Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA | Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.

Added by Higravity on 09-09-2005

Ratings: 3,546 |  Reviews: 1,255
3.45/5  rDev -14%

Loose Cannon pours a ever so slightly cloudy orange amber with a beige head. The head is pretty small and fades quickly, but it leaves stubborn lace as I imbibe.

While the aroma doesn’t blow me away with a wave of hops, it is very pleasant with a lot of grapefruit, some pine and a nice caramel malt character. The sweetness blends well with the hops, but swirling and taking a deep sniff makes me worry that this may be a bit on the malty side.

With the first sip I find that my fears have been confirmed. This is a malt heavy double with a malt backbone that, despite what I picked up in the aroma, is not that interesting. There are some caramel notes for sure, but the malt flavor is predominantly that of pale malts. The hops are grapefruity and piney with a bit of earthy spice, but they are not potent enough for this brew. The hop bitterness is actually ample, but the flavor is lacking.

The mouthfeel is medium and feels a bit light for what I would expect in this style. It has a good amount of carbonation, but somehow comes off as being a bit watery. The finish is dry and mostly consists of hop bitterness.

I remember having this beer a couple years back and thinking it was pretty decent, so I am not sure if my tastes have changed or if the beer has been dumbed down. I cannot even blame it on age because this bottle appears to be quite fresh with a drink by date of August 2011. This is far from the worst double IPA I have ever had, but it is also far from the best.

4.11/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. Best before September 2011. From notes. Reviewed 16 June 2011.

A: Big two fingers of head. Dark brown at the core -- honey at the edges. In a pilsner glass (yeah, I'm drinking another as I type in this notes review), it's wholly translucent, with none of the dark centre visible. Lots of bubbles with good lacing.

S: Hops. Citrus. Vaguely astringent and reminiscent of Nelson Sauvin. Would that it were more prominent.

T: This doesn't taste as fresh as ones I've had in the past. Though it's been a year, maybe the recipe changed when Heavy Seas became Clipper City and this joined the "Pyrate Fleet." Soft, sweet, and lightly heavy. Grapefruit is sweet and pleasant.

M: Substantial and smooth. The carbonation wears off somewhat quickly, which works with the sweetish nature.

O: I know this is a good beer, and I'm rating it slightly higher accordingly. I've never had a bad bottle. Definitely recommended. Will drink again.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: clear orange body with a thin, slightly off white head with great retention and patches of lacing. Looks good.

Smell: resin, grapefruit, pineapple, and just general hoppy fruitiness. A bit of caramel malt but its in the background. Smells great.

Taste: tastes closer to a DIPA than a straight IPA. Big, hop resins with grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. The malt is there just enough to provide a little balance and lends a little sweetness to the beer.

Feel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, easy drinking and makes for an easy drinking beer considering the alcohol content.

Overall: pretty good IPA. A friend brought this over and I'm glad he did. While not really a hop bomb, its quite delicious and certainly worth a try. Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +8%

This has become one of my favorites. It pours with a decent head that disapates quickly, but does leave a nice lacing on the glass. The color is a clear copper. The hops come out in the aroma and immediately in the taste. As soon as it hits the tongue you get the hops and I find it to have a very nice finish.

As mentioned, this beer had become one of my favorites. I really enjoy the floral and citrus flavors that come thru.

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Sorry but I don't get the high rating for this brew. If you assess the IPA qualities, the beer touches all of the respects but is clearly not special in any one, let alone in totality. The nose is not at all flowert for the style. The color is OK and the head is typical. The mouch is below avereage and the finish, while a little hppoy, just is to subdued to be an IPA, let alone a pale ale.
Clipper City usually does better than this. A secondary note; I tried it at a cool room temp and a bit cooler and while some IPAs change character it didn't make much difference.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

[Best served in a Pint glass]

The pour was a medium cloudy amber with a slight yellow hue and had a huge white frothy head that was mostly lasting and produced really nice lacing that stuck to the glass right till the end.

The aroma was right up front with a strong dose of flowery hops, a mild moldy yeast, and just a splash of grain malts with notes of citrus (grapefruit) and a touch of peach.

It tasted ever so lightly sweet and mildly bitter with hints of peach and citrus in the beginning then it became a tad more on the bitter side with a nice spice note and a very pronounced hoppy finish that was left hanging on the palate for a good long duration.

Mouthfeel was kind of light in body and it was nice and dry in texture with the carbonation being very lively.

