Hefeweizen | Yazoo Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
HefeweizenHefeweizen

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

Added by clvand0 on 11-01-2004

Reviews: 130 | Ratings: 425
4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottled 5/7/2011, I think (the date is smeared, but it has the new Yazoo bottle labels, so it is fresh.) Consumed July 4, 2011.

A- A glowing, hazy, unfiltered orange. This looks like what a hefe should, as best as I can tell.

S- Big banana notes. Some cloves. A little bit of peppery spice. Again, this smells dead on for the style.

T- Cool and refreshing. A wave of fresh banana and yeast roll over the palate, with just a bit of a spicy kick on the finish.

M- Light and easy drinking. A wonderful summer beer that is going down great as I grill some chicken on the 4th.

O- I admit to being a bit of a biased Nashvillian on this one. The is the beer that turned me on to hefes years ago, and it is still my go to for the style. Just an awesome example of the style that I can always get fresh. A must grab if you love wheat beers, and something you should try if you don't.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

This is much better on tap fresh from the brewery than out of the bottle. It looks like the typical hefeeweizen. Cloudy, hazy and grainy with a thin white head and spotty lace. The smell is faint and grainy with a back draft of banana, cloves and pepper. The taste is a bit thin and watery up front, but perfectly balanced between the banana and cloves. hints of black pepper and a tart hop bite in the background. A bit thin and watery, but a creamy swallow. Simple, refreshing, and easy to drink.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent hefe.

Nose is citrus, a bit lemony.

First sip is tart, highly carbonated, and there's a hint of banana and clove there, but not as much as I'd like.
Solid hefe though... one of the best American offerings...

It's official.. the hop project beers remain my favorites from this brewery... and I'm not even really a hophead.

Worth trying, and the price is right, but I won't revisit it too much with the competition in this style that I have access too. For 3 bux more I coulda bought a 6 of Hacker-Pschorr, and probably should of.

This one is alright on spice... not enough clove, not enough viscosity, not enough of anything really(except for car and its a bit overdone). Well made, but not world class or original.

Let's face it... the Americans haven't figured this one out yet... GRANTED THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST ATTEMPTS I've tasted... Yazoo is something that I can get within a week of it's bottling - so I'm a little biased here... and this is a very drinkable offering... not nearly as complex or to the unfiltered quality standards of say Schneider-Weiss or other German offerings of that caliber... but hey... at least we improved upon the stout... best american Hefe imo... or for what I've had which is only about 20-25 different offerings... worth a try for sure.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a cloudy light straw color with 1 finger off white head, which retained most of the way down the glass. Per bottle recommendation, swirled and dumped yeast sediment right on top, which left a light brown trail on top of the head.

Smells exactly like most of hefeweizens I've had. Bananas and cloves come through strong, especially the former.

Taste follows the nose well. Tasty, bready wheat malt with a good dose of the banana tones. Very refreshing taste.

Feels slightly heavier in body than I usually remember from this style (I haven't drank a hefe in a while, so I'm going off memory). Coates the tongue pretty well, doesn't feel thin at all. The head retention probably helps attribute to the mouthfeel.

Overall very drinkable. The weather is warming up here so I will probably finish this 6 pack by tomorrow. A very tasty & refreshing beer, especially for a style which I normally don't care much for. Maybe I have a newly found respect for it now.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass. Hazy yellow body with a small head that faded quickly. Little lacing.

Decent aroma but light here as well. A little citrus and bready wheat. A hint of banana and spices in the background.

Solid hefeweisen flavor. Spicy yeast followed by banana and clove. Some light bubble gum in the background. More impressed with the flavor than I thought I would be.

Overall a nice representation of the style. Good for Yazoo.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz brown bottle with a "bottled on" date.

Vigorous pouring produces a tall order of white head, a stiff swirl of the bottle to get some yeast in as well makes the brew hazy straw in appearance. Soft banana bread and a twang of clove in the nose, yeasty. A bit smooth, a bit slick and a bit crisp in the lighter body. Bready palate, banana taffy, faint clove, nutty yeast and some other vague fruity esters in the back. Semi-dry finish.

Pretty spot on for the style, good drinking ... I'd perfer more smoothness here but now I am splitting hairs.

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a hazy yellw

S- Clove, banana, and an vanilla

T- Great after taste.

m- medium bodied.

I'd recommend for a person wanted to try out yazoo. Also, It's nice for a number of food groups.

This would be great with some breads and meats. Great beer! anytime!

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to Supernova777 for the pour. Josh you shouldn't have!

A- Pours a hazy yellowish orange color. One finger white head shows low retention and leaves very light streaks of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Good typical hefe aromas come to the nose. Clove, banana, and a light yeasty scent hit first. There is a light wheat undertone to this nose. Some light citrus notes along with a light alcohol whiff in the ending bring out the aroma.

