Hop Project #12 | Yazoo Brewing Company

Hop Project #12Hop Project #12

Yazoo Brewing Company
Tennessee, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

And the hops keep coming... for this rendition of our soon-to-be-world-famous Hop Project Ale, which will be number 12 in the series, we featured two relatively new varieties called Apollo and Bravo. Apollo, which we used in #3 (if I remember right), has a really pungent nose. almost garlicy. Bravo is much more mellow, kind of lemony. They are both bred from a Galena variety to be high-alpha (around 16%) but much more stable in storage. We bittered the beer with Apollo and Zeus in the first wort, then added some Galena, Goldings, and Bravo at 30 minutes, and Simcoe, Goldings, and Bravo at 5 minutes for aroma. Then we dryhopped it with some Goldings and Amarillo. The old calculations say it's over 100 IBUs, which makes us happy.

Added by Misfit138 on 03-21-2009

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by Misfit138:
4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from my growler into pint glass. I must have poured too hard since the head was more than two inches of a nice foaminess. Nice amber color.

Strong citrus almost floral sent, even hint of garlic.

Nice smooth sweet taste upfront followed by a strong bitterness. Grapefruit and garlic.

Moderate mouthfeel, not overly carbonated.

Pretty high drinkability.

The first hop project I had the opportunity to taste.

The following was stolen from the brewmaster's blog!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Hop Project #12 kegged today, March 18

This batch was the one we planned on bottling, but the labels are taking their sweet time getting printed, and the kegs are zipping out of here at such a rate, now that we have it on tap at a few places other than the taproom, that we decided to keg out all of this batch. It's looking like the batch we first bottle will be lucky #13, which is fermenting away as we speak.

Come on by the taproom this weekend and give it a taste!

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer is still available locally here in Nashville as of 5/22/09. I picked up a four pack at Midtown Wine & Spirts.

A - Fairly opaque honey orange with a big three finger head. Significant lacing as well.

S- Awesome. Great big citrus nose with some sweet floral notes to boot.

T- Nicely bittered grapefruit upfront that moves to big (but well balanced) oily hop flavor with a long finish.

M- Pleasant medium body with bright carbonation

D- For hopheads, very drinkable. For those a little less hops crazy, this might not be the session beer of choice.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

Sampled at the Schlafly Repeal Festival in St. Louis, MO. Yazoo Brewing was a guest brewery for the festival. Pours gold into my sampler glass with a white fluffy head. Smell is overwhelmingly hoppy and citrus. Taste is a hop bomb...wow. Mouthfeel is light-medium with good carbonation. A very good beer but after a couple, I'd have to throw in the towel.

4.21/5  rDev -3%

A - Dark, golden orange with a big, fluffy off-white head. Excellent retention and lacing. One of the best looking IPA's I have seen.

S - Big citrus notes with lots of grapefruit. A little sweetness in the back with some biscuity smells. Hops really are the big player in this one though.

T - A little biscuity sweetness initially quickly overwhelmed by a big citrusy bitterness. Grapefruit mixed with a hint of lemon zest. Nice combo. Good tasting IPA here, but still not as good as #9 in my book.

M/D - Medium bodied with an nice hoppy oiliness. Very easy drinking with a nice lingering hoppiness.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

My first Hop Project brew from these guys and I wasn't disappointed at all! It was terrific!

It looked heavenly in the glass with its burnt orange appearance and huge fluffy head...pungent citrusy grapefruit aromas wafted up out of the glass at me letting me know I was in for a wonderfully hoppy brew...

This is reminiscent of many of the better IPAs that I've ever had... Its loaded with hoppiness that brings a juiciness and drinkability that only the select few have...these guys are continuing to impress the hell out of me with their brews... I can't wait to see this one in bottles...

Well done, Linus!!

4.64/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Honestly, I don't remember... not because I was drinking heavily, but because I had SO many sample glasses today. If I recall correctly, clear and orange in color, as an APA/IPA should be.

Smell: HOPS! Beautiful! Citrus and spicy, as a dry hopped beer should be.

Taste: Spectacular! This is awesome. I went to a beer tasting at Schlafly's brewery in Saint Louis, MO, and this was the top beer of the day (yes, I realize that this brewery is fom Tennessesse, but I suppose they were invited in). Inviting Yazoo was not a good move on Schlafly's part, as Yazoo's brews were better than the host's! Hops, hops, hops, and more hops. You homebrewers know what it is like sticking your nose in a bag of hops and taking a deep wonderful wiff? Yeah, it's just like that. Hops up front, during, and after. I wish I could tell you what variety, exactly, but it's NOT just Cascade; there is more than one variety in here.

Mouthfeel: Superb! Crispy.

Drinkability: The reason I gave it a four is that while I love love love the hops, it might get a little bit much for a session brew. Otherwise, refreshing and delicious.

Hop Project #12 from Yazoo Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.