Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) | Heavy Seas Beer

good
Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)

Heavy Seas Beer
Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by Jaynuze on 03-12-2007

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Dark brown but very clear - no head. Smells like sugar/alcohol. Tastes like, well, brown sugar, I guess. And alcohol. I should give it higher marks, here, 'cause the wife likes it so much, but, well, I just can't. Sorry. It's really too bad, too, given how much I enjoy others of the heavy seas series. Hmm. Maybe I'll have to check my scores and rereview them or something. This one just doesn't do it for me.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Stunning amber body with a thin white ring and nice carbonation.

Belgian candi sugar and cherry.

Yeasty,cherry cough syurp,no hop flavor at all.

Mouthful is cloying and sweet,pretty easy on the carbonation.

Not much to say about this beer.Its no belgian in my book and I like this brewery alot but this is my least favorite beer from them.This beer falls flat.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Dark reddish color, semi-transparent, one finger thick head that faded to a thin lacy ring

S- Scotch malts, sweet, dried fruit, caramel, flowery, hint of alcohol

T- Toasted grains, caramel, dark fruits, slightly burnt malts, clove, bite of alcohol at the end

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, tart, very complex, warming feeling

D- Worth trying

I'm not normally in to Belgian Dark Strong Ales but I do like this one. After a while you really start to taste the alcohol.

2.83/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, notched JUL 08
Pours a very clear caramel color with a thin head of tan bubbles. Aroma of brown sugar with a bit of plumb. Taste is mixed overripe fruit, plumb and apricot, with a somewhat harsh character. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the harshness is similar to other beers (and homebrews) that use a bit too much refined sugar and ferment a bit too hot. Hot alcohol lingers long into the aftertaste. Hot and unpleasant the longer I sip it. Very drying.
Sorry Hugh.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer pours a reddish brown darkness into the glass. The head starts a big cream colored blob, then dissolves into a small ring around the glass. There is some decent, small-bubbled lacing.

The smell starts a little grainy for the style, but continues into a nice estery belgian. The yeast really take a deserved front seat in this brew.

The taste follows the nose here, the start is a bit of sour caramel flavors that are immediately balanced by a sweetness and the ripe fruit from the yeast. nice.

The mouthfeel is nice, medium carbonation, the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

I could drink quite a few of these, my first went down rather quickly for 9 percent. be careful.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow fruity is one thing that came to mind with my first sip. Also the aroma was that of holiday spiced punch. The taste is that of dark cherries and black grapes with a bitter aftertaste after the bubbles die down. The appearance is a honey colored reddish/brown with a small white head that this appears leaving a lace trail very quickly. The warmth from the alcohol warms the tongue like hot coals warm a pot while sudz make the tongue tingle. This beer is noticeably heavy in its punch (almost made me shout "Holy Sheet!" and I don't think I could knock back more then one in a night.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a maple syrup brown color with some rimming of beigeish head.
Smells got some malt syrup character maybe some brown sugar.
Taste definitely has the very sweet malts, and some sugary, thicker bodied quality.
Finish is just a tad dirty, but pretty clean with a solid sugar/syrup after-taste.
Drinks very smoothly. The malts really make the body drinkable.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to MrRetardedMonkey for the bottle.

Poured into a steamless wineglass.

Pours out a Dark Amber color with little head.

First taste bings out the carbination which is high. Other than the high carbination, this is pretty much a basic Belgian Stong Dark.

Drinkability is good. If it was Sold in Texas, I'd buy it.

I'd like to say more, but I just committed the worst of all fouls and spilt my glass. Now I'm too mad to go on.

Pray for me.

4.68/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

Attractive enough on the pour, with a clear, dark cherrywood color and a small amount of quickly-fleeting head. The smell is in-your-face strong and sweet but nonetheless nuanced a bit by dark fruit, brown sugar, and alcohol. In the taste, though, the strong vs. nuanced battle is tipped decidedly toward the strong. Very sweet and alcoholic in the way that cough syrup is. I think there was some spice trying to work its way in, but I couldn't drink more than a couple swallows of this. I like hefty Belgian ales, but this one doesn't work for me. Mouthfeel is full and chewy, but I don't want this taste to linger. Rare is the time I pour any beer down the drain, but I quickly fled this one in favor of a better example of the style.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

from a suggestion from the BeerMan777..cheers.
popped this cherry into several oddly shaped glasses shared amongst friends departing for the spring, summer, and maybe longer. there is longing in this glass, a deep red and foamy longing, the carbonated blood of brothers. oh and it smells like our blood too. candied raisin booze (why my blood is such a hit at the bank) and sultry notes of caramel. shoulda maybe sat on this one for a few months but i just got the shit! i gotta open a bottle of something. if i ever get another one, i'll treat her righter. til then, she's a hot lass full of potential...ready for babies. hot candy babies.

