Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin | Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States
hsbeer.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

In the most worthy of pumpkin patches and during the silence of the midnight hour, the Greater Pumpkin raises up and pours a rich deep and burnished orange color. Heady aromas of bourbon, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and clove linger seductively over the thick white head of this tremendous brew. Its love at first sip as the full malt body, dominated by British crystal malt, brown sugar and pumpkin, slowly washes over your tongue. Bourbon barrel aging rounds out the flavors with notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Pairs well with crisp autumn weather, crunchy fallen leaves, and the knowledge that your kids will be asleep soon so you can raid their Halloween candy bags.

Added by mcallister on 07-28-2010

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

Was able to get my hands on a bottle of the 2014 before it was released, very good flavor, strong hints of pumpkin and fall spices

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

The best pumpkin beer out there, and it's an ass-kicker too. Great spices and cloves in the taste, but you get a wonderful dose of malt and bourbon flavors as well. Sip this, get warm from the alcohol, and enjoy a nice evening in the fall with this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +21%

Delicious and dangerous: Poured from a 22 bomber into my Chimay Goblet

A- Orange/brownish....definitely a little darker than the great pumpkin.

S- Awesome! Sweet pumpkin pue with cinnamin and nutmeg. The burbon barrels adds a slight congac hint. Impressive

T- Awesome! A punch of pumpkin and spice with that burbon hint right in the middle. Finishes with the feel of just swallowing a piece of pumpkin pie with cool whip on it (Pie is just not pie without a dollup of coo-wHip)

M- Maybe could be a bit better. You can feel the alcohol content with it sitting on the palate, but neverhteless its a great one

D- I want to have 2-3 per night....i can afford 1-2 per month

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured from the bottle with a very thin, offwhite head, which quickly evaporated to a collar... over a completely opaque, turbid pumpkin color... with little traces of carbonation working its way up the sides of the glass.

S- The aroma is an incredibly complex combination of graham- cracker-like malt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, which is met with a wonderful compliment of bourbon and vanillin (presumably from oak). Some very mild vinous notes in the background. Just a tremendous amount of stuff happening here in this nose...

T- In the mouth you get this malt character, that again comes through with a slight impression of graham cracker... which is met with moderate, well-proportioned dose of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. On the mid palate, you have a mild surge of vanilla and bourbony flavor... which turns to a moderate hop bitterness into the finish, which terminates with a kiss of booze that lingers tremendously on the palate. I truly appreciate the amazing complexity of this brew in the flavor profile... and nowhere do I feel that one component of this symphony overpowers any other element. The ability to maintain such a dynamic yet balanced flavor is worthy of a '5'.

M- Medium-plus body, with a fair amount of texture due to unattenuated sugars and a very gentle, yet pervasive carbonation. Just a tiny hint of heat from the EtOH. And a very mild astringency.

D- This stuff is just too delicious... and dangerously quaffable. Hands-down one of the best brews I've had from Heavy Seas!

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite pumpkin beer which is surprising since I am not usually a huge fan of bourbon barrel aging. Heavy Seas does a great job with balancing the pumpkin and bourbon flavors so that neither dominates the other.

4.59/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best pumpkin beer I've ever tasted

4.59/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +16.6%

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%

EDIT: It seems as though I got a bottle of last year's batch, by some fantastic stroke of fortune. Over the fresh version, aging has improved it astronomically.

Thin whitish head, orangey hazy body. Some lacing.

Nicest pumpkin beer I've ever had the joy to nose. Pumpkin, nutmeggy spice, and a heavy helping of bourbony oak.

Holy cow; the taste absolutely lives up to the nose. Fantastic imperial pumpkin ale with heavy, heavy oaking presence. This bottle may have been from last year, which will only help it. There's a faint alcohol burn, but I don't mind in the least.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard and totally second fiddle to everything else. I don't notice it, so it must be all right.

Even if you don't like (or don't think you'll like) pumpkin beers, if you've ever enjoyed a bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout, you'll love this beer. I guarantee it.

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Fairly sure this was bottled Fall 2010. Aged in bourbon barrels.

A: Unfiltered hazy brown-orange. Bubbles rise sustaining an inch of head. Translucent.

S: Holy hell. It smells fantastic. Huge pumpkin dominates. Spices are a serious undertone, completely avoiding artificiality and reminding me strongly of pumpkin pie. A bit of bourbon might come through as caramel sweetness.

T: What. It tastes like pumpkin eggnog that was spiced and liquored up. I would think this at Christmas or-- who am I kidding? I would drink this anytime. Deep, complex, tasty, creamy, pleasant, and spicy-titillating. Undeniable pumpkin pie with a bit of alcoholic burn...bourbon alright, or maybe rum. Slightly thin in feel, but never in flavour. Tentative carbonation.

O: One of the best pumpkin ales I've encountered. Maybe the best. It's perhaps a little strong, but the booziness gives it a layered complexity that I think improves the overall effect. Recommended, if you can find one. I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled.

4.54/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours orange with clouding, a nice head and lacing. There are aromas of cinnamon, allspice, clove, and pumpkin. It has initial flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, allspice, then the bourbon becomes evident with brown sugar and oak. It has alcohol warming and bourbon characters on the palate. It is a complex, but extremely well done brew.

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%

On-tap at Lost Dog (Col. Pike) in Arlington. From notes made on 10/12/11

A - hazy orange color, nice head retention, good lacing

S - smooth pumpkin smell, sweetness, slightly malty

T - nice pumpkin flavors balanced with notes of Bourbon. Bready malt flavors in the background

M - medium bodied, smooth with noticable Bourbon alcoholic heat aftertaste.

O - heavy seas' greater pumpkin is a unique and great take on your traditional pumpkin ale. I'm all about aging pumpkin ales in bourbon barrels now!

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%

The Heavy Seas (from Clipper City) already produces one of my favorite pumpkin beers, "The Great Pumpkin." They then take that awesome brew, age it in spent bourbon barrels, and call it "The Great'er Pumpkin." I've heard about this one for a few years now, but never had the opportunity to pick one up. This year it was released in the CT market, and we made sure to get some!

The Great'er Pumpkin pours a slightly hazy, burnt-orange, almost rusty color. It's a little darker than I remember the Great Pumpkin being, but I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart just by looking at them. The foam is pretty thick at first, but fades pretty quickly. I'm surprised at how much white foam there is at first, because this Great'er Pumpkin checks in at 9% abv, making it one of the stronger pumpkin beers this year.

The nose is awesome; filled with all kinds of pumpkin pie spices, I'm getting cinnamon, nutmeg, and I can't help but think of ginger for some reason. There's a mild amount of pumpkin aromas too, but it's hidden behind a substantial amount of alcohol esters.

Wow, once I take a sip, I am impressed! This is gorgeously spicy, a bit malty sweet, a little pumpkiny, and quite boozy. It's pretty much everything I like in a beer. Now, it's not nearly as heavy in the pumpkin as some others out there, but the spice is great, and I honestly love that little bit of a boozy nature. The alcohol isn't over-powering, but there's enough of it that you definitely notice it. I think I'd like to see a touch more pumpkin, but otherwise, I love this beer!

Well I'm getting down to the last few pumpkin beers to try this year, and the Heavy Seas "The Great'er Pumpkin" has really set the bar high. I think tomorrow night might be the time for the Pumking, and we'll see if it holds it's own again this year.

Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin from Heavy Seas Beer