Heavy Seas Black Cannon | Heavy Seas Beer

3.8

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Reviews: 216 | Ratings: 691
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

On-tap 2/6/2011 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted dark malts, a good amount of hops, some chocolate and some fruit.

T: The taste is nicely balanced and starts out with mildly sweet flavors of chocolate and citrus. The hops presence is strong but not over-powering and there's a hearty roasted malt character. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a decent beer to drink for a long time.

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%

Black colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is grassy hops.Taste is hops,sugar cane and a touch of coffee.Alcohol is very well hidden.Goes down relatively smooth.Overall a decent beer that is probably worth trying at least trying once.I probably would buy again sometime down the road.

3.32/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Hennepin glass.

A: Pours black, held to light shows very little ruby highlighting. 1 finger off white/tan head that settles into a skin and ring. Some small lacing holds on.

S: Odd one here. Dark malt roastiness comes through very faintly and then is smoothered by an herbal, almost green onion like grassy note. Not appealing in the slightest, but has me intrigued. The taste can't be as bad, right?

T: Okay, this is better. Herbal and bitter at first, slightly grassy, but none of the onion note here. Roasted malt comes in, which is slighty weird in an IPA. But, for what it's worth, it adds a bit to the flavor. Finishes with a slightly fruity hop note that reminds me of the Loose Cannon.

M: A little creamy, a little oily, pretty light body for an IPA of this color, and lowish carbonation.

D: Okay for what it is. The finish is lightly bitter, alcohol only shows up in extremely small flashes, and the roast malt adds in a slightly complex flavor to the bitterness of the hops.

This one falls squarely into my "meh" category of Black IPA's. The hops aren't star, the roast malt is odd, and the aroma is just a "What hops are these? Okay, I will remember never to use them in homebrew." moment for me. Overall, this is an interesting beer, but even if my score seems decent, I won't be revisiting it anytime soon.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle poured into a Long Trail VT pint glass. Bottle notch says best before May 2011. This is a new beer for them, only released in January and February 2011.

A: Pours a nice, deep brown/black color. Two finger off white/tanish head. Stays around a while. Nice tight condensed bubbling. Solid lacing.

S: From the nose I got some hops (citrus and earthy notes), but more malt. No where never the hoppy aroma off the Loose Cannon.

T: Where'd the hops go from the Cannon?!?! I got all malt in the first sip. Strangely surprising. Roasty malts are all over this one. It has a little hop bite towards the end, but this is not the Cannon that I was expecting.

M: Mild medium body beer. Tastes a little more full then a normal IPA because of the malts. Nice simple bite.

D: This is very drinkable. The ABV is nicely hidden. I drank two and was fine.

Overall, I liked the beer, but from the bottle label notation and other reviews I was expecting more. I love Loose Cannon and get it in these parts a lot, I just wish this one was more like that.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Best before May, 2011. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a dark, pretty much black, w/ auburn hues; transparent. Off white head and decent lacing. The aromas are somewhat faint. I'm picking up more chocolate, coffee, and malts than hops. Tastes nice, very roasty and lots of bitterness from the hops, coffee, and chocolate; slightly fruity. Mouthfeel is kind of prickly and finishes dry and bitter; medium-bodied. Drinkability isn't bad, the alcohol is well hidden, pretty easy to drink for the most part.

I suppose I had higher expectation since Loose Cannon is one of my favorite IPAs. Black Cannon is a solid Black IPA but not ahead of the pack. I was hoping for this to be more tropical and hop forward. I feel they focused more on the roasty characteristics. Bottom line is it's a great effort and enjoyable beer that's worth trying.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle served in a pint glass
Pours a dark brown with red highlights. The head is thick and foamy to start then settles to a thin layer with lots of lace. The smell is of west coast hops and chocolate malt so like an imperial stout but without any bitter roasted character. The taste is of floral hop with a significant citrus note up front. Beyond the hops is just enough malt balance to keep this beer under control. It looks like a brown ale but is all IPA in taste. This beer is an almost unbalanced, IPA in disguise. The taste is clean with a finish of hop bitterness and a touch of malt sweetness but just a touch. Overall I'd say the drinkability is a bit less than good. This beer seems to be mostly chocolate malt with less of the caramel character of a classic IPA. The caramel character, in my opinion, makes a more drinkable beer as this seems to be lacking some of the sweetness required to balance the hops. This was my first Black IPA and I think it has made me interested in finding more of this style.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

I havent had many Black IPA's so i decided to shake it up a bit and grabbed some of this.

