Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hefeweizen | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: Hefeweizen

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

Added by clvand0 on 11-01-2004

3.94/5  rDev +6.2%

3.04/5  rDev -18.1%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice taste but thin body

4.73/5  rDev +27.5%

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

One of my least favorite of Yazoo's. It is a gentle experience. And certainly a novel one. One of those beers that I might have for dessert, or recommend to someone who wasn't ready for more intense beers. I like it okay, but the banana flavor and scent was just too much for me. While it came recommended to me, I didn't fall in love with it and I haven't really wanted to spend my money on one since the first one I tried.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

4.9/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I love hefferweizen beers, but not usually the banana and clove noted ones. I love this one. The balance of those flavor profiles works great. A must sample.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, the hefeweizen and this one a fine one by a company I can't get where I currently live. Thanks Matt for sending.
This was poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a nice cloudy burnt orange color with a thick foamy three finger white head that dissipated within less than about a minute. Lingering stringy and foamy lacing slides into the beer.
The smell takes all of the pieces of a true hefeweizen - banana esters, clove and sweet wheaty malts to boot and stiffen up my nose with the pizazz I should expect of this style.
The taste was sweet backed up nicely by the spice with the expected kick of the wheat to lay down on my taste buds nicely. Lingering spicy to banana estery aftertaste leads into a wet sweet finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium in body with a clean crisp refreshing sessionability about it. Carbonation seems to run correctly for the style and for me.
Overall, personally, I think this was an exceptionally well made hefeweizen despite what I see by others. Points for this beer because it is truer to style than other so-called hefeweizens on the market made by American brewers that lean closer to the pale wheat ale style. If I lived in Tennessee, I'd be pounding this in the Summer all of the time.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yazoo Brewing Company Hefeweizen
on tap @ Broadway Brewhouse (Mojo), Nashville, TN - 5 April 2015
$5 "pint" glass

Not my first Yazoo hefe, and certainly not my last, this was the one reliable beer that I could always find during my visit to Nashville. Not that there weren't other solid beers (Tennessee Brew Works Extra Easy comes to mind), but this one just seemed to be everywhere. I grabbed some bottles at Trader Joe's to keep in my hotel room, and I even had a pint at the airport on my way out... all in all, over the period of 5 days that I was there I probably had one pint a day in just as many different places. So, the beer...

It's a little bit on the light side, not quite hitting "medium bodied", but it's still flavorful. They've taken the yeast pretty much full-throttle and it's loaded with banana, clove/bubble gum, wheat, yeast, and lemon. It's everything you'd expect from a Bavarian hefeweizen without all of the body and malt - although there is still malt there, displaying wheat and a yeast influenced "banana bread" character. As might be expected the bitterness level is fairly low, but it still finishes semi-dry. It's a hefeweizen that's a little bit lighter for drinking in the southern heat, and I hate to say it but it's "less filling", refreshing, and really quite drinkable - and that's where it shines.

4.99/5  rDev +34.5%

Excellent. Great looking cloudy golden. Smooth taste

3.59/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a hazy, golden straw coloring with a steady flow of carbonation bubbling in the body, and a halo of white head. Aromas of banana, bubblegum, cloves, nutmeg, all spice, grains of paradise, lemon zest, and hints of cream. Flavors are banana cream forward, very sweet and balanced, with a bready backbone, and hints of the spice blend, with clove and grains of paradise most noticeable. Very balanced. The body is smooth, but light, with a crisp edge from the carbonation. The aftertaste is a slightly spiced, sweet blend that almost tastes like banana cream pudding, with a hint of lemon zest coming through again. The finish is light, smooth, with a crispness at the very end. Refreshing beer.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

I expected more banana but it was pleasant. Period.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Hefeweizen from Yazoo Brewing Company