Overall a refreshing and rather tasty IPA with the 3 timed hop flavor actually working very well on the taste buds giving you full appreciation of this brew.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

A: The beer is clear copper in color and does not have any signs of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin yet dense head that took a long time to die down and left lacy patterns covering the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of citrusy hops in the smell.
T: Like the smell, the taste is very citrusy—grapefruit stands out in particular—and also has some hints of bready malts. There is a mild to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied, slightly crisp and somewhat smooth on the palate and has a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer does taste strong but isn’t difficult to drink because the taste is well balanced and the alcohol is mostly masked from the taste.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at the Taphouse on Queensway in Hampton, VA.

Appearance: Golden orange color with a one finger white head that dissipates fast, leaving some lacing

Smell: Hoppy, mostly grapefruit hops, but some other citrus, pine, and floral hops

Taste: A very balanced hoppy flavor, mostly grapefruit, but there are other citrus, pine, and floral flavors mixed in, with some balancing caramel malt sweetness. This has quite a bit of the aromatic hops, and not a whole lot of bittering hops. It manages to be very hoppy without being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation, very smooth

Overall: Quite good, I had it on a whim after a drinking buddy ordered it and liked it.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the Distillery in Savannah, GA as part of Maryland night. As a proud Terrapin, I was happy to be here, enjoying the hell outta some UTZ Crab Chips!

A - Pours a golden-orange with a thin white head that settles to a slight haze and ring.
S - Aromas of grapefruit, pine resin, and floral hops with a light caramel malt backbone.
T - Taste is similar to the nose, mostly grapefruit, pine resin, orange peel, and floral hops with a sweet caramel malt backbone and moderate bitter finish.
M - Smooth mouth-feel with a medium-thin body and sharp carbonation.
O - A solid IPA, but noting too memorable.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Had on tap @ Harry's Pub in the Marriot, Wardman Park: this will be brief. I had at the end of 18 hours of travel, so I might be a little lazy or inaccurate with this one: so sue me.

A: arrived to me as a golden ale with sincered clarity. Nice single finger of head (hard to determine the head possibilities provided the beer is ice cold and served from the tap, therefore, likely served to me to have the most volume). Nice ringed lacing.

S: Lemony zest up front. Followed thru by plenty of other citrus fruits and a healthy dose of grainy malt to follow up. Light and crisp as an IPA nose goes.

T: A hare on the sweet side (east coast IMO). The hop characters continue to retain a diverse, fruity approach with lemons, grapefruits and hints of mango. A bit sweet as I said, but nowhere near something like DFH.

M: Medium body with moderate carb. Mouthfeel is uneventful.

O: I finished a pint and had to resist a second. If that were the only qualifier, this beer would be a hit! Seriously though, good, quality brew - I'm glad to start off on the right foot here in DC.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a pint glass from bottle.

A: Burnt orange almost a light carmel color.Decent amount of head. (Yet to see lacing :)

S: Surprisingly the first thing that hits me is some biscuity malt. Then I smell lemony grass like hops aromas. Smells pretty good really.

T: You can immediately tell this has something too it. Sweet carmely malts. Deep and somewhat biscuity. The are hops there and they remind me of a lemony taste. I almost feel like there should be more of a punch like I've got another old bottle of IPA. It's the end of May and this says drink before September. Still, this beer is very good.

M: Tiny bubbles dissolving slowly in the middle of your tongue. It also leaves with with a nice wet creamy sensation after a minute or so. Very enjoyable.

O: This is a good beer. Something I'd get a 6 pack of. I'm sure I've had it before and liked it. There's so many good IPA's out there to put in the regular 6 pack lineup, I'd consider adding this one into the rotation.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Seems like this summer I've become hooked on IPAs. I picked up the Loose Cannon at the local beer store because of the little ratings sheet and because I'd never had it before. Overall it's a good beer. Refreshing and easy to drink after a hot day, which is exactly what I think an IPA should be.

It keeps a thin head and has an attractive golden red color. Good smell, nice taste. My only knock against this beer (why I gave it a 4 instead of 5) is that it's a little sweet for my liking. Not that this is a sweet beer, but compared to other IPAs I've had recently like the 21st Amendment IPA or Bell's Two Hearted the Loose Cannon has a little sweetness that I find less attractive. As the beer warms, it becomes more pronounced, so I guess I should drink faster.

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The label is not notched so I cannot tell when the best by date is.

