Camo Silver Ice | Camo Brewing Company

Added by bditty187 on 05-21-2003

2.16/5  rDev +6.9%

24 fl oz can.

D+ / NOT RECOMMENDED

I'd never consume this now but in college it's a cheap beer to get you wasted so it deserves a 5 because it achieves the level of it's intention.

1.22/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Where to start... uh... ok, no prelude... let's just get to it.

Look - something is off here. It pours a golden color, not unlike a macro adjunct, but it has a haze to it that just doesn't seem to be right. Remember Buffalo Bill from Silence Of The Lambs? Yeah... looks kinda like that. Upgraded from 1 to 1.25 as it does have some (fast dissipating) head that settles into a surprisingly nice little foam ring.

Smell - nothing... No, I'm serious... literally NOTHING! Had to bring my wife over and ask for verification. She said she got something, but it was very subtle. Once it warms a bit it does get somewhat of sweet grain odor, but it never REALLY develops a proper smell.

Taste - "Naturally Brewed" my a**... There ain't nothing natural about this s***... Prior to the first sip, I ran in place a bit... like when a God fearing human being sees a wasp on the patio. Fear and anxiety ensued. HOWEVER... tasting in wasn't quite as bad as confronting the evil that is the wasp (seriously... one of God's sick little jokes). While this is one step away from worshiping the Devil, it does develop some adjunct flavor as it warms. I never thought I'd appreciate grainy, corny adjunct nastiness... but it was a nice distraction from the actual flavor of this "beer."

SIDE NOTE - many have complained about the booziness of this beer... I honestly cannot taste the alcohol (even at 10.6%) over the overall yucky blah in this so-called "lager."

Feel - it's carbonated. I think.

Overall - I feel like I need a Bible, an old priest and a young priest... the fact that I drank 24 oz of this is proof that I am not living right with Jesus.

1.62/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Grabbed it just to see how bad it was. Even as a poor college kid there is better beer i fan afford. I think Budweiser is much better. That's..... saying something... Drank a Victory Moon Glow and Firestone Walker Wookey Jack to clease the palate :D

2.29/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.4/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.08/5  rDev -46.5%

" Fortune favors the bold ".

Yeah..we'll see about that.

L - Poured see through piss yellow without any trace of a head

S - This one smelled like some booze. Not good booze either. More of the kinda booze that leaves an ever present headache of bastard children after a one night stand turns into an unwanted.comittment and a shotgun wedding type of booze.

T - Tases like grain alcohol had geschlechsverkher with a stalk of pesticide ridden corn.

F - Numbing at least.

O - This may rival steel reserve in terms of worst beer I've ever consumed.

1.62/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

It does exactly what you want it to do. I picked up three of these for $7 and just one of them got me to a real good place. It's not for enjoying.

1.26/5  rDev -37.6%

In retrospect (about 10 years since I've had one of these) they're terrible. But I suppose they're bearable when you're a broke college kid.

1.5/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

High abv for $2.49. Taste is rough. Does the job though

1.71/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

At $1.39 for a 24-ounce can with 10.6% alc/vol, I knew off the top of my head this will probably be a bad experience. I was right. For $1 and change, you're getting the equivalent of about 4 "standard abv" beers. Since I don't like anything to go to waste, I will continue drinking (slowly but surely) the rest. It tastes like a carbonated watered-down cheap whiskey to me. If you are a broke college student wanting to get drunk on a budget, this is seriously a steal. I'd actually prefer Icehouse beer over the Camo as far as taste, and I don't even like Icehouse. You get what you pay for.

Camo Silver Ice has an extremely thin, white head, a clear, golden, somewhat bubbly appearance, but the overall look is not so clean. The aroma is very offensive and is picked up right when the can is cracked open. It is a sickly-sweet, pungent, strong, odor of wet grain husk and rotted candy. The flavor is equally repellent, with grain husk, unusual sweetness, with strong and cheap alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with a dastardly chalky under-taste. Camo Silver Ice finishes semi-wet, boozy, and stomach turning. I poured it out.

RJT

1.9/5  rDev -5.9%

Got this in a 40oz bottle at a local gas station because I want to try all or most of the Camo offerings because I have no idea. Needless to say, this one sneaks up on you with its 10.6% abv. Halfway through, I started feeling the buzz, and by the time I was done, I was definitely in a happy place. This morning... not so much.

