Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) | Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)
3.67/5

Heavy Seas Beer
Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Summer

Added by stirgy on 05-23-2004

4.04/5  rDev +10.1%

Received as a extra in a big box of saisons from portia99.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe glass. This beer pours a shade or two lighter then straw, with just a speck of a white head that leaves just an inkling of lacing. I wish this beer had a better head, retention and lacing. The aroma is pretty typical of a Saison. Belgian candy sugar, clove, orange zest, pepper and big fluffy Grans biscuits. The flavor comes across as spicy. Big clove notes, cardamom, huge pineapple citrus, and white pepper mixed all together in a doughy bread. The mouthfeel is crisp and light bodied but finishes at about a perfect level of dryness. This is a really approachable Saison. I'm really glad to have had the opportunity to try it.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Served on tap at TJs

Pours a cloudy straw golden color, with a bubbly head of pure whiteness.

The nose had spice, apple, and a bit of malt toast.

The spice and apple come through in the flavor as well. Easy to drink and quite crisp. Easy to drink, this is a simple session beer - a nice take on a saison, not a traditional saison, but close, and worth it.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

On tap at Max's into a pint glass.

Very cloudy, straw golden color. Light head but very nice lacing.

Aroma is very floral and yeasty, with some hints of spices in the backround - cinnamon, cloves. Wheat is also fairly well present here.

Taste is fairly complex, some citrus hops up front, a definite yeastiness (being a saison and all) and a lot of wheat. Seems like they used quite a bit of wheat in this recipe. This is all sort of balanced out by a caramel, sweet maltiness.

Mouthfeel was moderate, the beer coated well and there was a decent bit of carbonation bite to it.

I could probably drink a few of these in a night, but I could also see it being a bit sweet for my taste. I guess it would depend what kind of a mood I was in. Not a bad beer though, Clipper City delivers pretty well.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a cloudy hay/stray color with a medium bodied thin white head.
Smells of coriander, some all-spice, rind, and some malt.
Tastes strongly of spice, with some sweet malts on the back end that are good.
Finish is crisp with a lingering spiced taste.
Goes down smoothly.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange, with a large, densely foamy off-white head. Retention is good, with some solid lacing.

S: Yeasty and spicy. Some cloves and yellow raisins/white grapes. Vaguely peppery. Some herbal hops. Malt is sweet and faintly bready.

T: Spicy, yeasty, very nice. Some sweetness with a touch of table sugar. Cloves and mild phenols. Some apple peel, pear, and white grapes. A kiss of alcohol gives it some strength.

M: Medium-full body. Carbonation is average. A fading spicy dryness coupled with the sugary feel. Nice.

D: Very impressed by this one. I like what Clipper City does with its Heavy Seas line. A robust, adventurous line of beers with an extremely reasonable price tag. This is the standout of the Heavy Seas line in my opinion.

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%

I'm drinking this in a pub glass out of a bottle. This is at least the tenth time I've had this and it's long been a favorite.

Pours a clear pale yellow. similar to a bmc, but with less head. The smell is a potpourri of various spices and flowery scents.

The taste is very sweet, possibly a litte overly sweet, it destroys the subtle flavors that I associate with a saison. Overall it's a very inexpensive beer with a deceptive alcohol content that I could drink almost any day. I think that clipper city should make this a regular heavy seas offering as it's waaaayy better than the uber pils.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Enjoyed on 05.02.09 from a 12oz brown bottle. Poured into a 14oz pint glass.

A: Pours a nearly clear gold apricot/peach. Big, white head that's dense and frothy. Lots of lace. Don't really see any yeast left in the bottle, but then again, he bottling date reads: Nov 08, so the conditioning might be just right...

S: Nice banana and clove yeast. The grass hops come thru. Some softer fruits, apple, pear & melon. Raw grain, sugar sweet, lemon zist pound through.

T: Dry, fruit flavor. Oh, wait. The yeast is all floaty like...!!! Good malt has a nice level of flavor. I am partial to farmhouse ales, so give this a "B" if you must grade on a grade.

M: Candied sugar, not unlike a good Saison. Natural carbs with the fruitiness makes for a good rummage around the tongue.

D: I'm in New Castle, DE right now as I'm drinking this, so you might once again consider this review skewed, but I've been really impressed with everything from Heavy Seas.

