Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA | Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.

Added by Higravity on 09-09-2005

Ratings: 3,532 |  Reviews: 1,250

12 Oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a one finger bubbly head, decent retention.

S- Hops galore. A bit of pine and a ton of citrus. This smells like a pineapple and a mango with some fresh squeezed orange. Not funky or overly ripened at all so I think my bottle is fresh. A sweet sugary caramel backbone that sets it all off. Awesome stuff.

T- A big bite of citrus up front. Fresh mango and pineapple and orange. Very low bitterness considering the hop character shining through. A sugary light malty backbone that isnt quite as strong tasting as I would like it to be.

M- Easy to drink, moderate bitterness and average carbonation, a light character.

O- This is a prime example of what an american IPA should be. an in your face hop character, light body and above average ABV. If this beer had a bigger, more flavorful malt profile I think it would be about perfect. Awesome stuff

12oz. bottle poured into a tumbler

A- traditional yellow/copper/orange with a finger of white head that dissipated quickly, but left nice lacing down the glass.

S- Orange, apricot, and some biscuity/caramel malt notes.

T- Follows the nose. It's a very balanced IPA, and the hops aren't particularly bitter, but you certainly taste them. Big notes of orange and apricot with hits on grapefruit. The malts certainly are there to balance, and aren't an afterthought as in most West Coast IPA's.

M- Medium bodied with a more aggressive carbonation than most.

O- A very good, well crafted IPA, that I would certainly have again, but I have many other's I would have over this.

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%

Purchase by date of August, 2012.
Slow pour into a standard pint glass.

A: Nice, thick, two-finger head, but disapated fairly quickly. The brew is a copper color with an orange hue and very clear with some carbon bubbles raising through.

S: The aroma is grapefruit and citrus with some light floral and just a touch of sweetness.

M: Medium to light body, but not too much carbonation.

T: Lots of grapefruit with a little malt sweetness that fades to a hops bitterness and a touch of floral.

O: Big grapefruit hops blast that lasts thoughout. The big citrus blast makes it standout from the crowd. A nice take on an IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle poured into weizen, didn't have a shaker

Three finger off-white head: apricot yellow and dark brown

S: Hops, baby, and more hops!! I know this is hop cubed!!

Booze too!

T: Grapefruit, apricot, citrus, hop bitterness, slight booze

M: You know its a beer!!!

Overall, I'm going to have this again, ASAP!!

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

I put together a six-pack of IPA's the other night...so I've been sampling a variety.

Poured it into beer glass. The bottle said it was about a month past its sell-by date. Oh well...here goes.

The head disappeared pretty quickly.

I did not like my first sip of this. I guess I was expected more like the Western IPAs. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. It seemed really well balanced to me. The bitterness lingered long after I finished it but it didn't bite me like some IPAs. I tasted the fruitiness, but again, not as much as some.

I would buy this again, and I would definitely recommend it to someone who wants to try an IPA. It was hoppy, but not overpowering, ins spite of its name. :) I am a huge fan of IPAs and expected this one to be a bit more, of what I'm not sure. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. Sessionable.

First review, so I hope I did OK.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

This was a recent review I wrote of this beer on draft:

I've been curious about the Heavy Seas line of beers for a while and finally saw this at one of my local stores. I had to buy a sixpack but it ended up being well worth it. Very good ipa, typical of a east coast style it's a little dark and a little maltier in flavor than the east coast west coast versions. Very good color, aroma, flavor and mouthfeel. Worth getting if you see it.

---

I recently had it on cask at my local bar, who have been serving a lot of cask ales lately. It was good, like above, but not as good as some of the other cask ales I've had recently. Worth trying though.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.05/5  rDev +1%

A - Cloudy orange color. Nice head on the pour. White fluffy bubbles that stick around for a while. Great looking IPA.

S - Really nice smell on this one. Getting a lot of orange and a little sour lemon coming through as well. Definitely more citrus than pine. Hoppy but not really bitter smelling at all.

T - Delicious. A lot of citrus on the tongue with a nice bite at the back of the mouth. The aftertaste is very fruity and a little bitter; feels like you just ate a juicy grapefruit. Not a dry beer IPA at all. It's not as bitter as some extreme IPAs but hopheads will still be satisfied with this one - trust me.

M - Very wet and oily. Isn't so oily that it feels heavy but definitely leaves your mouth coated with the hoppy taste.

O - Mmmm. What an IPA. Im usually a fan of dry, super bitter IPAs like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo but I was definitely loving this wetter, fruitier version of a hopped up brew. At $8 dollars a six pack this is unbeatable in my opinion. DEFINITELY pick this up if you come across it.

Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA from Heavy Seas Beer