JP's Yabba Dhaba Chai Tea Porter | James Page Brewing Company

jpbrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Added by emerge077 on 07-28-2013

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.58/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I have been waiting to add this beer to The CANQuest (tm) for a while & lo & behold, here on New Beer Sunday (Week 602), the time has come! Did tone77 bring it for me? Did I get one for him? The answer may never be known, but watch and see where this leads.

From the CAN: "Discover ... [JP's ...]; "Adventurous brews with a twist"; "CANs [-] Infinitely recyclable".

The Crack! was excitingly loud & so I celebrated with an inverted Glug. This resulted in a brief finger of foamy, fizzy, light-tan head that quickly reverted to mere wisps. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity and ruby highlights. Nose was very spicy with notes of black pepper, vanilla, black tea, cinnamon, frothy steamed milk & allspice! It stood at the edge of pumpkin spice, but did not fall into that trap. Mouthfeel was on the thin side for a Porter, but not precisely thin. That is to say, it was not watery, but I like some body to my Porters & this was not that. Comprende, amigos? The taste was ... well, we are segueing into Pumpkin Beer Season & this had many of the same flavors. That said, the tea gave it a black powder/gunpowder bite that was CANpletely its own. As a former gunner & member of the SDBG, one afternoon in the mount, bored out of our minds and curious as hell, we broke out some gunpowder and both snorted it and put it on our tongues! Jesus! It burned and knocked us all on our asses, but once the initial rush passed, it was like we had snorted coke! We did a Field Day on the interior of the mount & by the time that we secured from GQ, it sparkled! I have never done it since, nor am I really supposed to talk about it, but a quarter-century later, I think that we will be okay. This reminded me a lot of that afternoon. The finish was semi-dry, believe it or not. Yes, there was a good deal of spiciness, which should have equaled bone-dry, but vanilla and steamed milk flavors took some of its edge from it. Phew! What a great addition to New Beer Sunday (Week 602).

3.89/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a damn near black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of tea, spices, vanilla stands out. Taste is the same. Chai tea, considerable spices, vanilla. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a tasty and unique beer that is worth trying.

3.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.05/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: deep brown with a thin tan head
S: sweet with spices
T: some honey and spice with a slight roast
F: medium body, nice tongue coating
O: interesting.. Too sweet for more than a couple

3.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Points for uniqueness. A nice drinkable Porter with just a touch of spice (nutmeg? allspice?), which actually surprised me when I tasted it. I'd definitely drink it again, but not quite as bold as I like my porters and I'd probably prefer no spice.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.54/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.21/5  rDev -7.2%

Smells like what you'd expect from the name. The chai and roast of a porter don't combine too terribly well. It's relatively laid back in its potency, but it's not great either.

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from the can in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

(Insert Flintstones joke here.) (What? I'm feelin' a bit lazy at the moment...) Anyway, this stuff pours a slightly brackish sienna topped by a finger of khaki foam. The nose comprises nutmeg, mild cocoa powder, light maple syrup, a hint of vanilla bean, and a mixture of spices I can't quite pin down (though I assume they've something to do with chai tea). The taste brings in more of the same, a light vein of ginger sprouting up in the middle for the sake of it. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly smooth feel. Overall, not a bad porter at all, especially if you're into the whole sweet-'n'-spicy schtick. Definitely worth a look.

3.44/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A unique combination of chai tea (adding lactose, no doubt like a milk stout) and a nice porter - maybe the next big thing after an Arnold Palmer tea and lemonade. Lots of chai spices to the nose and a bit in its flavor. I love the low carbonation and deep rich black color. Different, and worth picking some up!

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.51/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer was very drinkable.
One of the best at a recent beer fest.
Great unique taste.

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

JP's Yabba Dhaba Chai Tea Porter from James Page Brewing Company