Heavy Seas - Plank I | Heavy Seas Beer

Added by jsanford on 03-15-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 91
3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Deep mahogany color with a nice sized head. Strong aroma of a somewhat metallic quality as it is poured from the bottle. Once in the glass there is a deep caramel sweetness going on, somewhat raisen like. Malty enough flavor with a whisper of wood and a hint of smoke. Fairly sweet then fades into a dry finish. Body is rather thin for my liking. Rather ho hum and unispired. Really was looking forward to this, perhaps I had myself psyched up for something else who knows. Lacks the unique wood notes I was expecting. Form your own opinion is all I can say.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Dark Brown with red hints, thin head

S - Caramel, roasty, some chocolate and fruitiness.

T - Roasty Caramel and malts, alcohol, and a fruity finish

M - Thin, carbonated

O - Meh, OK, was expecting more, maybe its just not my style. Not sure what I was expecting, wasn't bad just was OK.

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%

I really enjoy old ales, but this one misses the mark a bit- a bit too malty and creamy and a little one dimensional- too sweet. Pours a slightly turgid brown with only a slight head. Smells sweet and malty with a touch of fruitcake and wood. Pleasant enough if a little one-dimensional. Perhaps slightly rummy as well. The taste is more of the same- very smooth, perhaps too much so- I like a little bit of a dry bite in my old ale. Not one of their best efforts.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Grabbed a 22oz bomber bottle from the Foodery. From what I remember hearing about this beer, Clipper City is experimenting with various woods for their "Plank" series. the bottle says that this Old Ale was aged on Poplar wood planks.

Poured into my snifter glass, the beer has an attractive deep ruby color with a tan head that billows up to about one finger thick. While the head does disappear in a minute and leaves no lacing or any trace that it was ever there, the beer still has a nice appearance.

The smell is quite average for the style. Old Ales should have a lot more complexity, especially after being aged on wood, but the aroma here is somewhat lackluster. There is a soft wooden smell, but not one that I am quite used to. I would describe it as more acidic than American Oak. Notes of caramel sit in the background from the sweet malts, but there is no depth here like I said before.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, in that there isn't much going on. In fact, what I believe comes from the wood aging here is a somewhat sour note that leans heavily on the delicate sweet malts. The aftertaste comes through with a bit of toffee, roasty flavor. I have had some excellent examples of English Old Ales, which I find have a deeper malt character that bring out fruitiness all throughout the aroma and flavor, and unfortunately, Plank I has missed the boat, so to speak. The alcohol does a decent job of hiding itself here, so good marks for that.

The mouthfeel is wonderful, full-bodied and soft. The carbonation was kept low, which I liked. Good job all around here. The only room for improvement would be to develop a slicker texture for the beer.

I love the idea of experimenting with wood aging, but one must realize that it will be hit or miss. This isn't a total abomination. Not even close really...I just thought that the base beer didn't really stack up to what I expect from an Old Ale and that it didn't mesh very well with the Poplar wood anyways. I would be interested in trying a vertical of all the different iterations over the years, but other than that, I don't think I will repurchase again.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last