Peg Leg Imperial Stout | Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Beer
Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Deep mahogany in color with aromas of roasted coffee, molasses and dark chocolate. Subtly hopped, making it astonishingly smooth and easy drinking for such a big beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-03-2004

Liked:
3.66/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,428 |  Reviews: 702

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

I love dark stouts and imperial stouts, though most i can only deal with their flavors and strength once a night. The drinkability, flavored notes, and tastiness of Peg Leg was more than enough that i could drink it all night long. The smooth coffee and chocolate flavors make this imperial stout one of my favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +32.5%

Strong aroma is rather sweet and has a definite overtone of rum-soaked wood, as well as caramel and malty notes. It pours a beautiful clear mahogany with a fairly thick and fluffy pale tan head. Sublime flavor has tones of rum, caramel, malt and wood, and is rather sweet but not cloying. Full-bodied, syrupy texture has just a little fizz, though. A truly satisfying beer to be sipped and savored.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

A: this pours black and since am color blind to red, I will take others word it has a ruby hue. Not much head, but nice lacing, in fact impressive lacing.

S: coffee, chocolate, aroma hops, sweetish hints

T: okay, others I think rate this low because of the name imperial, take out that word and let's rate the taste here. I love stouts and porters, and I have had many different brands, and have been disappointed with many due to lack of bold and aggressive flavors. This beer has a wonderful coffee hint but not too much like some. I can finally taste the hints of chocolate, it is full flavored, warming, medium lovely carbonation, smooth and very creamy. This is an alpha stout and I love it. It's one of this first stouts I had, then I sampled so many others thinking I would return to this and find the lack of quality, but I still appreciate this bold stout, and it is sweet, not dry like some other popular brands , not much hops here, but not bitter either.

M: smooth, creamy, slightly prickly carbonation.

D: okay, this is 8ABV and since it is heavy and somewhat sweet, I'd only have a few, but when I want a bold strong stout this will be one of the ones I go for. I will make sure there is always a few in the fridge.

Conclusion: maybe I am still an amateur beer reviewer, but taking the science out, and throwing in the taste and enjoyment. Of a strong stout, this is wonderful. Oddly I will always have a flying dog gonzo imperial stout available as well. Enjoy and give this a try.

4.7/5  rDev +28.4%

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%

I am sampling a 12 oz bottle of this beer poured into a pint glass.
The beer pours a dark chocolate brown and allows no light to pass through the glass.
A small tan edge layer of head is all that exists, but it seems to have staying power.
The aroma is lots of roasted malt and molasses, mild coffee notes and brown sugar as well. No hop presence or booze either.
First sip reveals an average body with silky texture and fine rolling carbonation, the mouthfeel makes this beer slide down the gullet easily.
Flavor is just what is expected, roasted malt and molasses, some brown sugar again and no real hop presence. Again the booze is very well hidden and this beer would easily sneak up on you and become rather dangerous. A nice Imp Stout!!

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great stout from Heavy Seas! Lots of flavor, toasty, chocolate, coffee, and a hint of tobacco.

4.54/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Poured into a snifter, it's pitch black with about a finger head which is retained for a decent amount of time.

Smell: Very nice! Dark chocolates with coffee. A very roasty sweet smelling stout!

Taste: Bitter dark chocolate is very up front with a touch of coffee. Very malty.

Feel: Could have more body for such a robust taste and aroma. But not bad.

Overall: Much better than I expected! Mixed sweet and bitter very nicely.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

My in-town trading partner, tone77, came through with some Heavy Seas beers recently and I am finding them very pleasant, especially in the face of so many AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers in support of The CANQuest (TM). I am anxious to see how this stacks up.

From the bottle: "Our Peg Leg Imperial Stout is done in the English style - focused on malt rather than hops. Devilishly dark yet surprisingly smooth. Luxurious with notes of coffee and dark chocolate."; "Clean Water Fund [-] A portion of the proceeds from each case of beer we sell goes to help CleanWater.org, a national organization dedicated to protecting the quality of the water we drink and the water we use to brew. Can't make great beer without clean water! Finds from the sale of this beer go back to the region where it was purchased."

My (probably) over-aggressive pour brought the head right up to the edge of the glass and I am sure that my Physics colleague would tell me that surface tension or some such was all that kept it from foaming over. It also set up what almost looked like a cascading action before settling into just over a finger of mocha-tan head with great retention. Color was an inky black with ZERO light penetration. It did not matter how I held this one up to the light, nothing was getting through. Nose was rich and roasty, like coffee and dark chocolate combined. The neck label mentioned "... notes of coffee and dark chocolate" also. I agree. Mouthfeel was smooth, not quite creamy, but very reminiscent of an N2 pour. The chocolatiness was prevalent on the tongue and in the mouth, but it was not as bitter as the nose led me to expect. Instead, it had a mild smokiness to it in combination with the chocolate. Finish was very smooth, initially with a dark chocolate flavor but giving 'way to a light roastiness. A very pleasant beer and one that would be excellent as a dessert beer.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours out a brownish black body with a large tan head that goes away rather quickly. The retention is very good, but has ok lacing and moderate carbonation. The smell is a nice roasted coffee and dark chocolate along with more dark chocolate. The taste starts out with some creamy coffee followed by some dark chocolate and roasted malts. The back of the mouth has a little bitterness to it, but overall the taste is well balanced. the mouthfeel is very smooth, creamy and silky feel in the mouth. This is a really really great beer to enjoy. Doesn't seem to be as full bodied as other Imperial Stouts I have tried, but still satisfying after one, even though two is always nice when it comes to a great tasting beer.This is going on my must have stout list, and I recommend anyone that likes stouts or imperial stouts to try this.

Peg Leg Imperial Stout from Heavy Seas Beer