Camo Black Ice | Camo Brewing Company

Camo Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by bditty187 on 12-29-2006

Camo Black is good for one thing - a high ABV. To discuss its qualities in detail would be akin to evaluating the finer points of Taco Bell. That being said, it really tastes no worse than any other malt liquor I've had, and it is extremely inexpensive. Seeing people mention here that they have picked it up for 1.25 makes me extremely jealous, as in my area I have never seen it cost under 1.75 after tax.

4.07/5  rDev +121.2%

24 FL. OZ. can
Served in a pokal glass

This beer pours a beautiful straw color and is topped with a mountain of effervescent, white head that leaves some really nice spider web lacing.

The smell takes me back to when I was a child and my dad, who raised sheep, went to the local feed mill and had grain milled for the lambs. That smell is reminiscent in this wonderful elixir. I also get wisps of floral hops along with a healthy dose of alcohol.

The first few gulps make me winch due to the booziness. Once I get used to it I begin to pick out sweet grain notes along with some stiff alcohol.

It is quite thin which is typical for this underrated and undervalued style of beer.

This beer is not for the faint of heart. It is made to deliver a lot of bang for the buck, and believe me it does. Being a connoisseur of some of the finest malt liquors in the United States, I find this beer amazing. I love the strong taste. I love the fact that it is 10.5% abv. I love the fact that it is $1.79 for a 24oz can. I just wish I could find it locally. I had to buy it on a recent trip to Detroit and tote it home to enjoy after falling in love with it at my hotel room at 1:20am with a bag of White Castles. Craft brewers need to explore this style more or exclusively.

3.52/5  rDev +91.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear gold with one finger of short lived head. Some lacings.
Smell is typical M.L. not too bad for the style.
Taste is malty some brewers syrup hops are hard to find. No bad flavors and alcohol is well hidden.
Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Finish is mostly sweet and not too dry.
Overall a tasty M.L. for such a high abv. Would I buy it again? Maybe but just one 24 ounce can.

3.41/5  rDev +85.3%

While it's one of the most bitter flavors I've ever had from a tallboy, CAMO Black Ice will really get you the most bang for your buck. This stuff carries a serious bite. The initial taste, although strong, is actually not that horrible. It WILL, however, give your face an oogly-moogly expression if you're not accustomed to drinking it. The nice thing about it is how quickly it can get you on the level. For the average person a single tallboy will get you a healthy buzz and anything beyond 2 is guaranteed tipsy-status. If you can get past the aftertaste this stuff makes a long day at work seem like less of a big deal at the end of the day.

3.4/5  rDev +84.8%

Subjective tastes:
Wife: tastes like bourbon...hates!
Me: Tastes like bourbon...loves!

My wife says this beer taste like bourbon...and says she hates it.
I say it taste likes bourbon...and I say I love it!
Draw your own conclusions from this highly "scientific" taste test.
Cheers!

2.75/5  rDev +49.5%

2.68/5  rDev +45.7%

For it's 10.5% alcohol by volume mark, this beer is not the worst I have ever had. But beware! You must keep this can ice cold, lest you drink warm Camo, which is something I would not give to my worst enemy. A 24oz. can does me well, and for the price it's not bad - the taste is bad, but if you are a week from payday and need a beer to get you through an awful Royals game, this is the one to reach for - not Evil Eye.

2.63/5  rDev +42.9%

I really didn't have high hopes for the Camo Black Ice high gravity lager, but I actually found it to be pretty smooth and drinkable from start to finish. It's a malt liquor, through and through, from its clear pale amber color to its mildly dry finish. The smell was the only aspect that really put me off, but the taste was much better than that. It does a decent job of masking its whopping 10.5% alcohol level, and the black ice remains drinkable at a wide range of temps. You'll find that out, as it takes a while to work your through a 24oz can. One thing's for certain, by the time you finish one of these you're going to have a different outlook on things.

2.41/5  rDev +31%

Malt Likkapalooza X is here at last. Since I'm having trouble finding new malt liquors, there may not be too many more of these head-to-head grudge matches. This is the second of these competitions in a row to feature a Camo product. Will Black Ice do as well as Camo 900 High Gravity Lager? There's only one way to find out.

Rich amber that is almost as orange as it is yellow. The French vanilla colored crown looks pretty damn good. It's firmly creamy, is micropitting and is depositing an amazing amount of soon-to-be crusty lace. This is one of the best looking malt liquors that I've ever seen. Trash the brown paper bags, guys. Use a glass.