T- The inital flavor was citrus forward which tended to die down the more I drank of this. Wheat notes were big and maybe some of the boldest parts of the flavor. Banana and clove came through from the middle on toward the ending. The alcohol made itself apparent toward the ending of the beer but was light about it. Average tasting with a little extra something about it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Light citrus and banana flavors along with wheat left on the palate. Aftertaste was more wheaty along with a touch of light alcohol and banana clove combo. Alcohol had a light drying on the palate. Flavor was a little off but I couldn't put my finger on it how...I don't know if it was just a little too watery for my liking with this style.

D- I thought this beer was a good offering. Not the most mind blowing Hefeweizen I have had but a good one. This is my first beer from Yazoo and I like what I think they could do. The ABV was light and hidden well. The flavor was a little lacking at times but the drinkability kind of made up for it.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%

Hazy yellow/orange in color, pale, with a white finger plus of head. No lacing.

Smell is nice, with some citrus, graininess, slight malt sweetness and some banana.

Much of the same. Bit more on the banana though.

The feel is a little silky, smooth, light in body. Decent carbonation.

Pretty good drinkability. Multiples would be good.

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%

Cloudy yellow, fine rising bubbles, one finger head that dissipates into a sheen, thick clumpy lacing.

Smells typically heffish with yeasty cloves and banana aromas, plus some wheat and a touch of "wet dog." A good smelling hef (wet dog is not necessarily bad).

A slightly plastic/modeling glue taste detracted a bit from what was otherwise probably a pretty good hef. Cloves and bananas, yeast and wheat, very typical once again.

Feel is average. Thin with a little carbonation tang, light body.

Average drink. Not a bad hef but not a great one either.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up a growler at the brewery.

A: Cloudy yellowish orange with minimal head and no lacing.

S: Strong smell of bananas and wheat. Some clove. Fruity and sweet.

T: Tastes like husky wheat with a compliment of sweet banana. Flavorful and refreshing.

M: Not as heavy as it looks. Light and bubbly. I would like to see the body a little more mellow.

D: Very very drinkable. Particularly on a hot summer day a sixer of this can go quickly. One of my favorite offerings from the hometown brewery.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%

Drinking Date: 12/14/10
Bottled-On Date: Late October 2010

Appearance: Very cloudy and light yellow with an orange tint. Looks like freshly squeezed orange juice. The head is white and bubbly. It dissipates very quickly and leaves no lacing. There was very little foam left by the time I took my first sip.

Smell: Full-on fruity and banana aroma. A pleasure to whiff. A hint of alcohol was also present.

Taste: The taste followed the smell... very banana-like. Not a complex taste, but what was there was pretty good. The first sip was the best, becaues the fruity sweetness was right up front (then my mouth got used to it). Carbonation was at a good level.

Mouthfeel: Went down smoothly; too smoothly for my taste. Not enough body to the beer. It drank like a light American lager. ALthough, this does contribute to its drinkability.

Drinkability: Due to the beers light body and easiness on the palate, I could see drinking a few few of these easily.

Notes: Overall a decent beer. I would drink it again if I saw it on tap. Worth a try and/or for a change of pace.

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

A- Cloudy golden, as to be expected. Head was rather weak though.
S- smell is of apple, somewhat banana, some wheat. Some spicy clove presence to it.
T- Same as aroma. More apple than banana I feel.
M- Underweighted. Somewhat prickly carbonation.
D- Maybe my tastes have evolved/transformed, but this just wasn't as good as I remembered. Not a terrible beer, but not as good as some of Yazoo's more worthy products.

2.66/5  rDev -28.5%

Huge thanks to a fellow like minded ticker drabmuh for sending this extra. Another state crossed off the tick list.

A: Slightly cloudy bright yellow. Huge three fingers of stark white head. No lace but a solid cap remains.

S: Lots of citrus with a mix of clove, banana, wheat and mily acidity.

T: Faint citrus and pale wheat. Not much else. Very watered down tasting.

M: Light body with soft carbonation.

D: Overall a less than stellar hefe. Rather forgettable.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz Bottle poured into a SurlyFest Stien.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color. White puffy head which lingers, but not a lot of lace.

Aroma: Lots of banana, maybe a little malt. Actually it reminds me a lot of banana bread.

Taste: Sweet, the banana smell doesn't turn into a lot of banana taste. Bit of lemon, and then the traditional wheat base.

Mouthfeel: Thin, bit of fizz. But in line with the style.

Overall: Not bad. Very in line with the style, but nothing super special.

3.86/5  rDev +3.8%

Nose of banana and lemon for the most part. Searched around for the typical cloves in this style, but couldn't find them.

There's some banana on the front, though nowhere near cloying or too "forward". There's also the cloves there as well, which are noticeable in the body of the beer. The finish sees a bit of lemon, plus some sweet wheat that lingers after the swallow.

This is pretty much a hefeweizen by the textbook. It isn't among the absolute best that I've had, as I like bolder flavors in these beers, but it's done pretty well and seeing as how this is brewed in the city in which I live, I should drink it more.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Yazoo just started distribution to MS so I grabbed one of each of their beers to try. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. Bottled on 4th week of September 2010.

A: Pours a light straw color with a frothy soap-white head. The head dissipates slowly to a thin film. This really looks more like a wit than a hefe, but it still looks good.