A: Nice dark black color, small brown head dissappeared quickly

S: Chocolate, mollases, coffee, the hops are in there as well, you just need to look closer

T: Roasted coffee dominate, nice balance between the malts and hops. Tastes like a hoppy porter.

M: Medium, goes down very smooth

D: Not knowing what to expect with this style from this brewer i was pretty pleased. Very drinkable at a nice price point. I bought a case of this among other beer and my guests really enjoyed this as much as i did. At the 7.2% abv. its a beer you could drink for a while and not tire of.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a very dark brown, with a frothy cola colored head that retains well. The aroma is very green, with big and juicy citrus hops upfront, along with some dark chocolate and coffee notes, a bit of tobacco, some molasses, dark fruits, burnt bread and alcohol...a bit raw but very complex and inviting. The flavor starts off with citrusy and piney hops, along with some chocolate and coffee, molasses and burnt bread, dark fruits, chalk and a bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is moderate and drinkability is very good for the style. Really tasty example of a black IPA, somewhat balanced and pretty complex...a real winner.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

I'd been hearing about "black ipas" for awhile and wanted to see what the hype was about and I found a pack of this while at the liquor store the other night. I saw it described as loose cannon based so I thought since I liked that this would be worth a go. It is interesting. It pours black with a tan head. It smells very simillar to loose cannon. Taste begins the same as loose cannon with alot of hoppyness but then there is this interesting taste I can't quite put my hand on in the finish. This flavor doesn't really help the drinkability any and kind of hurts it a little bit. Not bad but it's not as good as loose cannon because of whatever that little flavor change is.

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Terrapin shaped glass. It poured dark brown, almost black in color with a foamy tan head filling two inches of the glass. The head faded to a thin covering and left a little lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a pretty good amount of coffee and chocolate coming through from the dark malts. I also get the hoppy, juicy, citrus coming through that is reminiscent of Loose Cannon. It's relatively balanced between the hoppy and roasty flavors actually. Personally, i would have rather had more of the Loose Cannon hoppiness and less of the coffee, roasty flavors but that's just my preference so far of this new style.

The taste is smoother then I anticipated. The roasty and bitter flavors are milder in the taste compared to the nose. I get some sweeter chocolate up front and more of a dark, bitter-sweet chocolate with some coffee in the finish. Throughout the flavor I get the juicy, citrusy, hops which again show the similarities in relation to Loose Cannon. It has a moderate, dry, bitterness in the finish with both the hops and roasty flavors contributing to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability was good, I actually enjoyed it more then I expected I would. Typically I find that too much roasty flavors clash with the hops for me. Judging by the aroma I thought that this was going to fall into this category as well, but I was pretty happy with the way they integrated in the taste. It was definitely smoother then I anticipated and was a pretty good beer overall. A pretty nice twist on Loose Cannon for the winter months.

Thank you, Justin.

Black with reddish brown highlights, there's a dense, light brown head with great retention and lacing. The nose is great. It has that classic Loose Cannon nose with the Centannial hop character, fruity, floral and quite citric. The malt character is quite light here, there is just a little bit of roast and not much sweetness.