The nose is tremendously floral, almost perfumy. It's odd for a beer of this style, and not exactly 'tough guy' in nature, but I like it because it covers up the usual graininess and grain alcohol essence that these things usually deliver.

To my surprise, the flavor is where Camo Black Ice falls back to the level of its foe. I need to get deeper into the cans to pick a clear favorite, but they're close. The floralness and green apple flavor are a bit much. Okay in small doses. Less tolerable over all 24 ounces.

It's hard to completely obliterate a 10.5% ABV, and probably unfair to expect in a malt liquor, but a little more finesse wouldn't hurt. Of course no one who drinks malt liquor is looking for finesse... or probably even knows what finesse means.

It's hard to imagine the folks who usually drink this stuff standing around on the street corner discussing viscosity and the pleasures of 'energetic, yet soft-edged carbonation'. Hey, that describes the mouthfeel pretty well.

The appearance score might put Camo Black Ice over the top when it comes to the final score, but malt liquors are made for drinking (and, yes, tasting), so Schlitz High Gravity is my favorite beer of Malt Likkapalooza X no matter how it shakes out in the end. Looks like Camo 900 High Gravity is the best Camo of them all.

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

one of those beers that was given to me as a gag gift awhile back, sat in my fridge for some time, and finally got opened out of curiosity. the looks of it are really nice actually, clear golden in color with an inch of reasonably well lasting head, pure white, and leaving lacing as i swirl it. the nose isn't bad either, not at all. slightly stale and rather sweet barley and dextrose aromas, and some slight metallic oddness, but nothing way off, and not at all super boozy. the flavor is another story. the first sip is rather pleasant, i surprisingly taste grain first. it gets worse from their though. the second sip reveals a ton of sweetness, unnatural and very dense, while the third sip shows just how alcoholic it is. its a mess, and downright revolting by the third sip, more can than beer at this point. honestly on the whole its better than anticipated for so long, but the huge can and huge booze makes me timid. this would be warm by the end of it, which totally turns my guts around.carbonation is fine though the body is sweet and big. lager yeast flashes in, an odd appearance, and I'm wondering why so much residual sugar, just sloppy technique by whatever factory produced this thing. serves a purpose i guess, but not a purpose i hope to ever have...

2.25/5  rDev +22.3%

Served in a tulip

This is part of swillfest...I'm so sorry body.

This is a pale straw color that isn't really appetizing to the eyes. The nose has some puffed rice and anise. I really think this smells like butthole. I truly don't think it's a very favorable taste as well. There is a lot of corn syrup and pain. It's seriously hard to get down. Overall this is a terrible beer. 'Nuff said.

2.22/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a 24-ounce can into a half-liter beer glass. Not all at once.

Appearance: Slightly heavier than "straw-colored" and with a pretty decent head which recedes quickly leaving behind light-to-moderate lacing. Doesn't really look all that bad.

Smell: I actually kind of appreciate the scent here. There's a very distinct wine-like aroma with quite a bit of corniness to it. As a "beer" I would fail it, but being a "malt liquor" gives it a little leeway there. Slightly sweet'n'sour grape/rubbing alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Dear God. It starts out very smooth, nothing too over-the-top. Beer is moderately oily with low carbonation. As it bubbles down, however, you get the feeling you have just imbibed some watered-down gasoline. Bitter to a fault, pointless alcohol content. On the plus side, it rinses very clean, leaving you free to eat some chips or something to wash away the taste.

Drinkability: Only drink it to get drunk for next-to-nothing. Would certainly never recommend this beer to anyone for any purpose.

2.13/5  rDev +15.8%

24oz can acquired in trade with Kevin (thanks, I guess!).

I've been trying to get the local PA crew to drink this one for a while now, but for some reason, it took some arm twisting and constant urging!

Poured a medium yellow color with an averaged sized head. Yep, smells and tastes like a Malt Liquor - corny and just nasty.

Notes from: 3/14/08

2.08/5  rDev +13%

2.03/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours decently for a malt liquor style lager. Nice head of white foam, and a clear dark golden body.

The aroma is very astringent, lots of corn and tobacco characteristics. Dry and powdery too.

Taste wise it is very rich in the tobacco flavor, and kind of leathery and buttery.

Crisp and lots of carbonation up front. Delves into a burning ethyl feel for the finish. It almost feels/tastes like somebody dumped a shot of shitty whiskey into a beer.

1.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, some malts. Taste is of alcohol and not good at all. No real beer flavor here. Feels light with a slight burn in the mouth and is one of the least drinkable beers I have tried. Overall this beer is borderline disgusting.

Camo Black Ice from Camo Brewing Company