Straub American Amber | Straub Brewery

straubbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by DerekP on 05-06-2012

4.63/5  rDev +33%

This is a good inexpensive beer in Pennsylvania. It's made with Pa mountain spring water from the Laurel Run Reservoir. It's advertised as a beer that contains "no added sugars, salts, preservatives, or synthetic chemicals," making it known as the "natural choice." Yet, Straub uses corn flakes as a source of starch. This is the only con I see with Straub beer. I'm not sure how pure the corn flakes Straub uses are as corn flakes are processed, and moreover, I'd rather drink beer that is not brewed with corn flakes. On the other hand, this beer is one my favorites. It has a great blend of flavors - a hint of sweetness from the malted barley, light hops, and the corn flakes are actually blended nicely in this beer. The flavors are very rich, yet the mouthfeel is not too thick. The color is a nice amber, and this beer gives me an uplifting buzz. Straub is really underrated, and I'd be lying if I didn't give this beer a 5 out of 5 for taste. I prefer Straub Amber Lager over Yuengling any day.

4.32/5  rDev +24.1%

My need to be fiscally responsible has forced me to seek out a beer that I can call my everyday beer, and Straub American Amber fills the bill. I've always preferred to keep corn out of my beer (and my gasoline). While I understand that corn is involved in the brewing process, I've not found substantial evidence in the flavor profile. I might even say that it seems apparent that Straub Amber is brewed with pride as it's first ingredient.

It pours clear and clean with a pleasing and satisfying amber color. It has an understated hop flavor and maltiness that, along with about 4% abv, leaves me content, and able to have a few more without the guilt that I sometimes feel for downing a couple of micros in a row. My rating considers the style and I've rated it high, without apology.

Some may find this silly, but I've always been one to stay away from what's "popular". Yuengling's Traditional Lager falls into that category. If you also prefer to walk the path less trodden, I would really recommend trying this brew.

4.28/5  rDev +23%

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

For the style I'm very impressed. Very smooth, could move into my new "regular beer" spot in the fridge.

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%

4.04/5  rDev +16.1%

3.99/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured semi-vigorously from the can into a standard Turbinator style glass.

A: Big bright white head and copper body. Nice looking brew and pretty on point for the style. minimal lacing and a finger of head that lasted a while.

S: Some graininess with a hint of mild esters. Also, some very mild grassy hop notes.

T: Some mild tea notes with very middle malts, some sweetness due to corn. Slightly bitter. Some light floral notes also peek about the edges.

M: Creamy without being overly full. The carbonation is perfect, and lends the brew to a slightly refreshing note. Very mild bitter finish with that floral ultimate finish. Pretty much infinitely poundable at such low ABV.

O: I really like this style and I really like this beer. I used to have Yuengling Lager as my go to canned format, but this has less of that bubblegummy estery thing going on and all the right malt, yeast and mild hops flavors. I do not see why this is not more popular out in Western PA, and certainly more popular than Yuengling it should be!

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great beer for the price. Looks good, a nice amber color with a good head retention. although its an adjunct the smell isnt corny. It smells like a beer should.
taste is very rich for a 20 dollar case of beer. mouthfeel is balanced maybe a bit on the sweet side but good. This is a really nice local beer with a great history behind it.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Pours a bright amber color (as expected) with a 1/2 inch of sticky white head. I really like how the heads sticks around for a bit.

S - Smell is of bread and toasted malts, touch of caramel malt, and a bit of hops that is minimal but hell at least you can pick it out rather than guess with BMC.

T - Wow is this clean tasting. Dare I say the hops and malt are in harmony even more so than your traditional "lager" Yuengling. Lager yeasts are mild and so are the hops but the best part is the malt and water. With the toasted malts and caramel taste plus the clean water taste makes for a great beer.

M - Light to medium like Yuengling I could see myself taking on a six pack no problem.

Overall it's just as good as the Groundhog brew but seems to be in regular rotation. If the price matches or is cheaper than Yuengling this will be a staple in my fridge.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

Taste 34/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 83/100

Summery: For the price, its a winner! About a buck a beer and it drinks clean and smooth. Think Yuengling but without the bad aftertaste. Very solid value but of coarse it is still pretty much an adjunct for the most part so if you are a beer snob maybe you should avoid it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5