Pours a copper color with plenty of carbonation, decent white to off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly. A bit of lacing on the glass but not much. Orange/citrus aroma, flowery and planty as well. Some caramel malt mixed in. Nicely sweet flavor, fruity, citrusy, caramel malt. Medium body, not too bitter and pretty well balanced. Not a bad beer but it's about as generic as an IPA can get I think. Nothing stands out in it really.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Clipper City's Loose Cannon, 12oz's into pint. Pours a deep gold hue with 1/2" off white head. Smells of standard pale & crystal, with a good dose from Simcoe's and Cascades. Citrus resinous hop aroma dominates. Tastes rather sweet for me, but the dose of hops are very present doing their thing. Mouthfeel is medium, with a coating thickness across the tongue. Overall I think this beer is pretty good, with multiple AIPA quality's. On the other hand, I think the (Hop3) thing is just a marketing ploy. I usually make IIPA's & AIPA's with seven or eight hop additions, plus 2-3 dry additions in the secondary, so I look at the whole thing like Miller's stupid triple hop bs. Anyhow, I would recommend this beer with spicy bhut jolokia burgers, like the one I just had =).

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Okay, let's just get it out there: i am not a fan of huge Ameican IPAs. As a rule they arre unbalanced, outlandishly bitter and alcoholic. They are studies in purely boorish power, with no hint of finesse. Which brings me to why I am such a fan of Loose Cannon!

This beer pours with the somewhat translucent orange-amber I expect from the breed, with a constrained but persistent head. Then one applies his nose and wham! Wow! Beautifully rich fresh-baked-cookies malty toasty-sweetness beautifully entwinted with equally fresh, orange-and-pineapple fruit. Balanced and seductive.

The flavor meets heightened expectations. Fruit and sweet play off against juicy-tangy and tongue-scouring bitter,but all resolve into a clean, enduring finish.

Body is medium full. With a dry bitter finish that doesn't pucker or deaden the tongue. Carbomation is moderately high, adding lots of tongue ticklimg prickles without drowming out the chorus of malt wnd hops.

This is a big beer, but y o means ovrwhelming. Very nicely balanced, ith a flavorful focus on freshness. Delicious!

And just when I thought I had finally found my ideal American IPA, I got handed a glass of cask-comditioned, dry-hopped Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale. Be still my heart!

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

On draft, plastic cup Orioles Park at Camden Yards. After walking around, I found this on tap at the Pickled Pub on Eutaw Street, by far the best beer in the stadium. Nice orange color, little head due to serving vessel, but nice crisp clean mouth feel.

Nice use of hops, they hit you up front then mellow out, very nice balance. I could have had these all day, but I was in a suite where all they have was Bud LIght, so I stuck to water, until I found a Flying Dog IPA on the councourse. Flying Dog was not nearly as good.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pour this 12oz bootle into a pint glass, and it produced a 1 and half finger head of foam that quickly dissipated to a thin film. Coppery orange color

S-hops for sure, piney/citrus.

T- some of that bitterness from the hops, some toasted quality

M- light and smooth, perhaps a bit light for the strength of the hops than I was expecting.

O- A good IPA, though almost a bit too hoppy for balance than I would like, personally.

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

A 4 - Golden-orange pour from bottle with a creamy off white 1/2 finger head that leaves a nice bubbly lace on the glass.

S 4.5 - pleasant citrus hoppy aroma, not too powerful.

T 5 - Great citrus up front with light bitterness on the finish that balances smoothly with the maltiness. Does a good job hiding the 7.25% abv

m 4.5 - Full but smooth mouthfeel on the way down, good carbonation.

Overall 4.5 - I am really fickle with my IPA's and most I tend to steer away from. This beer is a good gateway IPA and made me have a new appreciation for the style. One of my favorite beers to date.

3.67/5  rDev -8.5%

Part of the Heavy Seas mix 12 pack.
Poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.
Best By: July 2011

Appearance: Golden body with a one half finger head that recedes quickly.

Smell: Nice citrusy and bitter hops. Smell doesnt jump out at me but it is a pleasing scent.

Taste: Nice and juicy, maybe a little too much malt in the end of the sip. Good but not great.

Mouthfeel: To style mediumj bodied and good carbonation.

Overall: I wouldnt go out of my way to purchase this. When I first started getting into IPAs I really liked this a lot more. Not to say it is not good now but I have found plenty of IPAs in the same price range I would prefer to this. Worth getting if you see it!