The palate opens with quite a bit of leafy bitterness along with orange and floral hop flavor. Again, I don't get much of the malt character, there is no roast at all! There is some caramel, and maybe some chocolate, but I think this captures the style perfectly - it's a gimmick. Black like a stout or porter, hopped like an IPA, and like the best of them, not much malt character. One can argue that there's a touch of malt acridity, but really, with the hop profile here, there's a lot that can be hidden. Hoppier than I remember Loose Cannon being, this finishes dry and resiny with a bitter orange peel character. Medium-light in body with moderate carbonation, this is solid stuff. Close to the base beer, but not quite there.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Color: pours brown with golden highlights. sits a very deep, dark ruby with brownish hue.

Smell: initial strike on the nose is the medium-high, citrusy, piney hop character. this is quickly shoved aside by the dark side of the ale: the light chocolate and roasted presence. alcohol is well hidden

Taste: upon a moderately high, sharply bitter foundation, the piney, citrusy hops and lightly roasted and chocolatey malts dance in harmony. finish is more of the hops than the dark malts with a medium bitterness that evolves into a more rough, charred bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body with a medium carbonation

Notes: great style that opens up the eyes and the possibilities for food parings.

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

On-tap at The Judge's Bench in Ellicott City.

Appearance: Pours almost black, some light sneaks through at the edges giving off a red tint. There is a two finger dark tan head, which dissipates quickly leaving just a small layer.

Smell: Burnt and roasty with a hint of herbal hops, kind of odd.

Taste: Herbal hops dominate throughout. To a lesser extent there is some roast and at the finish there is a mild almost cardboard like taste. I don't think there is enough roast to combat the hops. No alcohol to be found.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. This beer is slick and oily on the tongue.

Drinkability: I'm not too sure about this one. The hops dominate too much for my taste, there needs to be more roast to balance things out. I don't think I'd have this one again.

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Figured I'd give it a try after hearing good things from some folks who had it out of a firkin recently.

Appearance: black, reddish brown along the edges, quickly dissapating creamy tan head

Aroma: funky hops, chocolate roastiness, then a bit of woody mint

Taste: sharp minty, piney hops, then funky cocoa, then the hops bite back. Kinda like INTENSE, blah, INTENSE

Mouthfeel: on the heavier side of medium bodied, mouth coating, but not sweet and finishes relatively clean

Drinkability: meh, I could probably drink a couple, but wouldn't really want to

I think this beer kinda represents what's wrong with the CDA/Black IPA style. Too many strong porters with the roast played down and the hops played up. Still good, but not what I had in mind.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours dark dark amber, not quite black. Just enough for a tiny bit of light to shine through. Fluffy light tan head. Light moist lacing all the way through.

S - Roasty, light floral hops.

T - Just a tad of sharp hop bitterness on one side and sharp roasted notes on the other. Two distinct personalities here.

M - Light, just a tad more viscous than water. Pools up in the middle for a bit then washes away.

D - I could put back 2-3 in a session with this one, but that may not be the best of ideas at 7 1/4 ABV. You'd think this would be a palate killer, not as much as I'd expect.

Missed the various releases of this on tap/cask. Was somewhat excited about since I first heard about it. I'm a long time IPA fan and have been making a point to try as many black IPAs as I can find. None have blown me away yet. I drink it and think, "that's cool they can do that with an IPA". This is a very nice clean representation of the style, or what we're identifying as a style recently. It doesn't push the envelope too much from that perspective.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Good One...Must have just came out! It is featured on the Clipper City web site. Pours a dark brown.black color with just a few shafts of ruby highlights. Light tan head. Good retention, very good lacing.

Smell was mostly good, roasted malts and some hops, but I detected a note of Summit hops here. (I am one of the small minority of beer drinkers that get a rotten vegetable/garbage aroma and taste from Summit hops...Gubna is undrinkable for me!!)

Taste was mostly good as well, but the pesky Summit hops type presence was detected faintly. The primary tastes were roasted malts very well balanced against a good hoppy, bitter presence. This is a beer that hopheads and malt lovers could both enjoy.

Mouthfeel is rich and crisp. Drinkability is very good...beware the 7.25 abv, it is not noticeable. This is a catch-all style, but if it contains beers like this...it is ok by me.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last