Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA | Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.

Added by Higravity on 09-09-2005

Ratings: 3,545 |  Reviews: 1,255

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

So I'm admittedly a late comer to IPA's. It took me a while to get my pallet adjusted to the hoppieness that tends to follow. Floral and or Piney tones did not sound delicious. But as with everything it's an acquired taste, one that over the last year or so, I have definitely acquired.

That being said, this little number was for sale at my local carry-out/smoke shop. They do a pretty good job as far as carrying craft choices, and the entire family is rather friendly, and I have to admit, the daughter is easy on the eyes. But this isn't about THEM it's about this beer.

Poured yet again into a 16 oz tumbler, I know, I know. I need more glasses. Next Friday.

A: Vigorous pour produced a three finger, cream colored frothy head. Beer itself is a deep amber. Head retention itself was impressive, as while the first finger dissipated rather quickly, the other two remained throughout the beer itself.

S: Sweet floral tones, reminiscent of Honey Suckle and a warm spring day. A slight, potpourri like burn on the very end, perhaps the alcohol mixing with the added hops to say "hello, drink meI"

T: Smooth, flowery upfront with the familiar backbite from a hoppy, alcohol finish. To be honest while this was a pleasant tasting beer, it wasn't as complex as I imagined it would be.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Again smooth, but nothing that jumps off the charts or is readily eye opening.

O: Definitely a decent fairing beer, and while the taste and mouthfeel were fine, I feel they were overshadowed by the appearance and smell. It lead to a lot of hype that I felt the rest of the sampling couldn't live up to. I would buy again, though I feel there are other IPA's out there that would come first. Still a solid member to have in your rotation if these are your cup of tea.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a 1 finger head and very little lacing.

S: Mostly floral hops, some malt, bread, and alcohol. Not enough alcohol to warrant the smell.

T: Floral and citrus hop flavors, sweet malts, and alcohol. Balances pretty well actually.

M: Light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: I'm not too fond of the smell, but other than that it's a pretty good beer. It doesn't hide the alcohol as well as most IPA's with similar ABV's, but it's still easy to drink. I probably won't buy it again considering all of the superior options available, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Review from notes.

I poured this bottle into a hotel cup. That is the height of beer tasting.

The coloring is vibrant orange with a minimal head on top.

Off the top I get citrus and flowery hops.

The flavor is more citrus and some pineyness. At the end of each drink I get some herbal presence.

Overall a pretty good IPA.

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%