Dos Perros | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Many Mexican beer styles today are descendants of old Austrian styles, from when Austria ruled Mexico in the late 19th century. Our Dos Perros is made with German Munich malt, English Pale malt, and Chocolate malt, and hopped with Perle and Saaz hops. To lighten the body, as many Mexican brewers do, we add a small portion of flaked maize. The result is a wonderfully bready malt aroma, balanced with some maize sweetness and a noble hop finish.

Added by hopsaplenty on 11-24-2004

2.97/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

In the past few years I've given this beer quite a few tries. I live in Nashville (Yazoo's HQ) and my girlfriend loves this beer, but it just hasn't grown on me like I wished it had.

A: I love the color of this beer. It looks black until you put light behind it. Then it glows a deep ruby red, beautiful. I would only rate this beer higher if it had better head retention/lacing.

S: When I first poured it, I got some cocoa notes, and a slight spicy/smoky note. As it's warmed up, I smell alcohol which is very strange considering this beer is only 3.5%

T/M: When it's cold, I get more of the cocoa-smokey flavors. It's nicely bitter, but the high carbonation gives it a sharpness that doesn't fit it too well. As it warms up, the cocoa flavors fade and the beer gains an acrid quality.

O: It's a pretty beer, but it doesn't have enough to keep me around. Even if it did, I would need to let it de-carbonate to let the flavors bloom more.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

A medium brown in color with a thin tan head. Aromas of light milk chocolate. Taste is quite sweet caramel, and some toasty bread. A hint of hops to balance. Mouthfeel is amazingly rich. Overall this beer is remarkably flavorful for a mere 3.5% abv. I would certainly get this again.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy amber with a loose, large bubbly tan head with rather poor retention along with some better than average side glass laceing.
Weak roasty malts and slight coffee aroma come through but both are subtle.
Thin, a bit watery up front, but picks up with a dry finish where the malts and a hop touch show up.
After seeing some of the higher ratings I was expecting more. Worthy for sure but, for me, that is as high as I see this one.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz into nonic

A; looks very quite thin, probably due to the watered down cola look. It is brown but not showing the head or viscosity that I was hoping to see. probably due to the style combos but it's a bit disappointing.

S: caramel, coconut, slight herbal note

T: that interesting coconut/caramel combo shows up in the flavor, also a brightness that wasn't in the nose. it's not exaclty citric but leans toward that kind of acidic tone. very refreshing, clean finish.

M: Thin but a bit more body than the visual makes you think, good carbonation bite which may be playing into the acidic notes in the taste.

O: This one surprised me. The look just had me a bit cautious but for a 3.5 brown this is very drinkable and could work on a hot or a cool day. good work.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer pours a light bodied brown in color with a good amount of carbonation and a beige lacing around my glass. It gives off aromas of light chocolate malts, caramel, and toffee. It finishes with light bitterness. You can definitely tell it's Munich dark malt. All are very light and well integrated. It tastes of light chocolate malt and again is very heavy on the Munich malts. It it lightly bitter and subtly sweet. It tastes like a less nutty Altbairisch. It drinks very light and is as refreshing as a brown ale can be. For a smaller beer it has solid flavor and is a solid choice.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

From a bottle Nov 2 2012 bottled on Aug 3rd 2012

Clear dark brown with small head no lacing. No Idea what style this was when I bought it but brewed with English, Munich and Chocolate malts so I expected and English style something or other.

Much like I expected minus English yeast character. I guess that is OK because it is listed as an American Brown.

Smells sweeter than it tastes and looking at the ABV I guess that was the plan. Just enough Munich character to keep it interesting. At 3.5%ABV I guess this is a session ale and I think it hits the mark there.

A nice malty treat that you could enjoy over conversation with some friends.

Dos Perros from Yazoo Brewing Company