Sly Rye Porter | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: English Porter

A rich, chocolaty English Porter with a clean finish. We use the finest floor-malted Maris Otter malts from England, the same malts used for the best single-malt scotch. A portion of malted rye gives a spicy, slightly dry finish.

Added by clvand0 on 01-24-2005

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've never been a fan of Yazoo beers, but this is my favorite by them that i've had. As far as porters go, I love the balance in flavor in this. Personal rating: 8/10

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A- Black with a frothy white, 1-finger head; no light penetration.

S- Rye, chocolate, and a light coffee aroma.

T- Very little hop presence, rye is present throughout. Hints of chocolate and coffee are there until the end.

M- Medium to thick with a foamy carbonation.

O- I have had rye IPAs and rye stouts, but this was the first rye porter I have tasted. This sets a pretty good standard, IMO. I hope I can score some more in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

Bottled 3rd week of April 2011. Consumed July 4th 2011.

A- Very dark, brown with a reddish hue when the glass is tilted. Nice, creamy head with a modest amount of lacing, leaving nice rings around the top of a pint glass.

S- It smells...like a porter. Roasted malts, some sweetness, a bit of chocolate. I love the smell of a good porter, and this hits all the notes that one would expect.

T- Nice roasted malts up front. A tiny bit of sweetness. A bit of a tingle of spiciness, presumably from the rye in the middle. Finishes slightly dry. Kick from the rye becomes more pronounced as the beer warms.

M- Medium bodied, with a nice lingering quality.

O- I really like this beer, and I think it both one of the better beers that Yazoo does, and one of the better porters available in the Nashville market. It's a shame that bottles are only sold as part of the Yazoo mixed 12 pack. I would certainly drink more of this if that were not the case.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

I'm reviewing this one so I can add another state to my profile. And it's a pretty good beer. Yazoo is a hidden gem down in TN.

Opaque black with about a one finger french vanilla head. Slowly settles to a foamy ring along the glass. When I lift the glass, there are ruby highlights at the bottom around the edge.

The aroma is light but still has a good amount of complexity. A touch of molasses is in the background, along with some chocolate. The rye adds a dry graininess.

The rye sets up the base with a little bit of a sour tinge. There are some hops in there as well that compliment it well with a bit of bitterness. The hops are balanced with a little bit of sweet chocolate. The roasted malts come though as well, and come out almost like roasted black coffee. Rather full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. The chocolate and coffee hang on well after each sip.

A very good porter, and I'm not sure I've ever had one with rye. A good stand up beer, well made, well rounded, and definitely worth a six-pack at least. Recommended.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

A-Pours very dark, almost black with a thin tan head that dissipates immediately.

S-Some chocolate, roasted malt, and hint of dark fruits

T-Dark fruits along with a hint of chocolate and coffee, and a touch of roasted malt

M-Syrupy and somewhat thin

D-One could drink this all day long, no problem. A true session beer.

Overall, this beer was great. It was unlike any other porter I've had before because it seemed much more dark fruit forward than roasted. It was semi-sweet, but no where near too sweet. I'm glad I tried this while in Nashville.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is very dark brown with ruddy highlights. There is an inch and a half of tan head that just sits on top and is thick as hell. It reminds me of a Guinness head.

S - The smell is full of rich chocolate and fresh roasted coffee. I even get some earthy, nutty notes.

T - The taste carries what the smell brought to the party. At first I thought is was a bit mild, but these flavors jump out at you. The is some chocolate through the middle. This beer finishes with a strong black coffee taste with its bitterness.

M - Moderate to full

O - This beer fits right in with the Sam Smith's beers. This is a great English porter. It is loaded with aroma and flavor. This beer exceeded all expectations.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Picked up a Grower of this at the tap room after trying the sampler and choosing it as my favorite (no Hop Project or Sue available).
Pours a dark brown with a creamy light tan, almost off white head.
I can smell some dark chocolate and roasted malts. Also smell somethinig else that might be the rye.
Lots of chocolate flavor with the roasted malt bitterness and a pretty pronounced but not over powering rye flavor.
The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth making for great drinkability.
I think this is one of the better beers producted by Yazoo

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

bottle

appearance: dark brown/black, 1 finger off white head

smell: chocolate, caramel, malt, bread

taste: chocolate, lots of bready notes, coffee aftertaste, very well balanced, somewhat watery taste.

mouthfeel: really smooth, sits well on the palate

overall: great balanced porter, but wish it had a higher ABV and it would be a truly outstanding beer, just a little too watered down for my liking. You can thank tennessee beer laws for that one. I'd rather have YAZOO's SUE anyday, even though that's not a porter.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to unclejedi for this stubby, brought north & hand-delivered during Darkness Day. I know not if unclejedi knew of my rye obsession beforehand, if this was happy coincidence, or he has keen foresight...

Pours just shy of black, thinning around the temples to brown. Nose is nice on this fella, rich chocolate, sweet malt, & a finger-tingling feather of rye. I like it already.

Sly Rye is a fine addition to either the constellation of rye beer or porters. It mirrors the nose to a T-bone, except that the rye is more forward, imparting a bitter bite & heady spiciness that leaves the tongue aquiver. Roast shows up strong, too. In the end one is left with the spicy shot across the tongue & a rich, full chocolate-laced porter.

Excellent beer. One of the better porters I've had in a while, & packing this much flavor into a brew under 6% ABV is always to be applauded. Very nice.

4.14/5  rDev +8.4%