Onward Stout | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

The tan lace clings to the glass as you raise the pint to your lips. Close your eyes and smile as the rich espresso notes fade to a dry, roasted finish. Exceptionally smooth and satisfying. Made with English Pale malt, roasted barley, black patent malt, and flaked barley. Hopped with East Kent Goldings and Target hops, and fermented with our English ale yeast.

Added by Brent on 04-12-2004

Liked:
3.7/5
Alströms:

2.48/5  rDev -33%

Of all the beers in the sampler served at their taproom, I anticipated liking this one the most and was sorely disappointed. The beer poured with an opacity and creamy tan head that were true to the stout style(although I wouldn't consider this a dry Irish stout). The predominant smell was one of charcoal which was my first hint that I would not care for this beer. No other scents could be detected due to the overall burnt character both in the nose and on the palate. I've tasted and enjoyed smoked porters and stouts before, but they were much milder than this. It literally tasted as though liquid smoke was added to the glass. I don't think storage, temperature, or age were to blame as it was sampled at the brewer's taproom, so I have to assume that it was a legit representation of their beer. I'm much more a porter/stout fan than a hophead, and I literally had to choke down the small sampler glass. I spent 2 weeks in Ireland last summer, and through exhaustive personal research, really got a feel for what a proper pint of Irish stout should taste like. This wasn't it. Stick with the Sly Rye Porter, Dos Perros, or the Pale Ale when visiting Yazoo. I will be in Nashville soon, and will give it a 2nd chance. I'll update if hopefully, change is noted.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.07/5  rDev -17%

A - Gourgeous dark dark brown color, almost black, Thick creamy brown head with excellent retention. About what you would expect froma nitro-tapped beer.

S - Weak aroma of roasted coffee. The beer does not smell bad, it just lacks aroma in general.

T - Not an overpowering taste at all. Hints of coffee and toasted grain. A good tasting stout. Just a little hop bitterness comes through.

M/D - Thin bodied and an almost flat feeling. Just does not feel like a stout in the mouth. Decent taste which does make it drinkable, but I feel it is much better on standard tap.

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

Had this on cask infused with vanilla beans at 12 South Taproom.

The beer pour a very dark brown with very little head.

The smell is that of coffee and a little smokiness, along with the slight hint of vanilla.

The beer has a very light texture and taste. The vanilla is very subtle and is really only detectable on the finish. The vanilla taste opens up as the beer warms a little.

Overall, this was a very solid low alch stout that is very easy drinking.

3.17/5  rDev -14.3%

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Has a very dark brown body with a dark tan head; looks good at first, but has poor head retention and leaves virtually no lacing

Smell: Weak roasted malt character

Taste: Starts out with a coffee flavor that quickly thins out and leaves a phenolic plastic aftertaste with a touch of tobacco

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin body with low carbonation

Drinkability: I hate to rain on this parade of accolades as I am a big fan of local beers but this is an unimpressive stout; really more like a porter if the truth be told; I had high expectations and saved this one for the last of the four Yazoo brews I tasted on my Nashville trip but I cannot say that any one of them passed muster in my view; a real shame as the brewery is trying some unusual recipes but all of their beers seem to lack body

3.36/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle into tulip

appearance: black with off white 1 finger head

smell: roasted malts, espresso/coffee, dark chocolate, hazelnut

taste: prominent malt backbone with bready notes, dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, a bit watery and not much hop presence at all

mouthfeel: decent amount of carbonation, pretty thin feel

overall: A very session-able stout, on the watery side for the style but at 3% you could drink these all day and not feel them. Decent flavor's but nothing too strong or aromatic, on the tame side for a stout, even a lower abv.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Little to no head in the one I tried, but I think that was because the bartendress over filled it, I did get a tan ring to form. Dark in color, but you can pick up a little ruby color even in its center, yep it looks Irish anyway. The smell is of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. More of the same in the taste, it almost seems like a darker roast that is in some stouts, the coffee malt was quite bitter, I think that is what stood out most about this beer to me. There is a slight hop zing in the background. I felt like the mouthfeel was a bit gritty, no so much chewy or creamy, I wasn't a big fan. I would put this beer in the "worth a try" category, but I wouldn't revisit it a lot.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%

This beer is extremely dark. No light getting through. The head is very creamy and mocha color with small bubbles. On the nose I get some roasted characters. Almost smoky, but not quiet, maybe a slight charred note. The taste is coffee, roasted malts, and that charred note again. It's pretty creamy so they all just hit you at the same time, and leave you with a dry palate. I'm getting some coffee bitterness that is lingering for a while.

Overall this is a very nice session-able stout, and it's even better on NITRO!!!

Onward Stout from Yazoo Brewing Company