Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Über Pils) | Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Ãœber Pils)Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Ãœber Pils)

Heavy Seas Beer
Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Arguably our most well-balanced beer, Small Craft Warning seems at once hop-forward and malt-forward; our brewers debate over which flavor force prevails in the beer. Small Craft exemplifies a robust pilsner - it's crisp, well-carbonated, and slightly sweet. The beer is characterized by a firm malt backbone and a pronounced hop character. A fine aroma, from an array of hops, completes this quaffable beer.

Added by farHillsBrewer on 03-12-2004

Ratings: 1,101 |  Reviews: 592
2.89/5  rDev -23.5%

A: Burnished gold color, thick and fluffy head with good retention and lacing. It is very transparent and good visible carbonation.

S: Not much smell, just a faint dank hop aroma and lager smell.

T: Very light in flavor, with sparse biscuit notes. Good bitterness, but underwhelming on flavor. Some yeast flavor.

M: Fairly clean. Light bitterness, and light bodied.

O: Overall I thought it was mediocre for an imperial pils. I would have liked a more pronounced malt character. The hops are spot on, and the appearance is nice. I guess I just expected more. I won't be drinking another, because I've had regular craft pilsners with better flavor.

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Dark gold/ amber. In my opinion the classic look for a beer.
Smell: Slightly...chemical scent, but with a heavy yeast smell. Definitely reminds me of baking bread.
Taste: Nothing special as far as beer goes. Slightly bitter. Again, extremely heavy on yeast taste.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, very lightly carbonated. It reminded me of slightly flat ginger ale.

2.91/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A liitle too malty even though I know its a pils. Overall, nice color, decent mouthfeel

2.91/5  rDev -23%

had this once and didn't enjoy it, figured I'd give it another shot

A - not a bad appearance, nice clear golden pils color

S - middle of the road, decent, but not very standoutish

T - after the good up front taste of spicy hopped malt, this really loses me. the middle of each sip brings this odd, wet, lightly malted tone that I really don't enjoy, kinda heavy and obnoxious and belies the concept of a pilsener, to me at least.

M - similar to the taste, a little heavier than I'd like, not quite as crisp as it should be

D - kind of grudgingly finished the 6 pack over a couple weeks, each time it was more and more forcing myself to drink it so it would go away. I really like everything else I've tasted from Heavy Seas/Clipper City, this just isn't my thing

2.91/5  rDev -23%

Never had a Double Pils before, so I'm no expert on the style, but compared with other craft pils I have tried, I can see why this is indeed an odd yet tasty beer.

Lighter orange rather than that yellow I know, it was more the color of malt liquors with similar head retention, and looks. However, it looked fuller so it gets better than average. Plus, it had the beads of beer when poured...

Smell was odd. At first it smelled fruity but when poured into the glass , I'd could detect a odd "catsup" smell and slight hoppy notes it also had a sugary scent that screamed malt liquor.

Mouth was good, and had a nice foam and went down being a little thicker than most.

Taste was not malt liquor, and that was good, but it seemed almost like some octoberfests that I've had, only the hops were sudued, the malt didn't make itself known but the raisin taste was there and the wheat aftertaste was also pretty good.

So, I just don't know. I probably would not get this again because while it was fairly good, it was dangerously much like malt liquor. It's kind of like when I had an imperial porter, seemed like they boosted the alcohol content just to have it and that detracted from a decent beer.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Good beer, but I don't know how they can call this a pilsner.

A: Beautiful golden yellow, but it looks like a pale ale, not a pils.

S: Sweet and fruity, not what you would expect from a pils. Little hop nose. As it warms, alcohol very apparent. Smells a bit like vodka.

T: Pretty well balanced, a bit on the sweet side. Very ale-like. Or maybe like a bock. But pils?

M/D: Easily burned through a 6 pack, but probably would not buy again

This beer is in style-limbo. Definitely not your normal pils, much closer to a very tame pale ale or a hoppy bock.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Best before June 2013

A: Apple juice. Poor retention and no lacing.

S: fairly faint. A swirl brings out a whiff of toilet bowl cleaner.

T: Sweet crackers, apples, bread, mild grassiness. Light on the hops; could use more to counteract the syrupy sweetness.

M: Feels a bit too thick, maybe compounded by the sweetness.

O: Fairly uninteresting; perhaps it will be better with food.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Über Pils) from Heavy Seas Beer