Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) | Heavy Seas Beer

good
Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)

Heavy Seas Beer
Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by Jaynuze on 03-12-2007

4.68/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +27.9%

I tried this beer at the Clipper City Brewery this past weekend. They had it on tap and I would have to say that it is one of the best strong beers that I have ever tasted.

The beer comes out of the tap as a nice crimson reddish brown color with a small copperish head. It has a fruity/spiced smell. The taste has these subtle hints of fruit and spice with a smooth finish.

This beer is very drinkable esepcially for a 9-10% ABV beer. After the brewery tour, I bought a six pack to take home and enjoy.

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%

Clipper city brewing, heavy seas, Holy Sheet uber abbey ale. Yep, that's a mouthful, and so is this beer.

Coming from just outside of Baltimore, Clipper City has made some serious headway in the world of craft beer. Their Loose Cannon has become one of the most popular craft beers in our store, and their seasonal are always worth grabbing.

This brew tonight is their limited Holy Sheet "uber abbey ale". At about 9% abv, its definitely going to be uber something. It pours out a dark amber color, with medium head. The foam is unusually tiny bubbles, but fades quickly. At nine percent alcohol, I'm not surprised by how quickly the foam disappears.

The Holy Sheet smells like a malt bomb, and I'm getting excited! My first sip reveals tons of complexity, malty goodness, and a little bit of booziness. I'm getting flavors of toffee and caramel, with plenty of sweet malty flavors like vanilla and honey.

The Holy Sheet reminds me of a blend of two of my favorite beers, the Chimay Grande Reserve and Delirium Nocturnum. Medium to full bodied, a bit on the boozy side, with just the right amount of malty sweetness. I'm a big fan of the Holy Sheet, I recommend it highly.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown color with ruby hues. Has a large, frothy head that dissipates down to a nice cap quickly and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of candy malts and dark fruits. Has a bit of floweriness to it as well.

Taste: Fruity and slightly bitter up front. Devleops a sweet, fruity, and malty finish. Has only the slightest booziness at the end; there's really no way you'd know that this is a 9% ABV beer without checking the bottle.

Mouthfeel: A little light-bodied for a Belgian but still very pleasing.

Overall: A superbly done Belgian beer. Fruity, flowery, and malty. It is also extraordinarily drinkable for a Belgian beer. The alcohol is effectively masked by the flavors and it has a lighter-than-average body. In a word, delicious...

4.38/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this bomber bottle out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours an opaque brown hue with red highlights and white head that quickly dissipates leaving a nice trail

S: Strong sweet malty aroma that is on the spicy side with hints of caramel.

T: Rich sweet ale with Belgian yeast and brandy background. Caramel with background with a slight alcohol burn.

M: Thick body and medium carbonation.

O: Phenomenal take on a abbey style Belgian Brew. Great flavors and aroma.

4.38/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. This is a beautiful fucking beer. I have had 4 of these tonight and am pretty tipsy. And $9 for a 6 pack of these is an amazing price. This might be the greatest tasting beer I've had thus far. I get an aftertaste of peanuts. Very good tasting brew. Try this beer at room temp at first. My first bottle was at room temp because I didn't feel like waiting on it to chill, and it was better than the colder beers I had later. Try this beer as room temp, it is so delicious. This is definitely my favorite beer I've had to this day. Fucking amazing. I'm sad I bought the last 6 pack of this.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

A: pours a clouded mahogany into an american shaker with two inches of khaki hockey puck for a head.

S: heavy malts, biscuit, toffee, prunes and figs.

T: right up front there is prunes, figs, and rum soaked raisins. There is an earthy malt and biscuit backbone with a bit of citrus and heat behind it all.

MF: heavy, great effervescence and a bit dry at the end.

O: amazing beer, but I like it fresh from the tap or bottle as a personal preference. The cask doesn't do a whole lot to help this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

There are already a great number of in-depth reports by BAs more qualified than myself so I will take a different tact.

This is a bridge beer, a transitional beer, from the craft to the Belgian. It is absolutely the perfect medium between an excellent Brown ale and an excellent Belgian ale (single).

For those of you/ us that are looking for a less expensive peek behind the curtain of what the great Belgians are all about this is it. Reasonably priced, tasting malty, sweet and dark fruity.

All good. Get some!

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a medium to dark brown with surprising opacity. A decent head at pour persists fairly well. Some spotted lacing present on the glass.

S: Malty and sweet. Alcohol presence on the nose.

T: Really sweet and lots of malts. Taste of syrup but nice.

M: Thick with a creaminess to the carbonation.

O: Nicely done dubbel.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice style glass.

A: Deep ruby brown in color with a smooth off white head, dissipating to just a creamy layer hovering on the surface. Lacing was fair.

