Hop Project #5 | Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States
yazoobrew.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by littleshamrocks on 02-05-2008

Reviews by littleshamrocks:
4.3/5  rDev 0%

First pour from a growler filled two days ago. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a medium copper with a burnt orange tint and a large, frothy, off-white head. Clarity is mostly clear with more than adequate carbonation. The head hangs around a good while and leaves rings of sticky lacing. This looks very inviting. Foremost in the nose is a distinct fruitiness, some citrus and peaches. Hidden just below the surface is a sweet, almost cookie-like maltiness, and some faint alcohol aroma as well. What strikes me most about the flavor is the balance. There are plenty of hops to be found here, with grapefruity citrus notes most evident and a fair amount of bitterness to boot. Then, about midway through, the sturdy malt backbone presents itself in the form of a toasted sweetness that reminds me of graham crackers. Also loads of fruity esters to be found here. There is some lingering bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium body with a somewhat dry texture and lively carbonation. Finish is lightly chalky.

As far as I could tell, this is the latest in a series of batches of IPA's designed to find just the right recipe for the brewery's upcoming regular IPA offering. Although I do have to admit, I didn't get a chance to try Hop Project's 1 thru 4, I would still say they have found a winner with #5. Great balance and a full flavor are the trademarks of this brew. I first tried this as part of their sampler at their taproom and liked it so much that I bought a pint and ultimately a growler full to take home with me. Although it was not listed anywhere, I would predict the abv at around 7%. This is well crafted and a credit to the style. It would be an honorable inclusion into their's or any other breweries regular line-up of beers.

Hop Project #5 from Yazoo Brewing Company