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a light Plum color with a big puffy head that settles down into a nice 1 inch top. Good lacing thruout. Not much of an aroma, a little dark fruit smell. Taste echoes the dark fruit. A little spice and raisins, a little of the belgian funk. Still not a great flavor. Its an ok try at the style but lacks that deep candied fruit flavor you get in other Belgian darks. Its easy to drink and the booze is hidden well. So overall an ok brew.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Just an one finger head, not a good start, but the color is nice, rating a 19 on the SRM beer color chart. Clear and lots of micro bubbles. Smell is that of caramel, pineapple, mango, raisins, butterscotch, and malt. The taste is rich and full, with flavors of raisians, mango, pineapple, caramel, toffee, coco, butterscotch, figs, molasses, lime, and malt. Mouthfeel is good with a full body and creaminess. Overall I like this beer, although a little syrupy and a little sweet. Would make a great desert beer, or a welcome to my place offering.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

bottle says purchase before august 2007

Pours a clear dark caramel brown with a small head that quickly dissipates into a nice ring, but no lacing as i drink.

Smell is sweet and boozy.. the only thing that overpowers the boozy smell is the malt.

I wanted to taste some belgian breadiness in the flavor, but all i get is the malt front and finish of astringent alcohol. I can taste all 9% of the alcohol, and if i didnt know it i would say it was more in the 10-12% range.. not well hidden at all. No hops to speak of, just alot of caramel malt. If it didnt say on the bottle that it was belgian i would not have guessed.

Heavy mouthfeel and drying astringent alcohol after swallowing.

Too heavy on the alcohol to be a good session beer. One of these was enough for me. Glad i tried it, but there are way too many good Belgian Strong Ales to revisit this one, even if it were local to me. Cool name though!

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

I have to deduct right off the head..when you are dealing with a belgian style, I want the head to be overpowering. This one disspated into a crown before I could sit down, with no hint of lacing. Liquid is fine though, looks a reasonably thick red.

Scent is sweet, bready, light clove. Good!

Taste is similar to smell but a bit strong for my tastes. Can't fault it as it pertains to style though. Clove, bread, a little heat.

Mouth is a bit thick and flat for this style.

I'm going to have a difficult time finishing this.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a dull brown with hints of orange and some burnt red. Pours with a one-inch cream, light tan head.

S: Lots of raisin, prune, dark cherry, and other dark fruit flavors. Lots of sweet notes, brown sugar.

T: Taste is a lot like the smell, although the malts are much more noticable. Picking up a little spice or almost a green, spruce flavor mid-taste. Finish is sweet, a slightly burnt caramel.

M: Body is medium, although a touch on the sticky side. Carbonation is lively up front, but finishes more towards the flat side.

D: The more I try to carefully evaluate the beer, the more I'm not a big fan of the flavor components. On the surface though, this isn't a bad beer or hard to drink, except the high alcohol levels.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

A: pours a clouded mahogany into an american shaker with two inches of khaki hockey puck for a head.

S: heavy malts, biscuit, toffee, prunes and figs.

T: right up front there is prunes, figs, and rum soaked raisins. There is an earthy malt and biscuit backbone with a bit of citrus and heat behind it all.

MF: heavy, great effervescence and a bit dry at the end.

O: amazing beer, but I like it fresh from the tap or bottle as a personal preference. The cask doesn't do a whole lot to help this beer.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into wide-mouthed wine glass, the color of this brew can be easily summarized - brown. A heavy pour revealed little in the way of head - less than a pinky, off-white, dissipated quickly with a soda-like snap, crackle and pop.

Lots of cherry to the nose. Candied dark druits. Some chocolate. A hint of spice as well as boozniess. Also some levity, for lack of better term, from yeast. Side note: after finishing my beer, the glass reeked of ethanol.

Considering the lack of head, it has a decent bit of carbonation, even some prickliness and bite. Medium bodied, chewy feel.

Oh, yeah, I love the name, too.

Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) from Heavy Seas Beer