Heavy Seas Black Cannon | Heavy Seas Beer

Style: American Black Ale

Added by JayQue on 01-23-2011

3.8

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

A: dark red in color with a thin off white head
S: smells of nutty malts and a slight piney hop aroma
T: a nice bready flavor coupled with a bitter hoppy bite at the end
M: decent carbonation coupled with a smooth texture medium light bodied
O: a very balanced ale not quite enough hops to be considered an IPA i think i prefer the standered loose cannon but all in all another solid brew from clipper city

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.
A. nice black, charcoal color.
S. not as pungent as I would have liked, but had some nice hop, coffee (dark and subtle) characteristics.
t. Brought a smile to my face. had a nice hoppyness to it, with a nice malt bone to it.
m. pretty good. had the right carbonation and feel for a black IPA
o. one of my favorite black IPAs (Note this was the first time I tried it), and I want more! I had it right after a work out at the gym, and it put my in a happy place.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Heavy Seas Black Cannon

Pours dark brown, almost black in color. Off white head. Aroma of citrusy hops, roasted malt, smoke, and a mild fruityness. In the taste, roasted malts with coffee, chocolate and faint anise. Lots of bright hop flavor, grapefruit, pine and rind. Bitterness from the roasted malt and hop is pretty well balanced with some sugary sweetness and some alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and well carbonated. Overall, this is a good Black IPA or American Black Ale or Cascadian Dark Ale, or whatever you want to call it.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a deep, rich, opaque sable with a fairly substantial tan head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. Strong aroma is quite hoppy and evergreen with an undertone of sour citrus, mainly grapefruit with a touch of tangerine. Hoppy, smoky flavor has grapefruit, tangerine and roast coffee notes - like a good IPA, yet clearly the "black" variety. I love this style! Smooth, firm texture has a good fizz and leaves a smoky, hoppy tingle.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours black with brown highlights and a mocha head that fades quickly. Smell is a nice hop bouquet, malt notes in the background. The taste is hop up front, subtly sweet, with a hoppy and malt finish with some roasted characteristics. A medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation, a bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, but a nice depth of flavor. Overall an enjoyable beer, good flavors, worth checking out.

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance - Pitch black and beautiful but very little head. Nice lacing though

Smell- Exactly like loose Cannon. Very citrus and floral

Taste - Again exactly like Loose Cannon which is one of my favorite IPA's. Therefore love the taste on this one.

Mouthfeel - Very nice

Overall - Because I couldn't tell this beer apart from Loose Cannon, I'm knocking it down a little. I don't really understand making the same beer but different appearance. Anyway, love to drink it.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Very dark brown, almost black. Lives up to the name of "Black IPA." Pours a one finger head that reduces in a few minutes to a lacing which lasts. Leaves a speckled lacing on the glass as I drink.

S - I don't get too much here. A bit toasty and perhaps smokey, with caramel, but I don't get much in the hops department.

T - I get alot of the smoke I detected on the nose. This is followed by some toasty malts and a light crisp hop finish. Very smokey aftertaste. Balanced and very easy to drink, despite the relatively high ABV. I don't get any alcohol.

M - Great mouthfeel. Thick with good carbonation.

O - I really loved the beer, but don't think it was much of a Black IPA. There really aren't many hops and the toasty, smokey flavors remind me more of a smoked porter than a Black IPA. Still, a very good beer that I would get again. I would like to taste this side by side with Heavy Seas Smoke on the Water, which I had about a month ago, for a bit of perspective.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Had this on cask at Max's in Baltimore. Have only tried cask beers a few times before, but this was definitely a great beer. Nice jet black color, roasted malt and hoppy aroma. Medium bodied, great mouthfeel, great balance between roasted malts and hoppiness with the smoothness of the cask giving it the perfect touch. Awesome beer, but still not as good as the Siren Noir on cask which was like a liquid Hershey's bar. Totally glad I got try this on cask and I would definitely pick up a sixer of it in the store.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%

From the Clipper City Brewery in Baltimore, Maryland, the Heavy Seas Black Cannon is their seasonal Black IPA. As much as it sounds like an oxymoron, black india pale ales have become a popular style of brew over the past year or so.

Black IPAs, also referred to as Cascadian Dark Ales are variable from dark brown to pitch black. They can be very different in hops, malts, and even alcohol content.

The Black Cannon smells of crisp, clean hops, with a touch of caramel or molasses in the background. Once I take a sip, the very drinkable hops are balanced really well by some subtle malts. The hops are present enough to clearly define this as an IPA, but more subdued than some of the hop-heavy black IPAs on the market.

I think, more than anything, the Black Cannon has great drinkability. It's a relatively mild example of a black ipa, and that's exactly why I like it. I think this is a great beer to switch some of your friends to craft beer. You know who I mean, those buddies that think they're drinking good beer when they come home with Heini, Amstel, or Corona.

Heavy Seas Black Cannon from Heavy Seas Beer