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A- 4 Nice looking clear golden color with a bit of an orange tint. There's a big creamy off-white head on the pour that settles to a fine, uniform layer through the drink. Ultra smooth tiny bubbles lace the walls and leave spotty sticky remains all over. The carbonation is visible as bubbles dance inside the glass.

S- 4.5 The big hop combo in this brew combines to form a hoppy, citrusy scent that lasts but a few seconds. This turns to a sweeter floral aroma. Very nice blended smell shooting from the Cannon.

T- 4.5 Much like the aroma, the Loose Cannon tastes nicely balanced, with a hoppy grapefruit right up front that is followed by a moderate malt sweetness that keeps the hops just in check.

M- 4 This brew feels crisp going down and smooth on the finish. It is just a little sticky and not as creamy as I'd like, but the carbonation is sufficient. Leaves a dryness behind.

D- 4.5 A great IPA is what I think I'll call the Loose Cannon. Intrigued by its name and label, and being a fan of the style, I thought I should give this a shot. I'm sure glad I did; I will definitely buy this again. Although its color could be more exciting, it has a wonderful bubbly action and ultra smooth, sticky head. It really packs a punch with its floral and citrus aroma that had me wanting to dive right in, and the flavor doesn't disappoint. It was tasty and balanced. Although slightly dry, I could put down several of these bad boys. The dryness just makes me want more! I will definitely get this brew's name out there to my friends.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Nice orange hue out of a the bottle, small head but nice lacing down the glass. Strong citrusy hops on the nose with a light, but present, backbone of malts.

Strong, bitter hops with a great citrus and piney flavor. Really not much else going on with it, but the bitterness is pleasant and leaves a bitter feel to the mouth. Very easy to drink too, even though its on the acidic side. Carbonation is average, working well with the beer. Decent beer, a solid IPA, even if it isn't anything crazy.

I've enjoyed most of what I've had from these guys so far. Good local brewery.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

A : pours a honey gold with a huge white head, little lacing.

S : lots of vibrant citrus hops on the first sniff. An underbelly of freshly baked bread and a grassy hop ending.

T : Starts sweet and smooth then hits with an immediate hop flavor of slight citrus mixed with earthy mustiness. The sweetness follows again, same as before, then ends quickly with a good tingly hop that lingers. Only a bit of bitterness despite the loads of ranged hop flavors.

M : easy going and nicely carbed.

Pretty good beer. Very little alcohol present for a near imperial and the bitterness (what little there is) is well blended. The hop lingers with a bit of bitterness and the sweetness is very enjoyable because it blends throughout with the different hop flavors. I like it and would certainly buy it again.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

appearance: pours a deep golden color, clear with dense bits of sediment floating throughout; carbonation is more-than-moderate, with white foam that says just about as thick as the lacing.

smell: hops are light and piney, undertones of citrus are also present.

taste: begins mellow and fresh, leading into a well-hopped taste that is on the more piney side, finishing just as mellow as it begins with a light hop bitter lingering.

drinkability: an IPA on the lighter side, definitely a beer you can enjoy a few of, could stand to have a bit higher abv and hop characteristics, but still very drinkable despite.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured in a perfect pint glass.
Thin head reduces quickly.
- good lacing throught the experience.
- has a decent pine light hop prescense
taste - very good- starts with the citrus hop lite pine, a rich taste with a full mouthfeel!
-mouthfeel- rich and full
- overall- one of the best full flavored AIPA's it's not super hoppy but very well balenced great tasting and leaves you wanting more!
Careful the 7.25% will get ya!
This is one of my favorite AIPA's !!!!

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Am in the mood for a new IPA so I snagged a 6-pack of this at Harrington's today ($10.95). Fresh-dated for purchase by Aug of 2011. Here goes...

Poured the first bottle into a nonic, and the result was a clear, medium-golden liquid possessing a steady stream of carbo. The head was off-white and thin, though a lasting layer remains and laces up the glass well. Aroma is on the citrussy side with suggestions of piney/resiny action. Medium-bodied, the feel on the tongue is fairly smooth, with some light, airiness lessening the load.

A bit of toasty malt is present, lending some mild sweetness to the mix. Hops are dominant and lay heavily on the palate. Citrus is most notable, with some grapefruit, a little pineapple, and some tangerine present. The expected resiny, piney action follows closely behind. A pithy character with hints of apricot lasts long and hard after the bier has settled into the stomach. The hopping hitting the tastebuds starts slowly and builds towards the finish. The 7.25% ABV is well-hidden, also. Quite flavorful and pleasing; a bier I'd consider buying more of.

Prosit!!