Camo Black Ice | Camo Brewing Company

Nevada, United States

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by bditty187 on 12-29-2006

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

one of those beers that was given to me as a gag gift awhile back, sat in my fridge for some time, and finally got opened out of curiosity. the looks of it are really nice actually, clear golden in color with an inch of reasonably well lasting head, pure white, and leaving lacing as i swirl it. the nose isn't bad either, not at all. slightly stale and rather sweet barley and dextrose aromas, and some slight metallic oddness, but nothing way off, and not at all super boozy. the flavor is another story. the first sip is rather pleasant, i surprisingly taste grain first. it gets worse from their though. the second sip reveals a ton of sweetness, unnatural and very dense, while the third sip shows just how alcoholic it is. its a mess, and downright revolting by the third sip, more can than beer at this point. honestly on the whole its better than anticipated for so long, but the huge can and huge booze makes me timid. this would be warm by the end of it, which totally turns my guts around.carbonation is fine though the body is sweet and big. lager yeast flashes in, an odd appearance, and I'm wondering why so much residual sugar, just sloppy technique by whatever factory produced this thing. serves a purpose i guess, but not a purpose i hope to ever have...

1.16/5  rDev -37%

Can dated "3330", brewed by "Five Star Brewing Co, Inc" in Lacrosse, WI and Latrobe PA. Wasn't Five Star going to be the new name of Viking before they went with Valkyrie? Don't blame them for the name change, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for being responsible for brewing this garbage either...

Into a large mug it does indeed pour urine gold with a rapidly fading white cap of fizzling bubbles. Rapid visible carbonation, crystal clear, looks like a sparkling cider.

Smells like a musty dishrag soaked with spoiled grape juice. Fusel alcohol fumes.
Starting to think this was a very bad idea.

Harshly astringent and overcarbonated. It tastes like alcohol and white grape juice that has started to turn. Sharp and lip-curling foul taste of fusel alcohol and sickly sweet white grape juice (likely from wine yeast). Just bad, real bad. One of the worse malt liquors on the market, pretty much the bottom of the barrel for a $1.49 can.

1.26/5  rDev -31.5%

24oz can - Just had to try a malt liquor

A - Poured out a golden, yellow color with a white, two-finger head. Highly carbonated.

S - Smelled of malt and corn. Also, a metallic aroma even though I poured it into a pilsner glass. Gets worse the more you drink it.

T - It tasted of corn and alcohol. Odd aftertaste.

M - It was crisp and dry. It also was rather warm due to the high-alcohol content.

D - It wasn't as bad as I expected. But it certainly wasn't good.

2.41/5  rDev +31%

Malt Likkapalooza X is here at last. Since I'm having trouble finding new malt liquors, there may not be too many more of these head-to-head grudge matches. This is the second of these competitions in a row to feature a Camo product. Will Black Ice do as well as Camo 900 High Gravity Lager? There's only one way to find out.

Rich amber that is almost as orange as it is yellow. The French vanilla colored crown looks pretty damn good. It's firmly creamy, is micropitting and is depositing an amazing amount of soon-to-be crusty lace. This is one of the best looking malt liquors that I've ever seen. Trash the brown paper bags, guys. Use a glass.

The nose is tremendously floral, almost perfumy. It's odd for a beer of this style, and not exactly 'tough guy' in nature, but I like it because it covers up the usual graininess and grain alcohol essence that these things usually deliver.

To my surprise, the flavor is where Camo Black Ice falls back to the level of its foe. I need to get deeper into the cans to pick a clear favorite, but they're close. The floralness and green apple flavor are a bit much. Okay in small doses. Less tolerable over all 24 ounces.

It's hard to completely obliterate a 10.5% ABV, and probably unfair to expect in a malt liquor, but a little more finesse wouldn't hurt. Of course no one who drinks malt liquor is looking for finesse... or probably even knows what finesse means.

It's hard to imagine the folks who usually drink this stuff standing around on the street corner discussing viscosity and the pleasures of 'energetic, yet soft-edged carbonation'. Hey, that describes the mouthfeel pretty well.

The appearance score might put Camo Black Ice over the top when it comes to the final score, but malt liquors are made for drinking (and, yes, tasting), so Schlitz High Gravity is my favorite beer of Malt Likkapalooza X no matter how it shakes out in the end. Looks like Camo 900 High Gravity is the best Camo of them all.

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

The infamous Camo Black Ice. Shared at our tasting yesterday so as to run the gamut from awful to amazing.

A: The pour is crystal clear and very, very pale yellow in color. The head is initially white and fluffy, but disappears almost as quickly as it arrived.

S: The nose is dominated by a sweet, airy rice aroma. There's a touch of grain sweetness and a fair amount of skunk.

T: I didn't think the flavor could get much worse than the nose, but somehow, it did. This one is all rice, corn, and booze. Just awful.

