Heavy Seas - Plank I | Heavy Seas Beer

Style: Old Ale

Added by jsanford on 03-15-2011

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.78/5  rDev 0%

Bottle from awesome girlfriend from a bottle shop in Richmond va.
reviewed on my phone so it is shortened and may have odd autocorrect errors.
Pours a deep rich brown with about a finger of head...
Nose is heavy on the caramel and brown sugar with a hint of over ripe dark fruit or raisin.
The raster is very contrary to the nose. It is very dry and woody. I expect a lot of sweetness, based off the nose, but it is nowhere to be found. If you smell poplar, that taste you imagine is strong. Once you taste this you know what a poplar is. It is quite amazing. this is a very very dry beer... can't say I have had one quite so dry, it is as if the poplar sucked all the moisture out. There is a bit of the caramel on the palate, but it is quite overpowering with the dryness. It really reminds me of a really dry merlot, it just sucks the moisture out of your mouth. I want some water after each sip.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Murky brown with a beige head, just from the smell, expect this to be big and malty. Indeed, it is! Full and round butterscotch flavor coats everything. Decidedly on the sweet side of things, but the hops cut through at just the right time to bring some balance. Hints of cherry and vanilla are there and a certain wood-like quality in the finish. Though I'm wondering if I would notice it if I didn't know to expect it.

Big flavor, creamy mouthfeel, not overly bitter. Complex and tasty flavors. Plank I is a winnerrrr!

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: pours a clear black brown into a Brewers Art goblet with almost no head.

S: smokey, sweet, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, apples galore, biscuity.

T: sweet candy/sugary notes, some apples and plums, a bit of coffee. Toasty biscuits and definitely woodsy.

MF: the body is on the lighter side and for the lack of head there is a great amount of effervescence.

O: a good beer with some interesting notes I'm glad I got to try this and would buy again but if they only produce it in very limited quantities I would let someone else pick it up before I bit the bullet.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

A: Medium-to-dark, rich brown color. Some thought it looked like a stout, but I thought it was an appropriate old ale color - in the range of chestnut to mahogany - not black. Much more foamy head than I had anticipated, though. No sediment or haze.

S: Oak, caramel, vanilla, and brown sugar. Very nice array of scents for an old ale, but with the distinctly woody character that had been advertised.

T: The malts match up very nicely with the malty scents - caramel, toffee, brown sugar, etc. However, I didn't get nearly as much oak flavor or woodiness as I had expected. The flavors did pair perfectly with the "Smokey Blue" pizza from Fireworks Pizza in Leesburg, as I had hoped.

M: Not as dense as an old ale typically is. I think the abundant carbonation and the hot outdoor temperatures both contributed to the perception that it was more medium-bodied.

O: Very easy to drink with very little alcohol burn. When coupled with intensely flavored, smoky foods, it definitely took a back seat and seemed more like a brown ale than an old ale. However, the good initial flavors and lack of any negative characteristics made this an enjoyable beer for sure.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

poured from a cask at the Heavy Seas BBQ fest. reviewed from notes.

A - murky dark brown. some tan head, but not much. it does leave some nice lacing though.

S - strong roasted malts. hints of caramel, nuts and coffee bean in the nose. really nice underlying sweetness. smells very fresh and appetizing.

T/M - the flavor was mostly made up of the roasted malts. rich combination of the malts and coffee, which give it a bit of bitterness. you can definitely taste some of the flavor enhanced by the wood. the bitterness is balanced by the sweetness of the caramel on the back end. slick, creamy mouthfeel. medium bodied.

Overall this is beer is crafted very well. the flavors are very tasty and it's goes down easy and smooth. I'd like to get my hands on this again when it's more widely released.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Had this at Max's this evening at the release event. This version was dry-hopped and on cask. I also had the C02 tap version. There are some slight differences that I will mention. For a more fleshed out review check out my other reivew.

The cask version had a more prominent vanilla presence in the nose and flavor profile.

The hop addition to this cask made this a more well rounded and balanced beer in my opinion, but some of the wood notes are not as present.

The aroma is slightly more hoppy and the finish is much more bitter.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

I was told when I bought this it was something special, so I kind of had high hopes. luckily, this beer delivered, and hard

A - lovely deep ruby color, creamy head comes and goes, but swirls around nicely in the glass when poured

S - very malty, VERY malty actually, with toffee, caramel, pine and and ever so slight scent of clean, solvent alcohol

T - a really deep toasty malt almost overpowers at first, but almost immediately pulls back to showcase some fruity esthers (plum, raisin come to mind), very light citrus from the hops, wine-y must, a dry sawdust taste from the poplar aging and a warm balancing alcohol flavor, all of which come together in the finish spectacularly.

M - slightly flat after the head leaves, but thick and bold

O - this is a nice one. not a complex layer of 25 different notes, but a very careful and precise flavor is achieved and I really like it

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Dark Brown with red hints, thin head

S - Caramel, roasty, some chocolate and fruitiness.

T - Roasty Caramel and malts, alcohol, and a fruity finish

M - Thin, carbonated

O - Meh, OK, was expecting more, maybe its just not my style. Not sure what I was expecting, wasn't bad just was OK.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last