JP's Casper White Stout | James Page Brewing Company

3.5
18%

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

3.56/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

We BeerAdvocates often talk of our white whales/whalez/wales and I suppose that this CAN is one of my white buffaloes. Y'see, I first became aware of its existence when I scored a CAN of JP's A Capella Gluten-Free Beer for The CANQuest (tm) & realized that there were others in the series. I would still like to get the Hefeweizen & the Red Ale, but for now, I am happy to lay Casper to rest.

From the CAN: "Stand Apart"; "Adventurous brews with a twist"; "CANs [-] Infinitely recyclable".

I Crack!ed the CAN open & began a gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. I have to go to work later & I do not feel like cleaning up an inadvertent mess. The first thing of note was its color - instead of the usual inky blackness, it was actually solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity! Wow! I briefly had a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head, but it faded quickly, perhaps due to the increasing heat & humidity of the day. Nose had an odd sweetness, like vanilla. In a Stout?!? Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, just above watery, but not by much. The taste was really different - crackery malt, vanilla and milk chocolate. It really put me in mind of a white chocolate-covered pretzel. Chew on THAT for a second! Man, it was just SO different! Here in Lancaster (Co.), PA, we have a LOT of pretzel manufacturers & people have their favorite producer, but most people are not fans of any sort of chocolate on their pretzels. Not me! I like the balance struck by the baked pretzel dough, the saltiness of the finished pretzel & the sweetness of the chocolate. I generally disdain sweets, but the salty doughiness helps to offset the sugary chocolate. Now, imagine that flavor combination in a beer. It was just SO different! Finish was in that twilight zone between semi-sweet & semi-dry. It was interesting, but also fulfilling. One was enough for me.

3.82/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

While there isn't really much written on the can or packaging about the make of the beer, I don't think this is actually a stout. At first smell, you do get similar notes of sweetness that you would from a vanilla porter, but it has the same bite going down as a lager, and I'm fairly certain it's a flavored lager. Doesn' t deserve to have the name "stout" on it's can, which is the confusing reason i purchased this when I saw it. Overall drinkable, but definitely not a stout alternative.

4.8/5  rDev +37.1%

Soooo good. THIS is what a cream ale is all about. It literally tastes like a cream soda. Butterscotch, vanillia, amazingness. Must try it.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy, light yellow. Foamy, short, white head that fades fast.

Smells sweet vanilla, malt, hints roast.

Tastes like cream soda. Interesting flavor. Too sweet for a beer but still good. Vanilla and light roast mostly. Finish is semi sweet vanilla. No linger. Lighter body and higher fizzy carbonation.

4.42/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow! Very surprised I guess a stout doesn't have to be dark. Pours a hazy golden color with a nice thick white head. A nice sweet smell and an awesome yes white chocolate flavor. Good carbonation easy going down with no aftertaste. Will definitely buy

3.49/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

JP's Casper Nitro legitimately changed my life. From the moment I took my first sip, I have been seriously comtepmplating the meaning of life and whether or not the human existence should be dedicated to tasting the amazing flavor of JP's. Personally I believe that you have not lived until you have had a JP's Casper Nitro, and many others can corroborate this fact. Every night I cry for those who are less fortunate and do not have the means to drink JP's, and I pray that everyone may one day be able to drink JP's every day for the rest of their lives. This beer is that good, folks.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.67/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

"White Stout", what a load of B.S. Its a solid yellow beer, low carbonation, little head and not a lot of lacing. It smells like vanilla cookie dough. It tastes like a cream ale with some vanilla hints. The key flavor of a stout is roasted barley, not a trace of that here. Mouthfeel is rather full and cloying. Pretty much garbage.

3.44/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

3.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It tastes okay it's just a bit odd. The added flavors are most likely the culprit.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%