Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA | Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.

Added by Higravity on 09-09-2005

Liked:
4.01/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,552 |  Reviews: 1,256
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow color with two fingers of head that fade slowly with a nice curtain of lace.

Aroma: A nice mix of caramel malt and citrus hop notes. Some faint hints of yeast and banana bread are in there too.

Taste: A sweet malt base that stays fairly prominent through-out with hop bitterness building towards the finish. The bitterness is a mix of earthy and more crisp, citrus rind notes. Finish is fairly fast, but a little lingering with some toasted, bready notes.

The Rest: Quite tasty. There's more malt presence in this compared to other IPA's I've been drinking lately and its a nice change-up. Great body, great balance, very good beer!

4.29/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice brew, it is on my top 10 favorites of all beer flavors, me the average guy that knows nothing about beer lingo. I do know what i like and Loose Cannon H(3) shoots right for my like button.

Amber colored, beautiful floral smell, little bit of head but that is not why you drink good beer i hope...what i'd expect from a good IPA, then that first taste starts as a traditional IPA, got that citrus flavor liking it then bammm...the grape fruit comes in with a hint of bitterness (love that)....the boys in Maryland got this one right.

this is a must try as it is somewhat cheaper than some of my favorite IPAs but very comparable in flavor and ABV.

This is one beer I am not uncomfortable about giving a perfect score. I am a HUGE fan of IPAs that lean toward citrus/grapefruit hoppiness. Loose Cannon fits that profile perfectly. I am one that tries new beers whenever I come across them. One of my local stores started carrying Heavy Seas beer and, on a whim, I bought a sampler 12 pack. Was I ever in for a surprise! I would have to say that Loose Cannon is definetly in my top 5 IPAs category. As a homebrewer, I can only dream about being able to come close to the flavor profile of this beer some day.

4.37/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- orangish amber color with a finger head and some lacing

S- nice citrus aroma with some grapefruit notes and some pine. A touch of the sweet mealtimes to balance

T- not as much citrus in the mouth as in the nose but still prominent. Nice malt sweetness to balance with some breadiness. Very drinkable with a fairly high abv, close to being an imperial in my opinion.

M- good full bodied American IPA with a nice carbonation

O- excellent American IPA with a beautiful citrus herbal hopiness and good malt balance. A new favorite of mine that I would highly recommend to anyone. Good job by Heavy Seas/ Clipper City

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%