S: Huge cracker-like wheat is definitely the most prominent aroma. I smelled some faint cinnamon and orange rind, but it doesn't have much of a characteristic hefe smell.

T: Just like the smell, the most noticeable flavor is the almost cracker-like wheat base. The yeast doesn't offer much complexity, although there is a more prominent lemon note in the taste that doesn't show up in the nose. The finish is hard to describe; it's sort of metallic, almost like hard water.

M: Light and crisp, just as I expected. It's easy on the palate and has just the right amount of bubble.

D: This beer is light, fresh, and refreshing, but it doesn't stack up to the better hefeweizens I've had. At times, it really just tastes like I'm drinking a big saltine cracker. With some work, this could be really good.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

Served on tap at Sam's Sports Bar.

A: Cloudy, what you'd expect from a hefe, almost no head but I think that's because it was a bad pour, left a good amount of lacing.

S: Sweet malts, banana, orange, coriander, again, what you'd expect from a hefe, which is a good thing.

T: Banana really shows through here, malty, sweet. Lemon and wheat finish. Great taste.

M: Light carbonation, crisp, refreshing.

D: Very drinkable.

This is one of, if not the best, hefe that I've had. I may be partial since it's from Yazoo and my hometown, but I absolutely loved this beer.

3.46/5  rDev -7%

Thanks Dustin, still working my way through this huge Yazoo gift box I got. Beer poured into my DFH signature glass. Beer is yellow and hazyl, straw yellow with a soft white head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate. Head could be bigger, carb could be higher but overall its good.

Strong wheat aroma, not much in the way of the classic esters I'd expect from a hefe. Eh.

Beer is medium in body and mildly sweet, finishes with an aftertaste of corn and wheat. There are SOME fruity ester in the mid and late palate, mild banana notes, I think the most interesting thing about this beer is covered up by the aftertaste. Drinkability is fine, in fact the faster you drink the better it is.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this bottle from the most exalted JohnQVegas. This is being reviewed from notes.

This is a cloudy pale straw colored gold with a minimal head and not a ton of lacing. It would get a 3.75 if that were an option, but we'll round down this time.

This smells lemony and sweet with wheat notes. My 3 year old says it smells like grapes, but I'm quite sure he doesn't know what he's talking about (he says every beer smells like grapes since he found out that wine is made from grapes). I do smell tons of banana notes-- and almost a tart lemon and sweet wheat finish.

This isn't the best Hefe, but this is easily drinkable. I would like to see this have some more carbonation.

Not rocking my world, but certainly not unpleasant!

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

The beautiful typical orange haze of a hefe, was overshadowed by its lack of head that didnt even have a chance to lace the glass. The smell was pretty blah as well, not much to speak. Needless to say the only thing that saved this beer from a bad first impression was the rave reviews I got from my friend sitting with me.

I don't know exactly what I was looking for in the taste, I just know that I didn't find it. It wasn't bad, but it didn't jump out at me either. The taste walked a thin line of being well-balanced and simply malnourished, if its possible for taste to be that. It's one step above average for the sole fact that there was nothing really wrong with it.

Theres a lot of hefes out there, like I said this one wasn't bad, but I sure as hell wouldn't run back to it. Try it, but if you have some selection within the style, go another direction.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

As I was back in Nashville I picked up a bottle of this one, as I wanted to try the Hef brewed by Yazoo, the very popular brewery from here. I was generally impressed.

I would say I poured this 12oz bottle into a pint glass, but that would be a lie. Because as I opened it, I lost about 2 ounces due to a slippery table. Fail. Oh well, on with the review.

Cloudy appearance, more of a copper color than lemon color but still not far from what is to be expected. Taste was more than I expected. A lot smoother than I have come to find with a lot of hefs. The wheat and spices come out a lot in the glass. Very drinkable and for those in Tennessee or the South as a whole, this should be an easy to find winner of a hef.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottled 2nd week of January

Poured into a hefeweizen glass. Slightly cloudy, straw yellow in color with a thin white head, which fades into a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

Lots of sweet malts, banana, orange, coriander and light cloves on the nose. Yeasty, citrusy and spicy. Quite good.

Malty, light citrus (orange mostly) and banana in the flavor. Wheat and yeast come through nicely. Spices still present, but more aromatic than flavorful. Almost lemony on the finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly crisp, smooth and refreshing. Ample carbonation. Body could have a little more thickness to it, but still decent.

Drinkability is pretty good. I like the crisp tartness associated with the flavor. Not my go to hefe, but still a good showing. Easy to put down one or two of these. Would have this beer again if it were available in the area. Aroma was the best, but the flavor isn't too bad either. Worth trying if you see it.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Thanks goes out to JohnQVegas for this one.

Bottled On: 3rd Week of May

Pours a nice cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger fizzy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some bannanas, corinander. The taste is slighlty sweet, malty, nice touch of yeast, with some bannanas/corinander. Medium body. Drinkable, a nice thirst quencher on a hot day.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to travita for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a very murky light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is basic hefeweizen with bananas and cloves. The flavor is similar but the bananas and wheat are much stronger than the cloves. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Hefeweizen from Yazoo Brewing Company