M: Very, very light body. The carbonation is fairly high, but it doesn't do much to help out the watery beer.

D: One of the most godawful things I've put in my mouth. Thanks Jacob and Jer for sharing this one...very generous.

1.23/5  rDev -33.2%

My can mission continues, CAN you dig it? This is not part of the review, but Rob Tod and I were talking on Saturday about the canned beer phenomenon as reported in the latest issue of "All About Beer" and the big thing holding (most) craft brewers back from canning is a lack of available cans. This could be an entry-level industry if people wanted to fill a void. Just like being a cooper - it was a dying craft for which there is now a huge demand. Just sayin' ...

Okay, is this beer capable of getting a head? I poured repeatedly, only to see what little developed devolve into wisps. The hell with it! I moved on. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nice. Especially since it was all downhill from there. The nose had a sharp paint thinner-like quality which is not optimal. OK, I am not stupid, I get the point - it is a cheap buzz at 10.5 ABV in a low-priced 24-oz. can, but ZOUNDS!, does it need to be so obnoxious? Mouthfeel was thin with a hot alcohol burn on the tongue replaced with a green apple flavor. Phew. The finish left me (literally) breathless. It was a really hot beer from start to finish and undoubtedly smoked a couple of brain cells and a region of my liver. Man, I would be hard pressed to crack another of those.

1.94/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

The eighth entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises bubblegum, vanilla, cream soda, and corn syrup. Boo. The taste holds notes of lemon rind, tart mandarin orange skin, corn syrup, and rotten vanilla bean. More boo. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda syrupy feel. Overall, a highly objectionable malt lickah, one that I wish followed the harshly sweet smell.

1.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, some malts. Taste is of alcohol and not good at all. No real beer flavor here. Feels light with a slight burn in the mouth and is one of the least drinkable beers I have tried. Overall this beer is borderline disgusting.

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%

1.42/5  rDev -22.8%

Picked up in Wyoming mostly for morbid curiosity. How good can it be? Got to see some bad countries on the Earth to appreciate how great most of North America and Europe are compared to most of Africa.

But I have had Super Brew 15 in my mouth so I know bad when I put it in my mouth.

Poured in a glass just to be fair and like most malt liquor it does a passable job at looking like a lager. Clear gold with a small momentary white colored head.

Smells fruity as in fusel alcohol from beer fermented hot and fast. Malty and toffee candy. It is a bit spicy and I got the smell nailed. This smells like spiced caramel apple. There is a strong apple butter scent to this. Might actually give this some credit except I know what Fusel Alcohol does for hangovers. But to be honest doesn't smell that bad.

Moment of truth the taste.

Starts of thin and boozy. Tastes a lot like apple cider. And that is about it, tastes like Vodka and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is thin and the carbonation boils off pretty quick.

Overall this is a beer meant for hardcore alcoholics and college dorm parties.

But you already knew what you were buying a bad beer when you purchased it.

6 OZ drank 18 OZ to clean out the drain.

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%

4.07/5  rDev +121.2%

24 FL. OZ. can
Served in a pokal glass

This beer pours a beautiful straw color and is topped with a mountain of effervescent, white head that leaves some really nice spider web lacing.

The smell takes me back to when I was a child and my dad, who raised sheep, went to the local feed mill and had grain milled for the lambs. That smell is reminiscent in this wonderful elixir. I also get wisps of floral hops along with a healthy dose of alcohol.

The first few gulps make me winch due to the booziness. Once I get used to it I begin to pick out sweet grain notes along with some stiff alcohol.

It is quite thin which is typical for this underrated and undervalued style of beer.

This beer is not for the faint of heart. It is made to deliver a lot of bang for the buck, and believe me it does. Being a connoisseur of some of the finest malt liquors in the United States, I find this beer amazing. I love the strong taste. I love the fact that it is 10.5% abv. I love the fact that it is $1.79 for a 24oz can. I just wish I could find it locally. I had to buy it on a recent trip to Detroit and tote it home to enjoy after falling in love with it at my hotel room at 1:20am with a bag of White Castles. Craft brewers need to explore this style more or exclusively.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

This very harsh brew gets tastier as one drinks more of it. It has a strong alcohol smell and a golden appearance with a tolerable head. The flavor is strongly alcoholic and harsh. Camo Black Ice is stinging in the mouth and tough to take at first. However, by the time I was about half way through the 24 oz. can (poured in a pint glass), I began to enjoy it. I prefer milder beers for daily drinking, but this would be something to have from time to time. I felt woozy for about three to four hours after drinking this. It’s rough.

RJT

1.88/5  rDev +2.2%

Why Dave why do you insist on doing this to me.

A: Pours a pale yellow with a foamy head. No lace.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and a cat's litter box.

T: Sweet corn, cane sugar, floor stripper.

M: Light, thin, fizzy.