Buy this now. Buy it often, Saison copies should follow...

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours like a common American light lager. Straw to medium gold in color with a thin but sticky pure white head and some carbonation rising in the glass. Nearly crystal clear.

Smells of straw and light fresh fruit, green grass, herbs and spices. Very earthy and spring-like.

Wow. This is a Saison by definition with a Heavy Seas slant. Light malty spiced sweetness very closely tied to a nice citrus mid-after taste. Refreshing and clean.

Mouthfeel is decidedly medium bodied which is a little heavy for the style traditionally but very much to my personal liking. Carbonation is prickly for a short time then really smooth and creamy, combining very well with the body.

It's hard to think of a style or a brewer within this style that I would consider more drinkable. I'm glad I bought a six not a single.

This beer will be in heavy rotation throughout the season for sure.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

A. Appears semi-hazy in a shaker glass.

S. Wheat, grains and barnyard funk yeast.

T/M. Definate funky flavor. Tangy. Crystal malt? I think so. Light fruity moments. Crisp and sweet to the tongue. Just a slight warming alcohal. Wheaty, almost like a hefe, but with more gusto.

D. This is an easy drinking brew for an easy saturday afternoon. Good flavors, this one is a pleasant surprise.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%

This tastes like a traditional Saison to me but has a stronger flavor. At first I worried if the flavor was two strong and if I would tire of it after a few drinks. Not so, I still like it.

If you are looking for a Saison with a bit more kick than most, I think this might be the right one for you. Enjoyable.

3.47/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Darker tint of golden, clear. Carbonation and head decent. Retention okay, and there is a foam layer that goes down. Lacing is not there

Aroma: Sweet upfront. Fruity. Some spices are there as well.

Taste: Fruity, spicy and some Belgian yeast to top it off. Flavors balance out well and finish is good

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, goes down well

Drinkability: Tastes good, relatively high ABV might prevent me from indulging more, but I would be able to have a couple of these with no problem. Recommended

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - Clear, bright straw with a thin white head and bits of lacing.
Smell - Sweet Belgian yeast composes the nose, but not too much depth.
Taste - Sweet Belgian yeast, caramel malts, some spice.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied, smooth.
Drinkability - Very drinkable, though a little sweet which limits the sessionability. Alcohol is very well-masked.

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Pale golden color. Had a hard time making a good head, but what formed had average retention and a little lacing.

3.5 S: Lots of peppery spiciness, but overall it's very strange. There's something pungent about it that I can't identify.

4.0 T: It's actually pretty tasty. Belgian yeast flavors, citrusy orange and lemon. Very nice

4.0 M: Light body. Good carbonation and very smooth.

4.0 D: This is a good beer. Wouldn't mind drinking again.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

A - One finger of head that disappears quickly and leaves minor lace on the wall of the glass. Hazy, deeply golden colored body with lots of small particles floating in it.

S - Spicy and fruity. Notes of black pepper, banana, pineapple, vanilla, and clove. Subtle spicy hop aromas blend in nicely with the juicy yeast aromas.

T - Tart sourness combines nicely with spicy yeast notes. Lemon, pineapple, and pepper notes dominate the middle. The hops come out nest with a earthy/ spicy flavor and moderate bitterness. The finish is tart and earthy with a touch of plastic like phenols.

M - Moderately thick and creamy body, high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - A nice, flavorful Saison with a great aroma. It looks like shit, but makes up for it with a great yeast character. The only flavor flaw is the slightly unpleasant phenolic character in finish. For some reason, I have neglected the Clipper City beers up to this point, but after trying this one I'll have to give them some more attention.

3.31/5  rDev -9.8%

Almost no head. Straw-colored, hazy, full of particles...think Purple Haze, only a different color.

Very little smell, hint of "sweet" in the nose. A slight burn in the mouth, despite little carbonation.

Too much taste. It's sweet and it's spicy (pepper?) and it's hard to tell which dominates.

Same thing in the finish, where you get hit with a lot of complexity. Sweet gives way to spicy. After a delay, the peppery taste and feel kicks in and finally, the 7.5% alcohol warms you. As complex a beer as I've had.

This is a strange beer; it's better than the scores I gave it.

