Palm / Palm Speciale | Brouwerij Palm NV

Ratings: 1,077 |  Reviews: 292

1.22/5  rDev -63%

1.43/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Another Inbev disaster. Had this on-tap at an American wood-fired pizza venue. Decent amber color, but ultra-thin tasting. Nothing Belgian about this. No odor or nose to speak of either. I kept wanting a hint of flavor- but practically no grain and no hopping evident. Watery mouthfeel too. As the menu had no prices for drinks, I had to ask the waitress what I was paying for this beer- hoping it wasn't a $6 pint- she assured me it was only $3. You get what you pay for and I won't make the mistake of ordering this again. As a fan of Belgian beers from Gulden Draak to Maredsou to Kwak, this beer delivered nothing of the character or malty goodness of those- a bit of research online shows this to be another Inbev disaster which means to find it on-tap at a mainstream bar means this is Budweiser product. This one is to be avoided.

1.43/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Uncensored review, children under 18, you may not want to read this.
This was poured into a flared tulip.
The appearance was a semi-clear red color with one finger of foamy white head. Light somewhat speckled lacing slides into the beer in a messy sort of way.
The smell has some burnt biscuits and some caramel that seems sour with some funky earthy thing going on (is this old? have I been "punked?" "Aw, come on guys, wait up, where's the beef?"). Yeah, I think the reader gets what I'm throwing down, I'm not thrilled with this. Hmmm...proceeding for the sake of the review...
The taste was basically the same "where's the punchline," Bubba, no really, Bubba, this ain't funny. Just waiting for someone to throw an online rotten egg to me, well, yeah, that sour caramel thing pouncing on my taste buds saying in an Eddie Murphy voice, "boy, you ain't punked, this is how I taste and if you ain't likin' it, tough crap." Ugh, ya know, I'm not diggin' the graininess in this one.
The mouthfeel that graininess comes back full throttle and slap happy as it takes my tongue and says "boy, I'm gonna make you my (fill-in-the-blank)." Yeah, it sure does. Damn graininess doesn't seem to want to let up as my tongue gets a harshness slapped by a bit too much grains. Light to medium bodied, I'm thinking on this one.
Overall, alright, so here we are, wasn't sure if I could make it this far on this one, but the smell is pretty foul, the taste can't hold up and the feel is just overly harsh. Apologies to those who love this and think it's the bees knees. Me, I do like a lot of Belgian styled ales, but this one, yeah, I can't stand behind it to endorse it for anyone. If this is a Belgian pale ale, then I am Mickey Mouse.

1.5/5  rDev -54.5%

1.58/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

At least it looks pretty in the glass. Had it in Holland at my hotel ( very limited selection).
The body and flavor are thin and lifeless. Head dissipates quickly , Arroma has a touch of biscuit but overall an insipid beer. Why would they do this to water?

1.75/5  rDev -47%

1.81/5  rDev -45.2%

A: Pours a nice copper color with a thin foamy head, and moderate lacing emanating from the laser etching on my glass.

S: Aroma is very thin, with a noticeable hint of creamed corn. Instead of an esterful presentation of fruit and spices, I am dealt a mess of overcooked veggies and cardboard.

T: Low flavor, to appeal to the masses, with plenty of cardboard and corn to go around. Not only is it not flavorful, it is offensive.

M: watery and lifeless...

O: A pathetic brew that doesn't deserve to associate itself with its great country. At least Stella, while light, is well composed. This brew is a mess.

1.86/5  rDev -43.6%

Half pour into a Palm goblet

A - clear light amber color, with a single finger of white head with large bubbles, no lacing at all

S - slightly skunky, smells like a Heineken or other euro-import-lager. Malty sweetness underneath with a slight hint of burnt grain.

T - empty at first, leading into a wallop of lightly sticky malt with almost no hops at all. Tastes like amstel light.

M - thin and watery

O - Forgettable and pedestrian, could give Belgian beer a bad name (Disclaimer, I expect any country/brewery/brewer is capable of making both awesome and terrible beers, but given the pedestal "Belgians" are put on this was a big dissapointment.)

1.89/5  rDev -42.7%

This beer is gross.

Beer is yellow and clear with a lazy thin head of small white bubbles, no lacing, moderate to low carbonation...

Beer has a corny aroma...yuck.

Beer is thin and grainy and sweet. It finishes with this slight acidity and huskiness then the whole thing goes to hell. There is a HUGE aftertaste that is 100% boiled corn. This was HORRID.

This dismal 'ale' was the only alternative to Heineken in Amsterdam airport - watery and tasteless - borderline drinkable, but would choose pretty much anything Belgian over this.

Palm / Palm Speciale from Brouwerij Palm NV