If you're looking for a cheap offering with a high abv and don't have serious plans the next day, go for it. It has the ability to surprise, being a dryer malt liquor than others, but it doesn't take long to realize you're practically drinking ethenol-flavored beer.

2.02/5  rDev 0%

I have a secret love of bad beers. Someone has to taste it first right? Imported from a Wyoming truck stop.

So...I never expected this $1 can of booze to be a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

But I am Fair so lets pop the top and see what is in the can.

So like almost every malt liquors on earth it does a good job of looking like a Lager. Gold color with a decent white colored head that doesn't last.

Smell. Yeah...Denatured Alcohol and corn. There is a Fruity smell but no Identifiable Fruit. Every home brewer on earth knows the smell of beer fermented too hot.

Dare I taste it? After Superbrew 15 I am an Explorer in badness.It tastes better than expected. Flavor is Apple Juice, Everclear and Crackers. There is no Gag reflex or anything just the taste of your first failure at making a lager in a bad way. Still it isn't revolting. Dryer than most and intensely fruity. I can give this an honest 2.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall it is better than I feared. Still if you buy a can of this you know it will not be BCS.

1.56/5  rDev -22.8%

Camo Silver Ice is one cheap brew. with an abv of 10.6 per 12 oz. The taste is just pain awful. I got the whole 24 oz can down. I will not get this brew again. Even if it is cheap. Rot gut and death in a can. The color is a dark Amber/Yellow color. Smell of alcohol and cheap brew.

3.56/5  rDev +76.2%

Last time I had Camo Silver Ice it was 9.0% ABV. Good on Camo for having the stones to raise the ABV.

Remember, all ratings are within the style. It's a style that I'm very familiar with and passionate about.

A: Golden. Retains a semi-ring of lace with some patchy foam in the center. Slight lacing if consumed quickly enough.

S: Champagne mixed with Budweiser. Strong saltiness.

T: Amazingly simple for the ABV. Very balanced. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Nothing too strong. Nothing lingering. Nothing offensive. Bold but reasonably so. I can best describe it as a 10.6% ABV light beer.

M: Extremely high carbonation with a water like feel. The mouthfeel contributes in a large part to the lack of cloyingness.

O: Taking something that should be offensive and making it inoffensive is impressive. Steel Reserve 211 (Silver Label) is less enjoyable to me than this. Now consider that Camo Silver Ice is about 25% stronger and about 2/3rds the price of Steel Reserve 211.

Dear Camo,

Please start selling your products in Northern California.

Thanks,

troobie

1.25/5  rDev -38.1%

3.5/5  rDev +73.3%

2.85/5  rDev +41.1%

I know what you're thinking: "didn't you slam Black Ice??" Yes, I did. Since then though, I've heard from others who share my view of the lowly malt liquor as a category of brews who've remarked surprising things about Silver vs Black.

Curiosity got me. Hell, it's cheap, and I'm off work tomorrow.

Tall can to big mug. Got aggressive with the pour towards the end and still no head, yet it's very fizzy. A dirty yellow translucent. Smells quite alch-y, though not in a sweet way. Weird since it's now *stronger* than Black Ice, but whatever, maybe they finessed it somehow. A tiny bit of anonymous hop actually comes out. Drinkin' time...

Pilsner-yet-not-quite tones come through typical of cheap ass malt liquor. Just enough grain backbone to let me know it's there, and a bit of grape. Surprised the flavor, pleasantly so. Mouth on it oddly reminds me more of the Schlitz I tried than the other Camo, probably the fizz & weight.

Obviously it's not craft. But if you were expecting craft, there's no reason to even buy this. For what it is though...did Camo pull a Homer with this one? Why the hell do I... kinda *like* it?

3.87/5  rDev +91.6%

I don’t quite understand why everyone has such a problem with Camo Silver Ice. I just cracked open a 40 ounce widemouth and am finding it to be quite enjoyable. There’s an aroma reminiscent of grapes that is quite pleasing. The flavor is mildly hoppy and very smooth. I would compare this to a sort of microbrew in the taste department. At 10.6% ABV, you get your money’s worth, which is something I can’t say about many microbrews or common type beers. For the drinker on a budget, I wholeheartedly recommend Camo Silver Ice. Try it...I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed!

Camo Silver Ice from Camo Brewing Company