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Light honey blonde with a fluffy fine white head that leaves beautiful fine lace on the glass. Tons of suspended yeast particles in the body. Nice fruity yeast, cloves and apple cider come to mind. Smells Belgian. Tastes mild and fruity, overripe fruit with a nice funky sourness in the mostly dry finish. Medium bodied and highly quaffable for the style.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

On tap and from 12oz bottle.

Poured a lighter to medium yellow color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of some fruitiness, wheat, light yeast, and lighter spices. Tastes of the same light spices and somewhat fruity. I found the aromas and tastes to be on the subtle and softer side.

Original notes from: 10/11/04 with additions from the bottle over time.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

My first stab at this style, a little odd if you ask me. Tastes very Belgian-like to me.. reminds me a lot of all the Unibroue beers I tried. Weird appearance to it.. light orange/yellow color with lots of floating sediment... but the sediment doesn't move at all and just hangs motionless, suspended. Very spicy smell and taste to it. One of the spiciest beers I've ever tried really. While I can't say it goes down smooth exactly, for 8% ABV it doesn't taste like it at all. Glad I tried it but not sure if this style is for me.

3.37/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured a golden amber from a 12 oz. bottle. Lively head forms quickly, but dissipates quickly; leaves minimal lacing down the glass. Much yeast floating in the glass, more than most. Smelled more of grass, fruits, hops, but some sourness as well. Taste was nice, but more sour than what I look for in a Saison. Taste I found very similar to the Fantome variety more than the Dupont variety. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkablity for me is limited, as I prefer my Saisons a little drier and less sweet/sour than this one.

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

Bonus points for pirates.

Pours clear, straw color with a 1 finger white head. Good retention and snowfall lacing. Constant bubbles from the glass bottom and live yeast floaties.

Smells like wheat and pepper. Some orange rind.

Tastes of mild wheat into pepper spiciness. Heavy spice finish. Some orange syrup. A campfire brew? My first saison...I think I'm all set with this style, pirates and all.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle to a standard pint glass. Received from the micro of the month club.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with lots of flakes and a little white head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Very sweet and fruity with hints of banana cloves. Reminds me more of a wheat beer than other saisons I've tried.

Taste: Again, tastes more like a wheat than a saison, but still tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and would definitely recommend.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks goes out to mikereaser for this brew.

Pours a nice cloudy golden pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger foamy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. Then nose is malty, with some yeast, and bananna/coriander. The taste is malty/yeasty, very nice spice balance. Medium body. Drinkable, I like this one, not as much spice as other Saison I've had in the past.

3.56/5  rDev -3%

Red Sky at Night is the color of an overripe pear with a soft white head that mostly diminishes, leaving a woodgrain pattern. There are many white particles all through the glass. The lacing is OK. The aroma is fruity and spicy: banana, clove, gewurztraminer, possibly numeg, dough, and cider. It is medium bodied and crisp. The carbonation is sparse and sharp. It leaves the mouth a touch slick. It's a well-blended flavor, lightly bitter, tart and acidic. It does remind me of a gewurtztraminer, in fact. All of the aromas are incorporated in the flavor. The end of the taste is of starchy apple and a spot of butter-- almost salty. It's quite tasty. I wish I had a 750 mL bottle of this.
(rated Jul 28, 2007)

4.22/5  rDev +15%

Pours a clear golden orange color with a foamy white head that settles into a thin lace. Fruity aroma with hints of apple, pear, cloves, spice, banana and bread. Very crisp and quaffable with golden fruit flavor (apple, pear banana), spice, cloves, bread, cherries and strawberry.

1.46/5  rDev -60.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I guess the Saison style is just not for me. I got this in a beer of the month club and it was the first time I had ever tried this style

Poured into a Pint Glass

This beer certainly had a strong character, it has a distinct smell and flavor that I am sure many enjoy. I am new to microbrews and different styles - I am assuming that Saison is not for me.

Appearance - Yellow/Orange, hazy. I am sure this is the look the beer is supposed to have, but I did not care for it.

Smell - This was the biggest turnoff for me. Although there was a hint of fruitiness in the aroma, overall there was an overpowering aroma of yeast or something that just put me off.

Taste - Same as the smell, I just could not get past the flavor

Drinkability - I just dont think the Saison style is for me. I did not get any enjoyment from this beer. Just not my taste I guess, I would not try this one again.

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) from Heavy Seas Beer