D: Would rather drink what's in the cat's litter box.

2.13/5  rDev +15.8%

24oz can acquired in trade with Kevin (thanks, I guess!).

I've been trying to get the local PA crew to drink this one for a while now, but for some reason, it took some arm twisting and constant urging!

Poured a medium yellow color with an averaged sized head. Yep, smells and tastes like a Malt Liquor - corny and just nasty.

Notes from: 3/14/08

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%

1.63/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear, gold in hue; I am pleased the color is not overly thin or sickly. Loud, talkative white head, at the apex the foam was easily three fingers tall. The bubbles popped and left pockmarks as it faded steadily. A small cap lasted the entire consumption (albeit brief consumption). No lacing of note. Overall, the appearance is quite standard.

The nose smells of malt and corn grist with fruit jelly and Vaseline mixed in for good measure. Alcohol is noticeable, it doesn’t seem overly hot to me but I fear it will open up once I take a sip. I have smelled worse Malt Liquors (and better ones). Offensive but it will not haunt my memories.

Sweet palate, it is malty for a brief moment before turning rather corny and a tad wheat-like. There are tons of fusel alcohol flavors, fruit jelly, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, and apples (grapes too?). The alcohol heat burns my throat on the swallow… I am forced to take little sips. I’ve had a couple good Malt Liquors but Camo Brewing Company has yet to delivers one. IMO, Black Ice is borderline awful.

Almost medium in body, minimal carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin but harsh. That is not a winning combo… The mouthfeel is poor but I’m not drinking enough of it to really matter.

Drinkable? Um, like, hell no. I purchased a massive 24-ounce can for $1.08 at a local grocery store. Why? So BA member Roydrinksitall can review this beer? Merry Christmas. To the rest of you, avoid this beer.

3.52/5  rDev +91.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear gold with one finger of short lived head. Some lacings.
Smell is typical M.L. not too bad for the style.
Taste is malty some brewers syrup hops are hard to find. No bad flavors and alcohol is well hidden.
Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Finish is mostly sweet and not too dry.
Overall a tasty M.L. for such a high abv. Would I buy it again? Maybe but just one 24 ounce can.

1.08/5  rDev -41.3%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Deep yet clear golden yellow, no head nor lacing at all, but there are fair amounts of effervescent rising bubbles.

S. Smells very much like cheap Manischewitz wine mixed with kerosene, some diesel, and a hearty side of lawnmower engine oil/gasoline combination. Warning flags and klaxon alarms are going off in my mind.

T. Gargh!! Almost pure fusel alcohols! My eyebrows have spontaneously dissolved! And I think a part of my brain has dribbled out of my ear canal as well! Is this really even beer?

M. Texturally, it even resembles the thin and strident feel of solvents. Only carbonated. Carbonated Solvents. Hey, that sounds like a good name for a band, hmm.

Seriously, this is the very textbook definition STANDARD of fusel fumigation madness. Maybe there's a pinch of white grapes in the finish after the gasoline / kerosene explosion, but I'm having a hard time finding it while being preoccupied with extinguishing my chest hair.

Possibly this "brew" could also be utilized as paint thinner or to help remove those stubborn concrete driveway oil stains.

1.29/5  rDev -29.9%

brewed by Five Star Brewing Co. Lacrosse, WI.

24 ounce can.

*Disclaimer* i am afraid of this beer already!

ok, here goes....

pours out of the can a clear perfect gold colour with a an off white frothy head. actually some lace on the sides as i sip. aroma is heavily fusel, with lots of artificial banana and other random sweet tart flavours. actually does not smell bad, just not *right*. taste is a heavy dose of jet fuel soaked alcohol. yikes. the corn syrup soaked evilness has a sickly cheap liquor note to it. more fermented bananas and a green apple note to boot. i can only think that this what some demented distiller had in mind when brewing up some moonshine and then deciding to brew some beer. i'm serious, this stuff has an ethanol edge that is just plain wrong. i'm not sure if any barley or hops were used in this "beer". who in the hell thinks up this stuff?!? i should be drinking this out of a shot glass and not trying to discern any nuances. on the other hand, it does have a pretty slick and smooth mouthfeel, making the drinker only wince after i swallow. drinkability?? well....i say it has zero drinkability, but the score only goes down to 1.

this is beyond an ice brewed malt liquor. there should be a new category for alcoholic concoctions such as this. my god is this stuff vile!

2.03/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours decently for a malt liquor style lager. Nice head of white foam, and a clear dark golden body.

The aroma is very astringent, lots of corn and tobacco characteristics. Dry and powdery too.

Taste wise it is very rich in the tobacco flavor, and kind of leathery and buttery.

Crisp and lots of carbonation up front. Delves into a burning ethyl feel for the finish. It almost feels/tastes like somebody dumped a shot of shitty whiskey into a beer.

Camo Black Ice from Camo Brewing Company