Hefeweizen | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: Hefeweizen

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

Added by clvand0 on 11-01-2004

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Best wheat ever. The bannas!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, the hefeweizen and this one a fine one by a company I can't get where I currently live. Thanks Matt for sending.
This was poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a nice cloudy burnt orange color with a thick foamy three finger white head that dissipated within less than about a minute. Lingering stringy and foamy lacing slides into the beer.
The smell takes all of the pieces of a true hefeweizen - banana esters, clove and sweet wheaty malts to boot and stiffen up my nose with the pizazz I should expect of this style.
The taste was sweet backed up nicely by the spice with the expected kick of the wheat to lay down on my taste buds nicely. Lingering spicy to banana estery aftertaste leads into a wet sweet finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium in body with a clean crisp refreshing sessionability about it. Carbonation seems to run correctly for the style and for me.
Overall, personally, I think this was an exceptionally well made hefeweizen despite what I see by others. Points for this beer because it is truer to style than other so-called hefeweizens on the market made by American brewers that lean closer to the pale wheat ale style. If I lived in Tennessee, I'd be pounding this in the Summer all of the time.

4.44/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap into a pint glass at the Grainary in Mount Pleasant, SC. The appearance is a lightly murky gold color with a small white head. The aroma is banana and some wheat. The taste is wheat and cloves with some banana in the background.

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Cloudy yellow with a thin layer of white head. 4.5

S- Clove, yeast esters, banana, bubble gum ans sweet bready malts.

T - Banana and bubble gum flavours are huge up front with some spice, clove, citrus and yeast esters.

M - Light to medium body. Creamy. Moderate carbonation.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

I had this beer on tap at the Yazoo brewery while visiting Nashville.

A - Poured a nice bright hazy yellow with a small white head.

S - BIG aroma of bananas. Some nice sweetness in there as well.

T - Hugely flavorful and near perfect for the style. Huge flavor of banana touch of sweetness, a small bit of tartness and cloves. By far the best tasting american Hefeweizen I have had, maybe the best overall.

M - Medium carbonation and a bit light. Very nice.

D - Perfect. Extremely flavorful and balanced. It would be perfect on a hot summers day or a freezing winter night.

4.36/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Picked up a growler at the brewery.

A: Cloudy yellowish orange with minimal head and no lacing.

S: Strong smell of bananas and wheat. Some clove. Fruity and sweet.

T: Tastes like husky wheat with a compliment of sweet banana. Flavorful and refreshing.

M: Not as heavy as it looks. Light and bubbly. I would like to see the body a little more mellow.

D: Very very drinkable. Particularly on a hot summer day a sixer of this can go quickly. One of my favorite offerings from the hometown brewery.

4.34/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy light gold color, 1 inch off white head, good lacing

S: Banana, clove, bubblegum, bandaid

T: Sweet wheat malts, banana, clove, bubblegum, bandaid

M: Light to medium

O: Really good Hefeweizen. This is one of my favorite styles and I love to see American craft brewers give us their version. A really great representation.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

First of all, I love this beer, and all of Yazoo's beers at that. Being from Nashville, I'll admit that I'm more than a little biased, but they really are good beers, especially this hefe. The coriander is noticeable as in other wheat beers that I like. The color is straight on yellow and hazy like an unfiltered wheat bee should be, and that's... that's just tops.
As far as other flavors, I'm going to go out on a little bit of a whim here. I think it tastes a little bit like crayons. No kidding, crayons. And I'm saying this as if it's a good thing, because to me it is. Not only does this beer taste like home, it also tastes like childhood (which took place in Nashville). When it comes to a summer beer and I'm feeling homesick, one sip of this hefe, and I'm back at home on my buddy's back porch hanging out and talking about life.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Easily one of my favorite beers to drink during the spring and summer. Fruity with strong hints of banana. Just a little bit tart. Drinks very well.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Bottled 5/7/2011, I think (the date is smeared, but it has the new Yazoo bottle labels, so it is fresh.) Consumed July 4, 2011.

A- A glowing, hazy, unfiltered orange. This looks like what a hefe should, as best as I can tell.

S- Big banana notes. Some cloves. A little bit of peppery spice. Again, this smells dead on for the style.

T- Cool and refreshing. A wave of fresh banana and yeast roll over the palate, with just a bit of a spicy kick on the finish.

M- Light and easy drinking. A wonderful summer beer that is going down great as I grill some chicken on the 4th.

O- I admit to being a bit of a biased Nashvillian on this one. The is the beer that turned me on to hefes years ago, and it is still my go to for the style. Just an awesome example of the style that I can always get fresh. A must grab if you love wheat beers, and something you should try if you don't.

Hefeweizen from Yazoo Brewing Company