Heavy Seas - Pale Ale | Heavy Seas Beer

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

2.5/5  rDev -26%

2.5/5  rDev -26%

2.54/5  rDev -24.9%

Visual: Clear golden color with an eggshell white head as initially as thick as meringue. SRM of 7.

Aroma: I don’t smell any hop at all, rather only a lightly roasted malt smell. On a big long draw there is a hint of prune like sweetness slightly discernible. I’m sorry to say but I also smell a tiny whiff of a metallic smell.

Taste: I taste the slight maltiness. But what really stands out is an earthy note that I don’t care for. It is an earthy note that transforms at the finish to a slight metallic taste. Not so much that I think the beer is bad… but I find myself wishing I had grabbed something different.

Mouth Feel: It looks like it would have plenty of carbonation but it seems a little flat. I gave it a fairly aggressive pour, so maybe I released a bit too much carbonation up front. I’m willing to take the blame for the relative flatness of this beer.

Drink-ability: I would not want more than one of these. Not because it is overwhelming or anything, just because it seems bland to me. This beer is mild (and flat) enough that I think I could Beer Bong it, except it is too expensive for that.

Impressions: I’m not a big fan of this one. I’ll probably buy another single at some point to give this a second chance because I’m not usually this disappointed in stuff from Clipper City / Heavy Seas… then again it has been a while since I had anything from them.

Serving Type: Out of a bottle, into a pint glass.

2.74/5  rDev -18.9%

notched best by may 2011

pours golden copper with 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smells of grassy hops and a touch of caramel malt

taste is just like the nose but there is a funky metal flavor that just ruins any pleasure i might get from sipping this

mouthfeel was spot on - light and crisp

overall - again the taste of metal made me drain pour most of this

2.79/5  rDev -17.5%

I really enjoy pale ales. This pale ale has left me yearning for more. It pours a beautiful crystal clear amber with a half inch of head. The smell is almost nonexistent in this pale ale, although a small amount of citrusy hops comes through. The flavor is extremely mild with a moderately dry finish. The hops are mild and earthy and there is a fairly moderate malt backbone to this beer. Yes, I used a lot of words that indicate this beer is average and maybe a little sub par. This beer rings in at a solid 5/10. Not bad, but just does not satisfy my hop craving.

2.82/5  rDev -16.6%

A little darker than I expected, think dark bronze. Filtered, no head.

Flowery, citrusy smell; nothing jumps out at you.

Not much flavor, only slight citrus notes.

Lacking flavor, the slight bitterness in the finish is the only thing to report. Not overly bitter, but that's the only thing that grabs you.

Not much character. Lacks smell and flavor, and only slight bitter doesn't make for much of a pale ale.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance - copper, clear with 1 finger head. Decent lacing

Smell - some bread and pine notes. Fairly light scents

Taste - Hop crisp finish. Some flavorings at end that also have adjunct flavors of corn/grain. Some lingering bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - ok

Overall - A very average pale ale in my book. Lacks positive flavors and has bitter aftertaste. Its still drinkable, not session worthy.

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I had this on tap at BWI, so I don't know, maybe take this with a grain of salt because I might be predisposed against anything that happens there. I guess I just felt that even for a pale ale, it could've been stronger. I'd have liked more hops and more bitter. The color was a strange, slightly hazy orange. Consider giving it a try I guess in case the setting biased me against the beer.

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

Beer of the Month club

Poured a medium copper with a small off white head that dissipated rather quickly.

Other than a mild citrus aroma nothing stood out.

The citrus dominated the taste with a slight hop finish.

Light to medium body beer with a slight crispness.

This beer didnot stand out to me and was an average pale ale at best.

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
A: Transparent amber. Very, very thin head.
S: Roasted malts, a bit nutty, but also a bit musty.
T: Very nutty, sweet malt with some caramel. Thin/bland towards the end, taste does not linger. No noticeable hops.
M: Pleasant at first, but like the taste, ends thin/bland and unimpressiive.
O: Meh. I've had far better (including from Clipper City, as I love the Loose Cannon) but also worse.

2.99/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass mug. Best by Dec 2010 notched on front label. Heavy Seas Sunken Sampler 12-pack purchased at Harris Teeter (Charlottesville, VA) for $14.99.

A: Burnt amber with soft 1-2 finger off-white head with good retention and decent lacing.

S: The nose is pretty slim with some pale and crystal malts and herbal, floral hops.

T: Tea-like with gentle herbal English ale hoppiness and mostly pale maltiness without much character.

M: Slick and easy to drink with low-medium carbonation and minimal herbal hops aftertaste.

D: Average amongst average -- uninspired and thankfully half of the sampler is very solid stuff.

2.99/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a nice golden orange with quarter inch white head. Little aroma, faint floral and citrus notes. Very pale ale to say the least. Little flavor. Mellow amounts of toasted malt, a bit of caramel and the slightest amount of apple to start. Finishes with a tiny bit of floral hops and lemon zest. Under carbonated and light mouthfeel. Not a bad pale ale and certainly refreshing, but not much character to the taste.

Heavy Seas - Pale Ale from Heavy Seas Beer