S: Sweet fig, dates, brown sugar, caramel malts. No discernible hops that I could detect.

T: Flavors are much like they smell. Malty goodness with flavors of dark fruit and candied sugar. Although there is some sweetness going on here on the palate, the brew is not totally sweet, and in fact, there is a hint of dryness toward the finish. The finish is largely malty fruit, but is clean, with a little bit of warmth in the linger.

M&D: Full and satisfying mouthfeel but not heavy. Carbonation is light and creamy making for one wicked smooth experience. Although there is some warmth in the finish, this still goes down way too easy and could sneak up on you in no time. Beautiful brew and highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Love a good Belgium Dark and this is no exception.
Pours a dark amber with a smallish white head that melts to merely a faint ring rather quickly.

Aromas are straight from Belguim...Belguim yeasts, dark fruits, sweet candy malt and just a hint of alcohol.

Taste is smoothly dark candied sugars, dark roasted malts, and again the dark fruits like plums, prunes, and dark raisins. No hint of alcohol in the taste...nothing hot here, just sweet.

Aftertaste becomes immediately drying and the sweetness reduces to nothing rather than leaving a cloying stickiness in your mouth.

Like it...as most Belgium Dark ales...I like what they did with this one...as with most Heavy Seas Brews.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter

Appearance: Pours amber brown that turns to a dark amber once settled in the glass. The head is a thin fawny layer that subsides to a swirl coating almost like whips of clouds on a sea of beer

Smell: There is little odor coming from this beer, aside from a fruity alcohol wafting into my nostrils there are hints of dark malts and spice.

Taste: Opening this beer "holy Sheet" Über abbey style ale I was preparing myself for an all out assault on my senses! I was expecting a complex beer, with a prevalent yeast, and an alcohol content to keep me warm in the coldest of winter months. After taking a drink the most prevalent thing I notice from this beer is a dry mouth. However, there is a sweetness of fruit (raisin, prune, fig) and caramel malt with hints of toasted grain and an interesting burnt character. A very subtle hop essence works almost in harmony with the drying effect of the alcohol to create a delightful flavour/experience. The yeast adds a hint of spiciness, as the beer warms towards room temperature the fruit soaked alcohol aroma becomes more established in the flavour of the beer leading to a pleasing contrast of spicy notes and fruity alcohol aroma. I love the finish of sweetness, almost like a red wine I had earlier this evening.

Mouthful: Carbonation is precise to the claims on the bottle, along with the warming effect of the alcohol the beer brings about a sense of drying. This is not unpleasant but could affect the drinkability of this beer.

Drinkability: A great beer to keep you warm on a chilly day. I enjoy what was done with this beer but there seems to be a discrepancy in it's advertised style. I would not consider this a Belgian Strong Dark Ale; I would consider this more of an American interpretation of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Personally I would drink this beer all night, I enjoyed what Clipper City has done with this beer!

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my chalice from a 12 oz bottle. Hmmm, no head. Maybe it's the strength of this one, but I like my BSDA's to have a really nice, tall, frothy head. The smell is mainly bready yeast and super sweet maltiness. This one might still have a chance with me...
The taste is really good. Full body, just a touch of the alcohol at the end but otherwise very well hidden. As the beer warms it takes on quite a boozy taste and mouthfeel, though. I prefer it cooler than warmer. Complex malts and smooth bitter-sweet flavor. It doesn't have the thick body or head of a good Belgian, but it sure tastes like one. I'd say this is definitely a drinkable beer.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured a deep ruby/burgundy color with an off white head that hung around a couple minutes. The head left no lacing as it dissipated. Smelled really sweet. Alcohol was prominant but not overwhelming. It tastes great. Drank it along with a grilled ribeye and mushrooms. The sweetness settles down as it warms a bit. Good clean mouthfeel with no aftertaste. Very drinkable beer though you will want to space them out because they're not year-round.

4.27/5  rDev +17%

I'm really not sure why the lack of love for this one. I found it to be well done and very authentic Belgian in nature, especially for a regional brewery on the East Coast...
Appears a semi-transparent mahogany hue of garnett amber with a small, light tan head that slowly fades into a spiraled cap and mild collar. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of doughy banana nut bread with caramel, melanoiden malt, raisins, brown sugar...reminds me a bit of Chimay Red.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with complex, yeasty dough, rich caramalized malt(Special B?), and a touch of cocoa. The yeast is the real "bread winner" of this beer making it complex and delicious.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sweet up front, bready, with raisin sweetness sliding along the tongue and into a lip smacking finish.

Well done brew. I hope they decide to keep it in the lineup for a long time b/c I would put it up there with both Chimay Red, as well as New Belgian Abbey.

Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) from Heavy Seas Beer