JP's Casper White Stout | James Page Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by ERRL710 on 08-27-2013

View: Beers
4.5/5  rDev +25%

Creamy vanilla with a nice long lasting head. Poured on tap on the city it was brewed in. Sessionable and easy drinking. Getting a second tonight.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Kinda artificial in smell and taste

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Light gold colored beer with a rapidly fading head. Taste is white chocolate and vanilla. Overall a smooth and tasty beer. I think this is worth trying at least one time.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Gold light orange color,decent feel and good amount of carbonation. Aroma was bread,sweet white chocolate,vanilla and some chocolate. Taste was similar but sometimes the chocolate came off slightly artificial. Glad I got a can of this but happy I didn't get a whole six pack

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of James Page Brewing's JP's Casper White Stout last week for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. At first I confused this for an Alaskan Brewing beer, but once I found out it was something completely different I thought it was still worth checking out, so lets see how it goes. 2017 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks ok, it's a little confusing to figure out the brewer and it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy golden orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had a finger and half worth of creamy and slightly bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some rings of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with a hoppy aroma being the first to show up and it imparts some light citrus rind, generic hops and soapy hops aromas that are followed b y a little bit of a stone fruit like aroma. Up next comes a little bit of a chocolate and coffee bean lie aroma with a little bit of a vanilla aroma and that goes int o the malts which impart a bready, pale malt, grainy and light cardboard like aromas. The aroma was just ok, the soapy hops and light cardboard malts held it back.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with the hops which are a lighter this time with no soapy aspects and that leads into the chocolate and coffee which show up just a little more than they did in the aroma with just a little more of a vanilla flavor. Up next comes a little bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which impart pale malt, grainy, slightly watery and sweet malt like aroma with no cardboard aspects this time. This is a decent tasting beer, but I wish the taste was a little bolder and less grainy.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly creamy, slightly watery, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it wasn't a little watery.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being average for the style, it wasn't bad and thankfully the off aspects in the aroma didn't make it to the taste, but that didn't make up for the favor that flavors was still on the light side and I thought the key flavors could have been showcased better. This beer has ok drinkability, I think one is enough for me, I might get bored with it if I have more than one. What I like the most about this beer is the mouthfeel, it's nice and the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the aroma, it could use some work. I wouldn't buy this one again and I can't say I would recommend it, I much prefer Stone's version of a White Stout. All in all I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it either and I think the taste and the aroma could both use a good amount of work. It didn't make for a great first impression of this brewery, but I'm still interested in trying some more beers from them as this style can be a little tricky. Better luck next time guys, this one could some more work.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.07/5  rDev -14.7%

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

3.27/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Strangely, this is probably the first white stout I've had that I actually sort of enjoyed. The beer itself is deceptive because it looks and smells a bit like an amber - but then it's definitely quite chocolate-y. I liked that well enough, but the chocolate tastes very artificial.

Glad I tried it, wouldn't seek it out again.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

We BeerAdvocates often talk of our white whales/whalez/wales and I suppose that this CAN is one of my white buffaloes. Y'see, I first became aware of its existence when I scored a CAN of JP's A Capella Gluten-Free Beer for The CANQuest (tm) & realized that there were others in the series. I would still like to get the Hefeweizen & the Red Ale, but for now, I am happy to lay Casper to rest.

From the CAN: "Stand Apart"; "Adventurous brews with a twist"; "CANs [-] Infinitely recyclable".

I Crack!ed the CAN open & began a gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. I have to go to work later & I do not feel like cleaning up an inadvertent mess. The first thing of note was its color - instead of the usual inky blackness, it was actually solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity! Wow! I briefly had a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head, but it faded quickly, perhaps due to the increasing heat & humidity of the day. Nose had an odd sweetness, like vanilla. In a Stout?!? Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, just above watery, but not by much. The taste was really different - crackery malt, vanilla and milk chocolate. It really put me in mind of a white chocolate-covered pretzel. Chew on THAT for a second! Man, it was just SO different! Here in Lancaster (Co.), PA, we have a LOT of pretzel manufacturers & people have their favorite producer, but most people are not fans of any sort of chocolate on their pretzels. Not me! I like the balance struck by the baked pretzel dough, the saltiness of the finished pretzel & the sweetness of the chocolate. I generally disdain sweets, but the salty doughiness helps to offset the sugary chocolate. Now, imagine that flavor combination in a beer. It was just SO different! Finish was in that twilight zone between semi-sweet & semi-dry. It was interesting, but also fulfilling. One was enough for me.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

While there isn't really much written on the can or packaging about the make of the beer, I don't think this is actually a stout. At first smell, you do get similar notes of sweetness that you would from a vanilla porter, but it has the same bite going down as a lager, and I'm fairly certain it's a flavored lager. Doesn' t deserve to have the name "stout" on it's can, which is the confusing reason i purchased this when I saw it. Overall drinkable, but definitely not a stout alternative.

4.8/5  rDev +33.3%

Soooo good. THIS is what a cream ale is all about. It literally tastes like a cream soda. Butterscotch, vanillia, amazingness. Must try it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy, light yellow. Foamy, short, white head that fades fast.

Smells sweet vanilla, malt, hints roast.

Tastes like cream soda. Interesting flavor. Too sweet for a beer but still good. Vanilla and light roast mostly. Finish is semi sweet vanilla. No linger. Lighter body and higher fizzy carbonation.

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow! Very surprised I guess a stout doesn't have to be dark. Pours a hazy golden color with a nice thick white head. A nice sweet smell and an awesome yes white chocolate flavor. Good carbonation easy going down with no aftertaste. Will definitely buy

3.49/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

JP's Casper Nitro legitimately changed my life. From the moment I took my first sip, I have been seriously comtepmplating the meaning of life and whether or not the human existence should be dedicated to tasting the amazing flavor of JP's. Personally I believe that you have not lived until you have had a JP's Casper Nitro, and many others can corroborate this fact. Every night I cry for those who are less fortunate and do not have the means to drink JP's, and I pray that everyone may one day be able to drink JP's every day for the rest of their lives. This beer is that good, folks.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.67/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

"White Stout", what a load of B.S. Its a solid yellow beer, low carbonation, little head and not a lot of lacing. It smells like vanilla cookie dough. It tastes like a cream ale with some vanilla hints. The key flavor of a stout is roasted barley, not a trace of that here. Mouthfeel is rather full and cloying. Pretty much garbage.

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

JP's Casper White Stout from James Page Brewing Company