on an airplane, after being upgraded to first class. It was the only semi-interesting beer selection available.
Poured from a can, this beer is a clear amber-bronze color with an average-white head. The aroma is somewhat enticing…a little caramel malt, a little grain, some lightly toasted malts. There’s very little hops in the aroma. The taste is similar, this is a very malt-centric beer. The malt flavor, though, is very light. Slight, extremely slight, hop bitter in the finish. Moderate carbonation, and a moderate but solidly appropriate mouthfeel. The brew does produce a minor slickness on the tongue. It’s enjoyable and fairly flavorful. It’s definitely more than I expected.

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Part of my James Page sampler pack. Label on the bottle is a western railroad scene with a guy holding a pick axe wearing a red bandana…unclear if he works there or is planning on robbing the train.

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A—clear orange amber color with off white 1 inch fluffy head, leaves medium lacing on the glass

S—spicy hops and sweet malts. Peppery

T—perfect balance between the hops and malts, neither is dominate, sweet and mild, is going down way too smooth and fast

M—smooth and mellow, but a bit watery, not much carbonation…a little bit flat.

D—I like it. Smooth and very drinkable. It reminds me a of a slightly flat Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I expect this would be good with spicy foods.

2.54/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle. Pours out a dark amber color with a small head. Stale corn and cooked veggie aroma. A little bit of caramel flavor, but mainly this beer has the same cooked veggie flavor as in the aroma. Perhaps a bit of fruitiness. No hop flavor. Mouthfeel is medium. Poor drinkability. I really enjoyed their pale ale, so this beer was a real disappointment. Tastes like macro crap.

2.71/5  rDev -18.9%

Another perfectly amber brew, matching the EPA nearly exactly in color. The head is a fleeting yellowed snow.
The nose is odd more than any thing. It has that rubbery, corn-fed sweetness of a macro, along with a wisp of grain and caramel. Hopping is not noted, scentwise.
From the offset, this is maple-syrup waffles, caramel malt, and prune juice. It dries quite a bit in the middle, with a salted nacho impression (one that leads yet again to macro comparisions). It ends with a few, stray residual sugar that hint at sweet berries, and no associated hop traits.
The structure in generally medium, but the carbonation is uppity and in your grill. It is drinkable, especially as the glass goes along, but this seems much more like an "MGD Dark" than a Vienna Lager.

For a second, after just retrying Page's Voyaguer EPA, I thought the move brought some recipe tweaking. Nope. This is as pesdestrian as ever, and maybe even worse than I remember.

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

on tap at Acadia Cafe...

Clear coppery/amber color, with no head at all.

Aroma, sweet, amlty, light graininess, minimal hops.

Grainy on the palate, as well, but overall clean and smooth. Light bodied, but not thin, flavor, and it's not a bad one, remains sip after sip, gulp after gulp. Not bad at all.
A tasty little lager, when you're not in the mood for anything more challenging.
Good crossover brew, for the less adventurous.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast